Can vB3.8 be still considered modern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can vB3.8 be still considered modern?
Not IMHO.... No. Its a decade old foundation off framework... not real sure "modern" is appropriate for 3.x or 4.x, considering 4.x is 3.x with a CMS hacked into the core.

The problem is, I want more than just forums, I want some static, article style content, a gallery, live chat, etc. and that all adds to "bulking" up your site.
Your site, yes. "Site" being the key word.

A forum is only one part of a site. I don't really understand why so many people want the forum to be the site, and expect the forum to do everything a site does. A good site should do all kinds of things that you wouldn't expect the forum to do. You can't jam them all into the forum box.

You can't jam it all into a magic CMS box either. A CMS is just a site framework for people who can't edit files. It was never meant to replace a well made site. It seems that all this "bundling" came about because a lot of people can't build a framework or template that maintains a consistent appearance between all the different elements of a site. But that's really not a difficult thing to do. It's better to do it yourself. You have more flexibility and control.

I don't understand the pressure on forum developers to add a CMS to a perfectly good forum. Jack of all trades, master of none.

This is a strange thread.

vBulletin obviously must have had something going for it to be the #1 forum solution out there. There was nothing really wrong with 3.8.x other than being a continued evolution of a system that was not really able to support the kind of modern architecture needed to move forward. I'm not sure why IB felt that 3.8.x sold as a maintained product for 2-3 years while vB4 was written from the ground up was not an acceptable option. But the fact that all but 2 IB forums are still running 3.8.x shows they don't eat their own dog food.

[...] But the fact that all but 2 IB forums are still running 3.8.x shows they don't eat their own dog food.
That says a lot about this company doesn't it? I'm not even sure if the reason is that they feel vb4 is worse, it's probably because they just don't care about it as long as these sites bring in money.

Any sort of maintenance of their own communities which costs time or money is not generally SOP for IB.

That says a lot about this company doesn't it? I'm not even sure if the reason is that they feel vb4 is worse, it's probably because they just don't care about it as long as these sites bring in money.

Well aren't their forums highly modified? If so then they won't move till vB4 is stable enough for those mods to come out.

But I do agree, as everyone would think they would roll out their own product on their own sites... heck even to promote it... kinda sad!

How does one define "modern?" I'm a member of a very popular board that still uses IPB 1.3, even though its technically obsolete.

FYI, vB3forever.org project is basically dead.
  • IB has continued to release patches for 3.8.
  • XenForo has taken most of the enthusiasm for the project. (not its fault)
  • There haven't been any security flaws which needed a patch, which IB has not dealt with.
If IB stopped releasing patches for vB3.8, then you will see vB3forever resume.

The big difference that makes xenForo modern is it's foundation. I don't think UI features alone will ever elevate forum software above the rest, but rather the core upon which it is developed. I'm not referring to Kier and Mike personally, but rather the approach they have taken in reference to 3rd party code additions.

I think the reason some of you are placing vBulletin 3.8 on the same level of modern-ness as xenForo, is the vast amount of modifications available. Once xenForo reaches RC stage, I expect so see a surge of third party development.

I'm still experimenting during the beta stage, but once it becomes solid enough for a public environment, I'll be cranking out some add-ons to replace my current vBulletin setup.

How does one define "modern?" I'm a member of a very popular board that still uses IPB 1.3, even though its technically obsolete.

I liked 1.3 it was a nice version :)

No iteration of vB can be considered Modern... it hasn't been for a VERY long time now.

IPB has had it all over vB in terms of "modernness" for probably at least 3 years, some would argue a lot longer.

Now I believe xenforo has it all over all of them in terms of modernness, just needs a final release and a few add ons and it is going to explode.

Trent I agree with you 100% about the mod explosion, but I do think the pending litigation is a large factor to everyone involved, I feel a lot of buyers are holding back, and so are a lot of developers, until these legal matters are settled.

I liked 1.3 it was a nice version :)

No iteration of vB can be considered Modern... it hasn't been for a VERY long time now.

IPB has had it all over vB in terms of "modernness" for probably at least 3 years, some would argue a lot longer.

Now I believe xenforo has it all over all of them in terms of modernness, just needs a final release and a few add ons and it is going to explode.

i reckon vb3 can look modern if one is willing to put the work into it, but after having used xf vb3 feels 'clunky'. not in an entirely bad way; a 63 corvette feels clunky and nonmodern too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom