California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, from what i understand, this is like a Neverending Story?
Yep.
Or will this all stop in February? Sorry if i am wrong but i dont understand all of that
The judge, and KAM wants February to be the end, but it all boils down to the legal clerk, and Internet Brands. IB is trying to stall this suit for as long as they can so that they can burn KAM's pocket.
Just bought my 10th license. That's 7 more licenses than I ever bought from IB. IB can go **** themselves.
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAA! :)

The judge, and KAM wants February to be the end, but it all boils down to the legal clerk, and Internet Brands. IB is trying to stall this suit for as long as they can so that they can burn KAM's pocket.

Thats what i think, also if xenforo should win, IB will find something else they can use to keep the Lawsuit going.

Really ridiculous. I wanted to buy a license, but with all that i have to think about it twice, also because i cannot afford money just out of my pocket.
Whatever Forum Software i compare, xenforo is one of the best atm, but this Lawsuit ruins it all

Thats what i think, also if xenforo should win, IB will find something else they can use to keep the Lawsuit going.
They can't do that. Once a lawsuit is done, it's over. That's it. Companies can't just file lawsuits just for the sake of "doing whatever they want." There has to be a legitimate reason, or the lawsuit is thrown out from the first minute the judge sees it, especially if the judge knows about the previous lawsuit. They also have investors to answer to. They look at this lawsuit, and they see a new one, the C.E.O. is in big trouble, chances are Brisco is in even more trouble than empathized.

Next move Brisco takes about this lawsuit; he's done. Fired. 5 bucks says he loses his job.
Really ridiculous. I wanted to buy a license, but with all that i have to think about it twice, also because i cannot afford money just out of my pocket.
Whatever Forum Software i compare, xenforo is one of the best atm, but this Lawsuit ruins it all
If I were you, I'd take that risk. But that's just me. vBulletin's vB4 line destroyed a few of my sites. Not a fan of IPB. Not a fan of most of the free forum software on the market. xenForo is the only true winner of the whole market.

Reactions: R_A
So, from what i understand, this is like a Neverending Story?
Or will this all stop in February? Sorry if i am wrong but i dont understand all of that

Tsin Ju it looks like the judge has allowed the other side to have a reasonable period to mess about - 2 years. That's important so they cant claim later they were treated unfairly - leading to appeal. That's (in crude terms) why all the delay so far.

Now the judge is moving on.
There's a meeting in the new year (western year) when he will decide whether to make a final decision right then based on the idea that all the info is now available.
That is unlikely Again it could open up possibility of appeal so not best thing.
If he decides not to do that he'll set a trial date which is expected to be in February.

We were discussing whether a settlement might happen where IB drops the case by agreement. But it would have to be a very good agreement for XF to accept.

So it all depends on the next couple of months really.

Yes I'm talking to a big international university project opening next year about using a forum for their online needs. That'll be my XF no. 4.

Just throwing this out there for opinions because my knowledge of appeals is limited.

If XF wins in the next few months, we're going to see active development again (wohoo!). But, if IB appeals the case, my understanding is that an appeal would not look at new evidence but rather evaluate if the lower court decision was done properly. Because of that, if IB were to lose and appeal, is it likely XF development would be stalled again, or rather because XF has been proven innocent in a court of law, they'll be able to continue development without much legal trouble?

It's actually well documented in this thread that IB simply can not appeal because they feel like it. They need to have proper legal grounds to do so.

I think I remember Kier or someone on the xenForo team asked "what would it take for a settlement." I didn't like the sound of that, because it just sounds like they're trying to take the easy way out. Then again, it's actually a test to see just how "gracious" IB is.

Judge Real has implored this case be settled.

XF has asked what would it take to be settled but from what I also recall in this thread, it's standard procedure.

I really hope XF win (obviously), no one deserves to be put through this much stress, for such a long period of time
And in a perfect world, no company should be allowed to inflict this stress on individuals and families, just because of greed, it should be illegal and punishable with jail terms and long term fines on the company responsible.

Mike, are you saying that XF won't win or should that say "I have no doubts that xF will win" :)

No xF will win for sure. I guess maybe I worded it wrong. Seemed more to me though no doubts xF will win would mean I felt they would lose

I edited my post so the wording wasn't confusing (y)

I trully hope tht XenForo wins. I plan to migrate my 4 forums to xF. But should xF loose, there's always IPB.

However, I do know one thing. vBulletin won't be the forum software of my choice.

Just buy XF - that's what I did. It's a cliche, but time is money. To me the price for XF is nothing when you add up the time it saves you long term (not to mention the server load :) ).

All XenForo wants for Christmas is for Internet Brands / vBulletin to go *&^*#$/-* for all the needless trouble they've caused.

But I guess we'll all have to just settle for knowing that in the end, XenForo will be victorious in the end :D

My advice to anyone hesitating to drop $140 plus the commitment of choosing to install Xenforo is to go ahead and do it.
Shawn Hogan of http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ is migrating his vBulletin 4 forum to Xenforo. Shawn has invested a huge amount of time coding the extra functionality he needs to get Digital Point working on Xenforo. He wouldn't do that without good reason. And that reason, as he pointed out to me, is that whatever happens to the lawsuit, Xenforo remains the best core forum product.
I agree and I think that whatever happens to Xenforo, there will be a community of good coders creating addons.
For me at least, there is no better alternative product at the moment.
And AVForums is at vBulletin 3.8 and I haven't installed any upgrade (and won't) since Kier left, so we're effectively unsupported. So for me I lose nothing in that regard if I upgrade and the lawsuit is a disaster.
And I don't think the lawsuit will be a disaster. I think XF will win.
So my best advice to anyone considering installing Xenforo is to go ahead and do it. That's the best option I see right now.

My advice to anyone hesitating to drop $140 plus the commitment of choosing to install Xenforo is to go ahead and do it.
Shawn Hogan of http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ is migrating his vBulletin 4 forum to Xenforo. Shawn has invested a huge amount of time coding the extra functionality he needs to get Digital Point working on Xenforo. He wouldn't do that without good reason. And that reason, as he pointed out to me, is that whatever happens to the lawsuit, Xenforo remains the best core forum product.
I agree and I think that whatever happens to Xenforo, there will be a community of good coders creating addons.
For me at least, there is no better alternative product at the moment.
And AVForums is at vBulletin 3.8 and I haven't installed any upgrade (and won't) since Kier left, so we're effectively unsupported. So for me I lose nothing in that regard if I upgrade and the lawsuit is a disaster.
And I don't think the lawsuit will be a disaster. I think XF will win.
So my best advice to anyone considering installing Xenforo is to go ahead and do it. That's the best option I see right now.

So he says anyways. He's waiting just like a lot of people. Otherwise he would have done it a long time ago. It's no secret that he has a non-public copy of DP that runs Xenforo on his sandbox server or whatever - he releases screen shots every now and then. He's waiting to see if it's feasible to move a big forum like DP over here. That's my 2 cents although if Shawn is about maybe he'd pitch in and validate this or correct it.

Xenforo will win. I have no doubts about it. It's seemed like it from the start. All this happens to be is bad politics from IB. Once it's done...it's done. We just need the judge to make that final call already.

So he says anyways. He's waiting just like a lot of people. Otherwise he would have done it a long time ago. It's no secret that he has a non-public copy of DP that runs Xenforo on his sandbox server or whatever - he releases screen shots every now and then. He's waiting to see if it's feasible to move a big forum like DP over here. That's my 2 cents although if Shawn is about maybe he'd pitch in and validate this or correct it.
All this is a bit off-topic, but, Shawn has a HUGE site, and he has said many times that with his massively customized site, he needs to ensure he has all of the the functionality he needs to make the change. I agree though, that, his word on this point is the only thing that matters. That said, it seems that he has at least taken steps to move to XF (evidenced by his posts, releases of add-ons, etc.). He may or may not be moving digitalpoint.com to XF, but his efforts and posts seem to indicate that he is looking to do so...whether anyone else could do what he is doing, with his own ability to custom code his needs is a far different question. But, seems to me he is taking serious steps to move away from vB. Maybe he adds his 2cents, or maybe not.

Xenforo will win. I have no doubts about it. It's seemed like it from the start. All this happens to be is bad politics from IB. Once it's done...it's done.

I agree that XF wins this battle (and the war). And that IB has not only engaged in bad politics, but that they have made a fight out of nothing- they have no case and I cannot see a single claim they have made prevailing on their part.

Xenforo will win. I have no doubts about it. It's seemed like it from the start. All this happens to be is bad politics from IB. Once it's done...it's done. We just need the judge to make that final call already.
He says he's recoding over 1 million lines to be added to/compatible with xenforo. Whether he is finished with all that, he hasn't said, but I would assume that that would taken quite a bit of time. I'm sure that when he's ready to move, he will. It would be stupid of him to move right now if he hasn't recoded all his stuff back into xf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom