1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you Password a Forum section?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by surfsup, Jun 12, 2012.

1. surfsup

surfsup Well-Known Member

I searched and cant find a thread on it....haha...but is it possible?
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Creating custom usergroups sounds like a much better option though.
  3. surfsup

So your saying out of my 12,000+ members I have to separate the registered members in order to view a certain forum? How stupid!
  4. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

That's how forum permissions work.
  5. Chris D

So you're saying it's going to be much more effective to give some of your forum members a special password that they can potentially leak out and give to other forum members?

What's the criteria for getting access to this forum?

You must have some way of disseminating a password to them so there must be some way of identifying them. Is it post count, trophy points, registration date, their age?

In my mind giving a password out to individuals is no different to giving some of them a special user group.

If you're more clear on exactly what you want to achieve and why we may be able to advise a way to automate it.
  6. ragtek

ragtek Guest

7. Chris D

Well I stand corrected.

But I still think usergroup permissions are way more effective.

Thanks ragtek.

It would be really useful if xfrocks put that add-on in the Resource Manager with a more descriptive name.
  8. surfsup

No, basically it's a password protected room where anyone can have the password if they want to join into the discussion or not, because the room is basically a 'Flame' room for heated debates.
  9. Chris D

Oh ok.

That sounds fun :D

Yeah that add-on ragtek posted that I had no idea of its existence will help you.
    CyclingTribe and surfsup like this.
  10. Jake Hakoda Shirley

Jake Hakoda Shirley Active Member

So that add-on allows ANY moderator to set/remove passwords. Is there a way I can edit this to check that only users of that specific forum can set/alter the password?

EDIT: Never mind, this add-on works very well.