Browser issue [Browser Bug/Worked Around] editor: not possible to delete text

Mike,
I do have this issue all the time. Using Firefox/3.6.13

When I close the Editor-window. Then click onto "Edit" again, then it works fine.
So each time I need to open the Editor twice in order to edit my text....

I am also using FF 3.6.13 and experience this issue on a daily basis. As my forums are still in development I have a few threads which I have been constantly updating. The only thing I can add is, the normal behavior of the editor window is to show a flashing cursor line when you first mouse click into it. When this bug occurs, the flashing cursor does not appear in the editor window. Closing the window and trying to edit the post resolves the issue 100% of the time.

Is there a desktop recording software (free) you would recommend? I can try to record some post edits to see if I can capture the bug.

additional info...

I just encountered this bug. I noticed that the sole issue is the lack of a cursor. In all other regards the system in working normally. I can still select text, and the BB code such as Bold, Underline, etc all appropriately are chosen for the selected text. Also, I was able to choose More Options at the bottom and then the cursor appeared correctly and I was able to edit the post.

and a bit more additional info...

I have a thread that I edit on a daily basis. This bug happens to me several times a day, every day. I am not sure if there is something particular to the thread, or if it is because I edit so much. I can offer you access to the thread if it helps. Otherwise it is a very minor inconvenience that I get past in 5 seconds.

and a bit more additional info...

I have a thread that I edit on a daily basis. This bug happens to me several times a day, every day. I am not sure if there is something particular to the thread, or if it is because I edit so much. I can offer you access to the thread if it helps. Otherwise it is a very minor inconvenience that I get past in 5 seconds.

this has nothing to do with your thread or how many times you edit it..
I have the same issue as well, here on this website xenforo.com.

when I am marking the text so that it is blue, then hitting the "delete key" or the "backspace key" then the marked text does not get deleted.

I encounter this bug multiple times per day, every day. Other users seem to experience it much less frequently. It seems there is some anomaly involved where I encounter this issue quite commonly on a particular thread I edit daily. I have not experienced the issue on XF main site even though I post often.

As far as the marked text not getting deleted, when you first click in to mark the text, if you see a flashing cursor, it will be fine. If you do not see the flashing cursor, then you are experiencing the bug and the issue will behave as you described.

this pop-up editor is really buggy (at least with me using FireFox browser).

I tried to set a link from a specific word to a website, but the editor just did not allow to save the link.
Then I managed to save the link, logged out of the website but the text was not linked to the website.

Had to try this a couple times in order to manage linking a text to a website.

Also when "un-linking" a certain linked-text, then the text remins marked in blue color and it is quite hard to remove the text being marked.

Please improve this editor, I already got one user complaining about this.

I experienced the same issue erich. What finally helped me was the "remove formatting" button in the top left corner of the BB Code editor. Also I found (somewhere...cant recall where atm) an option to view bb code in thread and it was easier to edit that way for me.

is there a way to remove the "pop-up Editor" from my website ? I should probably ask this question in the support-forum.

I am fine with having just the normal Editor which appears when clicking onto "More Options".

Additionally, I figured users having a hard time finding the button "More Options" which let them edit their text with all the options available.
The pop-up-Editor is just bringing in additional confusion for the user.

I am experiencing the "cannot edit" issue multiple times/day, every day. I would estimate 1 in 4 times I attempt to edit a thread, I experience the issue. I can easily reproduce the issue anytime.

I made a video recording of the issue. The recording shows a red starburst whenever the left mouse click event occurs. Notice in the first example after left clicking a flashing cursor does not appear. In the second example, after closing and re-opening the edit window, the cursor does appear. Closing/re-opening the window resolves the issue 100% of the time.

terapvp.com/XFeditbug.avi

same issue here. now I know why my users telling me that my website is not working and it took them 3 hours to post their text.............

The editor has serious issues...........

yes when you edit your message.
there are times that it just hangs and you can see the cursor
you cant move the cursor.

so to fix it, cancel the editor and click edit again.

As I've written in other threads, there are some issues with IE9 compatibility mode on or off. Some strange behaviors that need to get checked.

Regarding this topic:
If IE9 compatibility mode is ON, you can edit a post once. If you try to edit again, you can't.
If you swith compatibility mode OFF, Xenforo eats line feeds.

Cheers,
Martin

hopefully XF will get another editor of issues fixed, as this editor is behaving buggy and does not provide a professional experience for users.

Is this still happening to people? Here on xf.com? How about with FF4? (It was only an FF issue.)

I have introduced an option to disable the inline edit system in the future, if the issue is bad for you as I still can't reproduce it. (And if I could, I'm not sure how far I'd get with debugging - it's quite possibly an internal FF issue.)

Top Bottom