Better Blogs [Deleted]

Also, could the inbox be added in the full view? And how do you modify the create a blog message?
What do you mean by inbox in full view?

Got this error when importing attachments. I don't know if there actually is any attachments in our blogs though so maybe that's why?

Yes, that is why. Just don't click that button :) Or upload one attachment to one random entry
The error is because the progress is "processed / total" and well, total was 0, so it does a division by 0. I need to add a special condition there.

What do you mean by inbox in full view?

In the full view of the blogs, you added an alert box but an inbox isn't there, maybe could an inbox be added there next to alerts? Or maybe an alert saying you've received an inbox?

Also, the message where it asks if you'd like to create a blog for the first time, is there a way to edit that at the moment?

I think there is an error on the users blog homepage, as hover menu's won't activate on that page. They activate on the blog home and entry pages, but not the username blog home.

Why is it very important for you? Could you elaborate on how you use it?

No, there is a separate total for blog entrie
Because then only paid subscribers can have the privilege of do-follow backlinks to help out with their SEO. Also it is important that it goes towards their user post count imo as well.

I read through most of the pages but not all of them, so I apologize if I repeat something here.

I downloaded and installed the new bog version just fine, that went very smoothly. However there are still some issues of concern.

1. First and foremost, while in full screen mode, the Breadcrumb Menu still doesn't have a path back to the forum.
It has Home, and you added "Blogs" in this new update.
Home sends my users back to the main site URL and Blogs sends them right back to where they already are. There is absolutely no way for a user to go back to the forum from the blog without either A) altering the browser URL, or B) clicking through the home page.
My website (EQ3 Addict) does not utilize xenForo as the home page. I need the breadcrumb menu to include a direct link back to the forum otherwise I need my Nav Menu back in full screen mode. Personally, I think the entire nav menu should just be moved to the top of the page instead.
When I tried this in your demo site it went back to the forum but it was misleading because your forum is your home page.

2. If you set the blog homepage as the community latest blogs, and you do not yet have a blog, there is no easy direct link to manage your own blog.
The "My Blog" bubble image thing does not show up until you actually have one. So as it stands now, with the default set to community blogs, you have to go back to the forum, back to the nav menu, hover your mouse over the arrow thing, wait for it to drop down, and click directly on "My Blog". Then you have to make a blog just for the My Blog Icon bubble to pop up.

3. The URL still says xfa-blogs.
This is a matter of renaming the styles folders you include in your package. Something that I and everyone else would sincerely appreciate.

4. The Recent Blogs doesn't work.
In the sidebar that it adds via the options and in the actual community blogs main link, I don't see anything show up at all there.

Suggestion:
I would like to make the suggestion again to move the B icon out of the Avatar box and into the username box instead. See image below.

25rpdw1.png

In the full view of the blogs, you added an alert box but an inbox isn't there, maybe could an inbox be added there next to alerts? Or maybe an alert saying you've received an inbox?
I see. I don't think I will be adding the inbox, I was trying to keep that view as small as possible, the alerts is there because it ties with the engagement with the site.

Also, the message where it asks if you'd like to create a blog for the first time, is there a way to edit that at the moment?

Yes, got to your Admin Control Panel -> Appearance -> Phrases, and edit
xfa_blogs_empty_1
xfa_blogs_empty_2
xfa_blogs_empty_3

is the message that the users' see with the person does not have a blog

xfa_blogs_introduction_1
xfa_blogs_introduction_7

is the message that the user himself/herself see when he/she does not have a blog

Will new blog entries show up on the recent activity/what's new?

New entries and comments show up on the activity stream

I think there is an error on the users blog homepage, as hover menu's won't activate on that page. They activate on the blog home and entry pages, but not the username blog home.

I am having some trouble reproducing this

When you say hover menu's you mean, the alerts? or the menu when you click on a user avatar and shows the membercard?
This will the full screen view or the regular view?

Because then only paid subscribers can have the privilege of do-follow backlinks to help out with their SEO. Also it is important that it goes towards their user post count imo as well.

I could add that as a usergroup option, will not be high on my priority list, though

1. First and foremost, while in full screen mode, the Breadcrumb Menu still doesn't have a path back to the forum.
It has Home, and you added "Blogs" in this new update.
Home sends my users back to the main site URL and Blogs sends them right back to where they already are. There is absolutely no way for a user to go back to the forum from the blog without either A) altering the browser URL, or B) clicking through the home page.
My website (EQ3 Addict) does not utilize xenForo as the home page. I need the breadcrumb menu to include a direct link back to the forum otherwise I need my Nav Menu back in full screen mode. Personally, I think the entire nav menu should just be moved to the top of the page instead.
When I tried this in your demo site it went back to the forum but it was misleading because your forum is your home page.

I already took note of that, but I haven't fixed it yet. After it's done it will be something like
Home > Forum > Blogs > Rest of the navigation

2. If you set the blog homepage as the community latest blogs, and you do not yet have a blog, there is no easy direct link to manage your own blog.
The "My Blog" bubble image thing does not show up until you actually have one. So as it stands now, with the default set to community blogs, you have to go back to the forum, back to the nav menu, hover your mouse over the arrow thing, wait for it to drop down, and click directly on "My Blog". Then you have to make a blog just for the My Blog Icon bubble to pop up.
I agree that the navigation needs some work. My original design only had "My blog" as the navigation entry. If linking to the home page this create a whole new set of issues (for example, there is no way of creating your blog from the home page). Next iteration I'll fix it.

3. The URL still says xfa-blogs.
This is a matter of renaming the styles folders you include in your package. Something that I and everyone else would sincerely appreciate.

In the posts above somebody managed to use the route changer to change the route for the blog pages. You can use that other addon to change the urls to whatever you want

4. The Recent Blogs doesn't work.
In the sidebar that it adds via the options and in the actual community blogs main link, I don't see anything show up at all there.

If you haven't, install the latest 1.0.5 version, I added a button to reset the caches, as the home page is cached and only refreshes daily. That is configurable through options in the AdminCP so it refreshes more often, though

Suggestion:
I would like to make the suggestion again to move the B icon out of the Avatar box and into the username box instead. See image below.

I don't think I would be taking the suggestion since I like where they are at, however, I added a switch "show blog icon in post" on the options, so you can disable it. You can then add it wherever you want through the templates, look at the template xfa_blog_message_user_info_indicator for the markup, and then you would need to find the position in the template and manually add it[/quote]

I already took note of that, but I haven't fixed it yet. After it's done it will be something like
Home > Forum > Blogs > Rest of the navigation
Sounds good.

I agree that the navigation needs some work. My original design only had "My blog" as the navigation entry. If linking to the home page this create a whole new set of issues (for example, there is no way of creating your blog from the home page). Next iteration I'll fix it.
Alrighty.

In the posts above somebody managed to use the route changer to change the route for the blog pages. You can use that other addon to change the urls to whatever you want
I'd hate to install a different add-on just to fix something about this one. But I guess I'll try it.

If you haven't, install the latest 1.0.5 version, I added a button to reset the caches, as the home page is cached and only refreshes daily. That is configurable through options in the AdminCP so it refreshes more often, though
I did install the new update, but didn't notice a button to reset the caches. Where is this? I did however change the refresh rate to 120 minutes on new blogs.

I don't think I would be taking the suggestion since I like where they are at, however, I added a switch "show blog icon in post" on the options, so you can disable it. You can then add it wherever you want through the templates, look at the template xfa_blog_message_user_info_indicator for the markup, and then you would need to find the position in the template and manually add it
I'm not a coder and don't know how to do things like this. But I guess I'll figure it out.

New Issue
I disabled the full screen view so that the header and navigation reappear. However, the header and navigation menu actually appear below the blog instead of above. This may be due to custom themes. See attached.

Attachments

• Untitled.webp
    Untitled.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 10
When you say hover menu's you mean, the alerts? or the menu when you click on a user avatar and shows the membercard?
This will the full screen view or the regular view?
Regular view.

When going to the user blog, so the blog/username.1/ url, the visitor tab menus don't drop down.

Ok, gone to a completely default style for testing, and found the fault.

You've missed out a popup class / span or something in your template, because the drop down arrows and such aren't on all pages of the blog in normal view, hence the menu's don't activate.

Look at the difference in the user tabs... see the arrow beside? Some pages you have it, some you don't... in blogs only.

Added: This actually affects the entire navigation, whatever the specific element that has been left out. None of the navigations dropdowns will work on certain blog pages.

Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 7.50.15 AM.webp

Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 7.49.55 AM.webp

Top Bottom