Can vB3.8 be still considered modern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see anything that I haven't seen yet on a 3.8.6 powered forum?

It's also easy to keep a forum fast when there are 8 visitors in total online (it's actually not that fast if you consider the low number of visitors).

If you want to see a super fast big board check this one: http://www.bokt.nl/forums/ and it's phpBB. Most of the speed actually comes from having an optimal server setup...

But does the page still reload for each post - that's the key thing. No matter how fast it is, if the board is still chugging through a page reload for every post, it's an antique now.

i have an average of 1000 ppl online at anyone time and my forum uses vb3.8 and its still super fast. but i wouldnt call it modern hehe

can not wait till i upgrade to xenforo :)

Interesting links and dutchbb that forum you linked to is incredibly fast!!!

Personally I do think vb3.x looks dated, even on that link above. In terms of visuals my favourites so far are XenForo and phpbb (the skin used on their home site, not the older blue one).

Sometimes I wanna go back vB3.8 route. Familiarity and essential addons make the old lady tempting. I just wonder how far Mike and Kier will take XenForo in terms of CMS, Gallery, etc.

Sometimes I wanna go back vB3.8 route. Familiarity and essential addons make the old lady tempting. I just wonder how far Mike and Kier will take XenForo in terms of CMS, Gallery, etc.

I understand that quite well, however, I am quite content with moving forward after 10 years.

My vb3.8.4 site ran like greased-lightning!!! Simplicity is the key. It had limited styling and CSS, used simple tables to render the content, and was unencumbered with tie-ins to other elements like articles or CMS.

I had sub-one second page loading with 500+ active members, and that was before I really optimised my server!!!

The problem is, I want more than just forums, I want some static, article style content, a gallery, live chat, etc. and that all adds to "bulking" up your site.

What's refreshing about xF of course is that it is simple, and the focus goes on content rather than widgets. vB 3 had that too - fast and simple (at least the front end was for end users - it was very powerful under the bonnet!!)

Still valid, even if it is a bit dated now.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

What's refreshing about xF of course is that it is simple, and the focus goes on content rather than widgets. vB 3 had that too - fast and simple (at least the front end was for end users - it was very powerful under the bonnet!!)
What else XenForo and vB3.8 have in common? They are both IE6 friendly! :D

Here is a really big vB 3.8 one... http://www.blackopsforum.com/index.php

Just scroll down youll see what im talking about.

So 100,000 posts and <10,000 users is considered really big now? :p

Just stumbled on this forum; and it's powered by vB3.8.6. Wow.. it has a nice modern design; and it's super fast.

http://community.gamerex.net

Sure it's fast. It has only about 5,000 posts and not much traffic. Really ... if your vBulletin 3.8 forum is slow with that kind of traffic you are doing something completely wrong ... big time.

I think when the legal matters are settled and the mod's are mature, XF will explode and people will move from vB 3, many are waiting for these factors to occur.

I hate the look and the UI on that script.

I also hate the licensing structure changes, so I will be moving away completely as time passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom