California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow im lost floris is involved in the case? whats going on?
Apparently because Floris blogged about XenForo, and intimated that he had inside knowledge about XenForo, he's now a witness - or at least his blog is being used against XF.

I like this section.
10 years to develop, 2 years to run it into the ground.
And any moron can see that XF is vB in a prettier package. :confused:
No, XF is not vB in a prettier package. That's what IB wants people to believe tho.

I don't see the point of including Floris' blog? Is it to do with dates / times etc.?
Bingo.

A lot can be accomplished in 12 months with endless hours of hard work and utilizing a good framework.

Which is exactly what they did. Started with the Zend framework, and spent darn near 24 hours a day coding this software - and there was 2 of them, not just Kier. Mike and Kier are both amazing coders.

No, XF is not vB in a prettier package. That's what IB wants people to believe tho.
Peggy, Peggy. You missed my sarcasm. I really need to work on that.
Only a moron would believe it is the same as you need to be a moron to believe it. Wait. That doesn't make sense.
It takes a moron to believe they are the same. So I am insinuating that they are morons.

Only a moron would believe it is the same as you need to be a moron to believe it. Wait. That doesn't make sense.
It takes a moron to believe they are the same. So I am insinuating that they are morons.

You had me at peggy. :P

LOL no I got it.

But many others may not. Especially someone spying here from IB, might take it as an affirmation.
Sorry!

Well as they say The Plot Thickens.. I would assume it would take ten years to bloat XF like the stuffed hog that vB has become..

I did like the part where IB mentions XF is more advanced. Cant argue with that even with IB's inflated egos..

vB is no doubt a more "Mature" option.. Except i consider the "Mature" term (relating to vB) as a 90 yr old man with terminal cancer..

Theres no way to stop someone from earning a living after they wait the 12 months since leaving your company. It happens to every company and they need to suck it up and make their product better as opposed to crying because their ex-girlfriend is now dating a jock.

Theres no way to stop someone from earning a living after they wait the 12 months since leaving your company. It happens to every company and they need to suck it up and make their product better as opposed to crying because their ex-girlfriend is now dating a jock.

I think the issue comes in when you take into consideration that K/M were working on XF (according to IB) almost from the day they left IB's employment. IB is suggesting that K/M were not permitted to even work on a competing product until one year after they left IB's employment. Also I believe that the domain was registered before the year was up?

Seriously, the eventual movie on the begining of xenforo is looking better and better...

Now I really want to meet Kier over a beer in some pub in the U.K. where I tell him to 'moon the guys at I.B.' at some meeting so that vin diesel can play that scene in the movie...

I think the issue comes in when you take into consideration that K/M were working on XF (according to IB) almost from the day they left IB's employment. IB is suggesting that K/M were not permitted to even work on a competing product until one year after they left IB's employment. Also I believe that the domain was registered before the year was up?

Correct. However, Ashley might have registered the domain, and his year was definitely up.

I like this section.
17. Based upon my involvement in the computer industry for over 13 years, my knowledge of the vBulletin software since 2006, my extensive background in computer programming for 15-20 years, and my review of the source code used in theXenForo software, in my opinion, it would have been impossible for a software company ofXenforo's size to develop XenForo from scratch between June 30,2009, and July 28, 2010, as stated by Darby in paragraphs 6 and 9 his declaration in support of his motion. It took Jelsoft and VBSI more than ten (10) years to develop vBulletin to this point with Darby working on the project. The fact that Darby was able to program and release a bulletin board software program that included certain more advanced features than vBulletin in a mere thirteen months is a clear indication to me that Xenforo and its programmers simply copied vBulletin's code, and spent the last year adding to this product the new features that were planned for subsequent versions ofvBulletin. I declare under penalty of perjury of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed this 23rd day of December, 2010 at El Segundo, California.
10 years to develop, 2 years to run it into the ground.
And any moron can see that XF is vB in a prettier package. :confused:

The point is, if he really said that then he hasn't bothered to actually look at the code in XF, which bearing in mind they're saying that XF is built upon stolen VB code is a tad bizarre.

It really is worth pointing out, adding a feature into an existing product is often much, much harder than adding it into a new one. You have a lot more to think about with an existing package by way of existing data - new products don't have that issue.

I've been working with both codebases over the last day or so on a project I'm working on and to say XF is built on VB code is like saying Windows 7 was built using Mac OS code.

i.e. complete rollocks. To state this is bad enough, but to sue someone over it is hugely incompetent. The fact the law suite was launched before XF even was released is clear evidence that they didn't have a shred of evidence.

As for ideas being incorporated into XF that were allegedly thought up during meetings when working at IB - I'm no legal expert, but you can't copyright an idea and I have no doubt issues like this arise thousands of times a year when employees move from one company to another. There should be no shortage of legal precedents to look at, if this is the case.

It does sound like that they are claiming the idea was owned by IB and the fact that its allegedly used in XF is an infringement on their property. But is an idea the property of anyone? If the idea or concept came from outside IB (i.e. whoever suggested it read it on a website the night before), is it still their idea?

But it really does sound like IB are clutching at straws and just hoping that XF roll over and give up.

The court date is in early Jan, isn't it?

It does sound like that they are claiming the idea was owned by IB and the fact that its allegedly used in XF is an infringement on their property. But is an idea the property of anyone? If the idea or concept came from outside IB (i.e. whoever suggested it read it on a website the night before), is it still their idea?

I so look forward to IB claiming rights over such things as the 'like' function and the ability to 'follow' people.
wink.png

But it really does sound like IB are clutching at straws and just hoping that XF roll over and give up.

My money remains on that, having had a similar experience myself - only for the buggers to rollover totally 2 days before the court hearing, although I suspect IB will try to stretch this out for as long as they can in view of the sums potentially involved here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom