XF 1.4 Bounced E-Mail Handling

nrep

I've started to use the bounced e-mail handling system, but I didn't realise that users in this state were prevented from posting. I thought it simply provided a notice and stopped sending e-mails to that address.

Is there a way to control what happens to users in this group? For example, can we allow them to post but make a notice that they can't dismiss appear?

No, there is no option for that.

Once the account state is set to Email Invalid (Bounced), they will need to update their email address to change the state back to valid to be able to post.

When a user has a user state other than valid, they aren't considered valid/confirmed members. They will automatically receive the permissions from the unregistered/unconfirmed group.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to see if I can code a way around this, as I think this is going to confuse some members on the non-tech sites. We don't use e-mail confirmations when people sign up, as it doesn't stop spam and our posting rates improved after disabling it - but it's nice to inform users of bounced e-mail addresses where possible.

I was going to open a thread, but since this one is recent I'm going to use it to ask a question on the same topic: When, a user who has an invalid mail, will be asked to modify it?
I've created a special email to use with the bounced e-mail handling system. I gave a fake e-email to a fake user. I sent him several messages. I've exected the cron task for bounced emails. The mails can be seen in the bounced email logs ; but when I log to my fake user account, i have no notice or any message. Are the following settings of XenForo options are also meant for the modification of the user status and to send him a warning ?
Code:
bounce_total: 3
unique_days 3
days_between 5

Last edited:
One of the problems I ran into was the email of the member is correct, the bouce problem was temporary, so they are confused what to do. So I edited the following phrase which solves this problem.

pic001.webp

I was going to open a thread, but since this one is recent I'm going to use it to ask a question on the same topic: When, a user who has an invalid mail, will be asked to modify it?
I've created a special email to use with the bounced e-mail handling system. I gave a fake e-email to a fake user. I sent him several messages. I've exected the cron task for bounced emails. The mails can be seen in the bounced email logs ; but when I log to my fake user account, i have no notice or any message. Are the following settings of XenForo options are also meant for the modification of the user status and to send him a warning ?
Code:
bounce_total: 3
unique_days 3
days_between 5
What sort of errors are you seeing in the bounce logs? What did it detect as? What is the user state listed as in the control panel?

If the user state isn't saying that the email is invalid, there's nothing to do; this will happen with errors that we only detect as soft errors. You need enough errors based on those settings to convert it to a hard error and take an action.

If the user state is saying it's invalid, then it sounds like an issue where notices aren't being displayed as that's how it's shown. (It's not dismissable.)

What sort of errors are you seeing in the bounce logs? What did it detect as? What is the user state listed as in the control panel?

If the user state isn't saying that the email is invalid, there's nothing to do; this will happen with errors that we only detect as soft errors. You need enough errors based on those settings to convert it to a hard error and take an action.

If the user state is saying it's invalid, then it sounds like an issue where notices aren't being displayed as that's how it's shown. (It's not dismissable.)
The bounce logs is correct, it just displays the mails I've sent to an incorrect email address didn't reach the receiver. The user state is valid. So I guess I've been impatient and need to make tests on several days, not just a few hours.
Thanks for your reply (y)

Top Bottom