Better Blogs [Deleted]

I am really sorry about the trouble you went through.
Though I am saying that the support for multisite is a premium option, there is no excuse for leaving your site hosed even if miss configured.

On the next update (which I am planning to do tonight PST), I am adding a master switch in the config.php, which could also be used to disable the multisite functionality in these extreme scenarios.
Yeah. I didn't care about the multisite feature after my site went down. I just wanted to fix the blog so that it went back to normal. Doing so was a nightmare. Thanks for the help though. I was able to completely uninstall it and reinstall it and the blogs are back to normal. I want to make this blog a VIP feature for my paid members but I'm going to take a internet break before I make it available or even touch the blog or even think of importing it from lnblog. That wore me out...

Yeah. I didn't care about the multisite feature after my site went down. I just wanted to fix the blog so that it went back to normal. Doing so was a nightmare. Thanks for the help though. I was able to completely uninstall it and reinstall it and the blogs are back to normal. I want to make this blog a VIP feature for my paid members but I'm going to take a internet break before I make it available or even touch the blog or even think of importing it from lnblog. That wore me out...
this blog easy to install? :)

Yer... maybe simply integrating it into XF search is the better solution. Some search is better than none IMHO. Is it possible to simply put an option in the existing search to limit results to the blog handler?

Yes but it's a recipe for disaster. Rigel I'm surprised you included it at all if you only want members to pay for it. Most people here wouldn't know what to do with it.
****! That's one of the features that I was most looking forward to! LOL

Why is it bad? You just have to be careful..?

What's wrong with multi-site? Is this the sub-domain option?
Yeah .. we had a problem before because, it can be easy to loop the system. Basically, it had a bug in which if you input your site url but not the blog url it rendered the site inaccessible. I have since fixed that, but it was not a good experience for 8thos. I overestimated the system and didn't really put enough validation in place

It works, and I am personally using it, it is just tricky to configure since it requires DNS entries, and apache configuration.

Yeah .. we had a problem before because, it can be easy to loop the system. Basically, it had a bug in which if you input your site url but not the blog url it rendered the site inaccessible. I have since fixed that, but it was not a good experience for 8thos. I overestimated the system and didn't really put enough validation in place

It works, and I am personally using it, it is just tricky to configure since it requires DNS entries, and apache configuration.
Link to one of your blogs?

I am very interested in this but it sounds like something I'm going to have to have my webmaster install..

Highlighted for emphasis.

Yes but it's a recipe for disaster. Rigel I'm surprised you included it at all if you only want members to pay for it. Most people here wouldn't know what to do with it.
If you care to give it a try sometime in the future, in a nutshell, this is what you do ...

1. Make sure you are using the new version, since that has a master switch in the config.php :)
2. In your site url, put 8thos.com
3. In the blogs url, put 8thos.com
4. In the cookies domain, put .8thos.com
5. You need to create an A entry on your DNS for *
Code:
*.8thos.com.    IN    A    173.248.188.141
6. You need to modify your apache config to make the default DocumentRoot your XenForo installation
7. Enable the setting in the config.php (the name of the setting is on the Blog Multisite options)

Done :)

If you care to give it a try sometime in the future, in a nutshell, this is what you do ...

1. Make sure you are using the new version, since that has a master switch in the config.php :)
2. In your site url, put 8thos.com
3. In the blogs url, put 8thos.com
4. In the cookies domain, put .8thos.com
5. You need to create an A entry on your DNS for *
Code:
*.8thos.com.    IN    A    173.248.188.141
6. You need to modify your apache config to make the default DocumentRoot your XenForo installation
7. Enable the setting in the config.php (the name of the setting is on the Blog Multisite options)

Done :)
Thank you! I will try this tomorrow. Must give brain rest... but speaking of the new version, where do I import LN Blogs? I did not see that in AdminCP/Options.

Yeah, I would just implement the search handler on the Entry and Comment content type
That is the "easy" part, and would give search on the "all content types" section

Adding a new tab for only searching in blogs, searching for author only, only in entries, only in comments, adding a search box in the blogs, making sure that when you search from there you only search in blogs ... that is the long part
That's a very key addition for me. I'll likely buy it without that in hopes it'll be added shortly.

Got this error when importing attachments. I don't know if there actually is any attachments in our blogs though so maybe that's why?

Server Error

Division by zero
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in XenForo/Importer/Abstract.php at line 143
  2. XenForo_Importer_Abstract->_getProgressOutput() in XfAddOns/Blogs/Importer/LNBlogs.php at line 424
  3. XfAddOns_Blogs_Importer_LNBlogs->_getProgressOutput() in XfAddOns/Blogs/Importer/LNBlogs.php at line 374
  4. XfAddOns_Blogs_Importer_LNBlogs->stepAttachments() in XenForo/Importer/Abstract.php at line 77
  5. XenForo_Importer_Abstract->runStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 180
  6. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->_runStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 232
  7. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->_startStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 175
  8. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->actionStartStep() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
  9. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  10. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/user/public_html/admin.php at line 13

Got this error when importing attachments. I don't know if there actually is any attachments in our blogs though so maybe that's why?

Server Error

Division by zero
  1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError() in XenForo/Importer/Abstract.php at line 143
  2. XenForo_Importer_Abstract->_getProgressOutput() in XfAddOns/Blogs/Importer/LNBlogs.php at line 424
  3. XfAddOns_Blogs_Importer_LNBlogs->_getProgressOutput() in XfAddOns/Blogs/Importer/LNBlogs.php at line 374
  4. XfAddOns_Blogs_Importer_LNBlogs->stepAttachments() in XenForo/Importer/Abstract.php at line 77
  5. XenForo_Importer_Abstract->runStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 180
  6. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->_runStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 232
  7. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->_startStep() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Import.php at line 175
  8. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Import->actionStartStep() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
  9. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  10. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/user/public_html/admin.php at line 13

It's worth just added an attachment to LN Blog, that could work?

I ported my blogs over successfully. I was just wondering what that error was about everytime I clicked on the attachments button during the import setup.

Top Bottom