California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
there have been any number of legal people (I don't mean good amateurs like me, but legal folks) who have repeatedly said that the UK system requires at least a basic, reasonable case to be lodged for a plaintiff to go forward.
Repetition does not make it any more true.

In both the UK and US, the claimant or plaintiff may make any claims they choose to bring, provided the claims are legally sound.

In both the UK and US, the claimant or plaintiff may make any claims they choose to bring, provided the claims are legally sound.

It's the whole "Everyone deserves their day in court" argument vs. the "Frivolous court actions to stifle competition" argument. The US court system is not perfect, but it's the best we got. As with all cases, a good judge will determine if the former or latter is occurring. Unfortunately, the only parties sure to win in the grand scheme of things, are the lawyers on both side. The clients on both sides have already lost, sadly.

The clients on both sides have already lost, sadly.
IB has lost nothing. This lawsuit has been great for IB. It's was an excellent business decision by IB to sue Xenforo. Xenforo is the only party being harmed. Unless you can say that IB is spending all their money on lawyers and not programmers and the result is this. But we know IB has mountains of money.

IB has lost nothing. This lawsuit has been great for IB. It's was an excellent business decision by IB to sue Xenforo. Xenforo is the only party being harmed. Unless you can say that IB is spending all their money on lawyers and not programmers and the result is this. But we know IB has mountains of money.
I disagree. I believe they have not only spent a fortune, but have probably been considerably damaged by public perception. It was the whole lawsuit thing that sent me here, from a thread on vb, not a devious plot by kam to solicit customers from some alleged stolen customer list, as IB is claiming in legal briefs. I was basically sent here by them, and I'm sure others were too. They lost me because of their own decisions to scream bloody murder from the highest mountain top with respect to their rights to protect their intellectual property, which I found to be suspicious after listening to their argument in that thread.

Reactions: Kim
I think we all would agree that the clients on both sides have lost...the difference is that one party has suffered losses involuntarily while for the other, it was an informed and voluntary decision.

Apart from that, the whole community of forum users and administrators have definitely suffered because of this frivolous lawsuit.

Apart from that, the whole community of forum users and administrators have definitely suffered because of this frivolous lawsuit.

Indeed. My whole belief in humanity has been destroyed by IB. I am afraid to go out into public, I avoid meeting people, and in the evenings, I am forced to cry myself to sleep.

Any laywers wanna make a quick few bucks from a multi-million dollar bunch of crooks poor excuse for a company?

Indeed. My whole belief in humanity has been destroyed by IB. I am afraid to go out into public, I avoid meeting people, and in the evenings, I am forced to cry myself to sleep.

Any laywers wanna make a quick few bucks from a multi-million dollar bunch of crooks poor excuse for a company?
LOL! :D

I meant in terms of healthy competition among developers of forum software, that would have probably resulted in all competitors producing quality software with modern features. Imagine what XenForo would probably have become by now if there was no lawsuit...and how all competitors would be struggling hard to produce the best software in the market.

But you already knew that. ;)

Thanks Kier I don't entirely agree from my experience of court cases in the UK but hey you run a healthy community here that allows disagreement.
[EDIT] Win/win for you. If you're right you're prepared. If I am you're home free.

I'm totally backing you - XF is a constant delight to use and you're a cute guy so is Mike. I hope you get hefty costs when IB goes down.

I think we all would agree that the clients on both sides have lost...the difference is that one party has suffered losses involuntarily while for the other, it was an informed and voluntary decision.

No IB won their action is putting a company out of business if it continues longer and that's what their doing dragging on like this. IB can drag even the next case if Xenforo wins for compensation of fees of lawyers and so on. It was never their goal to win the case how i see it if you look at the files you see that IB has a nice trick to make more claims or new facts months before going to trail or miss file or wait till the last possible deadline there is.

No IB won their action is putting a company out of business if it continues longer and that's what their doing dragging on like this. IB can drag even the next case if Xenforo wins for compensation of fees of lawyers and so on. It was never their goal to win the case how i see it if you look at the files you see that IB has a nice trick to make more claims or new facts months before going to trail or miss file or wait till the last possible deadline there is.
There is a plus side to all this.

If XenForo win's, they will no doubt be able to make a LOT of money off of IB.

Yeah, but this money is pocket change to IB, and the massive stagnation and discord they caused xen and its community is enough that they may simply consider the loss a worthwhile, and minor, investment. For powerful companies, the courts are a means of investment for bullying and strangling your enemies under protection of the law.

provided the claims are legally sound.
I believe this will be IB's undoing at the early stages if they pursue the UK case if losing in the US. They may as well pack their bags and not lose any more of their money... as that is what it would be IMHO. They may as well go burn it if losing in the US, by trying to pursue in the UK. They would atleast get some entertainment by setting their cash on fire than spending it on lawyers fee's.

Man, I had never looked at that ... 'til now.

I really wish I could go back in time and never click that link. The horror!
You should have seen it when they first added it - it was LOT worse. They actually faked an ajax page loading 'to make it look nice'. So it loaded the page, then hid it, then faded it back in a few seconds later...

They also screwed up the login system so you would login, be told you dont have permission to login, then be kicked out.

Surprisingly it actually looks a lot better now!

Yeah, but this money is pocket change to IB, and the massive stagnation and discord they caused xen and its community is enough that they may simply consider the loss a worthwhile, and minor, investment. For powerful companies, the courts are a means of investment for bullying and strangling your enemies under protection of the law.

The timing could actually work out perfect for XF tho, especially if the hearing in Nov works out in XF's favor (which it looks like it will given how much IB have seemingly been slowing down the case.

vB5 comes out, people dont like it - and conveniently, XF development has just restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom