Can vB3.8 be still considered modern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click on the link in my post so you can read about the vBulletin FAQ exploit.

Oh right I remember now. They had the PL version for it.

So I guess you got a point then.

Though I don't know it in too much details since I used 3.8.2 for the longest time. Then upgraded recently to 3.8.6 PL.

I have already decided to move all my forums off of vBulletin as soon as possible due to this fiasco and most of all due to the highly fraudulent licensing scheme dreamed up by Ray Morgan and Bob Brisco.

Now I have a dilemma.

Do I move to IPB or hold on to vB 3.8 long enough for these lawsuits to be settled and use XF ???

Bob Brisco has created a nightmare for all vB forum owners, we should calculate our collective damages, then file a massive lawsuit against IB, I hope a law firm emerges that can manage this case for all vBulletin forum owners who have been damaged by Internet Brands.

We just dumped all our mod's including vB Advanced links directory because of this decision to move away from vB software, there is no reason to update vB A links directory and keep working on that, so we lost about 5 years of work just there and a large part of our forums.

Do I move to IPB or hold on to vB 3.8 long enough for these lawsuits to be settled and use XF ?
Why move from one behemoth to another? I would stay with vB3.8 till XenForo goes gold and essential add-ons are offered. I don't really worry about the IB-vs-XF lawsuit. XenForo won't die no matter how the litigation ends.

I just want to get off of vB........

ASAP
Simple... move to XF. I wanted out, so I shutup and moved! It really is that easy. There is no drama about the decision... big boards, small boards, new startups... all making the decision daily to move to XF.

I don't understand the reason for the drama to be perfectly honest. I never understood the reason for all the hate on VB either... if you don't like something, you move away from it.

What you call drama is an investment in time, money and work, years of it lost.

When I purchased vBulletin licenses we were building upon a solid foundation at the time, that was all ruined by Bob Brisco, there is the hate factor Anthony, now the lawsuits are not only effecting the directors of Xenforo but all customers and potential customers.

There is some hate for you to consider Anthony.

When I purchased vBulletin licenses we were building upon a solid foundation at the time, that was all ruined by Bob Brisco, there is the hate factor Anthony, now the lawsuits are not only effecting the directors of Xenforo but all customers and potential customers.

Look the truth of the matter is WE KNOW what you're going through... but you seem to make yourself sound weak.

There is no point in whining. I mean come on we all moved because it didn't matter what we said or did. At least here it does.

So as Anthony said. it's real simple.

Either stick with 3.8 till XF reaches Gold. + addons. Or just move to XF now.

it's that simple really.... and most of us have picked one of those 2 options.

There is no point in bashing vB or IB etc.. It won't CHANGE anything. It just reminds of us a terrible place. And I think being here at XF people are tired of hearing or having the negative energy from vB/IB.

XF has it's own energy and it's calm and very positive. People like it so channel your self into it. Leave the past where it is. We all lost a lot, but that's business. We also will gain a lot in the future here at XF.

So just move on now and let the past stay where it should... move on to XF and forget it all. It's a business and a learning tool in life. You win some and you lose some.. and then you win some again.

What's even worse IMHO, is that I looked at the announcements of VB running 4.1 now, and there isn't much added to it at all for a major release, which means 4.1 is still 3.x with a CMS.

I go with the above opinion still.... its like using Windows XP vs. XF is like using OSX on steroids.

What's even worse IMHO, is that I looked at the announcements of VB running 4.1 now, and there isn't much added to it at all for a major release, which means 4.1 is still 3.x with a CMS.

I go with the above opinion still.... its like using Windows XP vs. XF is like using OSX on steroids.
Windows ME > Windows XP in performance... Or lack thereof.

Don't get me started. You should see the licensing forum. I'd say just about ALL the left over supporters seem like they had enough.

Honestly, even the ones that had a new hope. They are bashing them like there is no tomorrow.

4.1 is just 4.0.10 really..

I just think 4.1 leads to a faster level to vB5, which = more money from members to upgrade. And from the replies I can say NO one is willing to spend another dime anymore.

Honestly, it's so depressing to go to the vB support forums now. All I see is total hate from members. It is a TOTALLY different CUSTOMER atmosphere at vB and XF.

I feel so relaxed here and have great discussions with all of you.

Everybody you see around you, everyone you talk to have invested both financially, emotionally heck even putting vasts amount of time when we had our vbulletin solution, which to be honest, wasn't really a solution but a mindset we all had living in ignorant bliss that because vbulletin was a great piece of software it automatically earned this status in our heads.

I personally moved on over two years ago I abandoned vbulletin because I knew the software was outdated then and even more so now and their flagship product was a disastrous piece of horse crap that isn't worthy of picking up. The point being, many people stagnated or either moved on and now a contendor for the miss beauty contest 2010 is now under way and many people want to enter. Migrate, it's a move that you need to make. Risky? Well let's just say you took bigger risks by believing in vbulletin at some point, believing that the foundations they built was on steady ground just to get you to move into a home that turned out to be a temporary resting place for your content.

It's either IPB (a good investment I feel) or xenforo a better solution which is maturing at a good rate of knots but the risks involved are far lower than what your risking now by allowing a stagnated product dictate your sites. vbulletin have too much of a strangle hold on people like a bad relationship. Leave it behind.

Well said Shelley. I would also add that I was as surprised with IPB as I was with XF, and it seems to me that these two scripts will eventually after a couple of years dominate the market.

Well said Shelley. I would also add that I was as surprised with IPB as I was with XF, and it seems to me that these two scripts will eventuall after a couple of years dominate the market.

I'll tell you something. This fiasco that went on at internet brands was the best thing that ever happened to IPB. It opened the majority of peoples eyes. They got their dignity back and developed a backbone and switched to a solution that really is making great progress. Matt and charles know how to treat their customers, there's so much interaction that they make on a daily basis and always support any issues that arise leaving the customer content.

I follow alot of the progress Matt, charles and their team make and am impressed on how fast they develop and retain that high standard of quality. The thing is they do it with ease, as does xenforo where vbulletin struggle and produce and sell low quality products that come with issues. I never took much in the old saying "too many cooks kill the broth" but this sums up vbulletin down to a tee. The word "robbing *******s" also comes to mind but we can leave that for a rainy day.

The best way to hurt vbulletin is to walk away. They don't love or respect you they want your hard earned money and will grab it anyway they can. The business ethnics are very questionable even going down as far as their support staff who advised people to buy 3 series licences a day before the vb4 launch knowing that they would need to purchase again.

Anyway, 3-4 years this has been going on so people need to stop hoping that diablo and their staff have the customers best interests. They don't and never will.

That's my "advice of the day". I'll accept a brand new ipad as payment for the money I hopefully save anyone.

Great posts Shelley, but walking away is not what I'm doing, I am being forced out by buggy scripts that can't be depended on, in addition to an ill conceived licensing scheme that strips all value from the vBulletin software we supposedly purchased for lifetime use.

I can tell you one thing, this is like attending your own funeral that never ends, I guess that is a great description of a Titanic nightmare.

Thank you Mr. Brisco for all you do for the betterment of the web !!! :rolleyes:

Great posts Shelley, but walking away is not what I'm doing, I am being forced out by buggy scripts that can't be depended on, in addition to an ill conceived licensing scheme that strips all value from the vBulletin software we supposedly purchased for lifetime use.

I can tell you one thing, this is like attending your own funeral that never ends, I guess that is a great description of a Titanic nightmare.

Thank you Mr. Brisco for all you do for the betterment of the web !!! :rolleyes:
And you're not the only one who went through it on this site :rolleyes:.

Either change software, pay to downgrade (Brandon at XenFans offers a service), or stick with vB4, but for god sakes, just quit the whining. My spoiled 6 year old cousin doesn't even whine this much.

I have a suggestion for you Forsaken, don't read my posts or any threads here that discuss vB, Bob Brisco, Internet Brands and the lawsuits, and try to quit killing threads with your comments about what members here can post about, that is your constant "whining".

Haven't we discussed this before ??

I have a suggestion for you Forsaken, don't read my posts or any threads here that discuss vB, Bob Brisco, Internet Brands and the lawsuits, and try to quit killing threads with your comments about what members here can post about, that is your constant "whining".

Haven't we discussed this before ??

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom