Better Analytics

Better Analytics 3.1.1

No permission to download
Errr... blah... I uploaded the wrong version of the DigitalPointBetterAnalytics/ControllerAdmin/Analytics.php file...

In that file, if you change this:
PHP:
if (empty($response->expires_at))
to this:
PHP:
if (empty($response->expires_in))

That's what it was supposed to be... gonna build a new download archive (that's going to be the only change).

perfect, thanks

@digitalpoint love this add-on! Awsome work! However couple of questions I hope you can answer on:

1) Will this plugin ever be able to reduce amount of ghost hits on sites? (Seems like other sites are using my ga code, or at least it seems so with my ga logging other sites and websites I dont have)
2) Is it possible to combat spam referrals with such a plugin? Excuse me if that was an extremely noob question.

Thanks!

Hi Shawn,

Is there a way to pass over custom user field variables to analytics? Xenforo records gender, age (age range preferable... ie 18-24) and I have one or two custom fields I'd like to pass over also. I'd also like to pass along these custom values to DFP for custom targetting. Is it possible a future version could allow for this, or if not, could you point me in the right direction of implementing this?

Thanks for your help,

Rob

@digitalpoint, I'm confused, Is it expected I see only 3 tickable events in the options, even though I'm a premium member on your forum? Or do I need to buy the extra stuff at $40?

@digitalpoint love this add-on! Awsome work! However couple of questions I hope you can answer on:

1) Will this plugin ever be able to reduce amount of ghost hits on sites? (Seems like other sites are using my ga code, or at least it seems so with my ga logging other sites and websites I dont have)
2) Is it possible to combat spam referrals with such a plugin? Excuse me if that was an extremely noob question.

Thanks!
1) No... It has no way to control who uses your Analytics code on your site. Internally via the API, you *can* filter by hostname... Which is exactly what we are doing for the charts in outer site/domain marketplace so traffic can't be spoofed. Example: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/mywallpapersite-com.259160/domain

What you are probably looking for is a whitelist on your Google Analytics account, but unfortunately they don't offer that right now.

Hi Shawn,

Is there a way to pass over custom user field variables to analytics? Xenforo records gender, age (age range preferable... ie 18-24) and I have one or two custom fields I'd like to pass over also. I'd also like to pass along these custom values to DFP for custom targetting. Is it possible a future version could allow for this, or if not, could you point me in the right direction of implementing this?

Thanks for your help,

Rob
Not currently, no... Although GA will already tell you demographics (gender and age range) as well as interests.

What other stuff are you wanting to pass?

@digitalpoint, I'm confused, Is it expected I see only 3 tickable events in the options, even though I'm a premium member on your forum? Or do I need to buy the extra stuff at $40?
The intent was it wouldn't be bound to premium since that's recurring, but I'll see if there is a way to allow it to be done both ways.

Hi Shawn,

We have a custom user field where members can state where they are in their education journey.... eg:- Applying to University, University Student, College, Thinking about Applying, etc, etc....

It would be handy to feed this to GA and to DFP. DFP would be most handy as we can custom target ads to the user depending on where in the education pipeline they are at. Does that makes sense?

How are you wanting to feed it to DFP? Via in-page tagging?

The ability to pass XF custom user fields to GA custom fields probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to do... the most difficult part would having a UI that isn't a cluster**** that allows you to map an infinite number of XF user fields to an infinite number of GA custom fields.

How are you wanting to feed it to DFP? Via in-page tagging?

The ability to pass XF custom user fields to GA custom fields probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to do... the most difficult part would having a UI that isn't a cluster**** that allows you to map an infinite number of XF user fields to an infinite number of GA custom fields.
That sounds good..... do you use DFP yourself? I should imagine that you would. Is this something you might do yourself at some point? Just asking because I'm sure any implementation by you would be ass kickin.

That sounds good..... do you use DFP yourself? I should imagine that you would. Is this something you might do yourself at some point? Just asking because I'm sure any implementation by you would be ass kickin.
We have our own ad platform (Digital Point Ads platform) for selling ad space... let's our advertisers get super granular with their targeting if they want. For example a web hosting company might want to run banner ads just to users in US and Canada and *only* in certain forums (for example maybe just the Web Hosting area or they can pick multiple areas.

As an example, this is what the bidding/targeting area would look like for an advertiser who wanted to run their ads in the marketplace.digitalpoint.com subdomain and also 3 forums (Google and AdSense) and only to users in Europe. They can set bid pricing on a per area basis.

upload_2015-3-3_9-4-3.webp

For keyword based ads, they can set CPC bids like so:

upload_2015-3-3_9-4-29.webp

It's handy having your own ad platform because well... you can make it work exactly how you want. :)

@digitalpoint1) Will this plugin ever be able to reduce amount of ghost hits on sites? (Seems like other sites are using my ga code, or at least it seems so with my ga logging other sites and websites I dont have)
I just thought of what you should be doing...

Under your Analytics setup, go to Admin -> View -> Filters, you could do something like this if you wanted:

upload_2015-3-3_9-39-25.webp

Side note... looks like the Email source tagging stuff is working. :)

In our digital goods marketplace, authors can see the traffic source to their product page, which is gathered via Google Analytics API calls. So in the case of the Better Analytics page where people download it, you can see a few people got there via clicking a link in Email (the notification emails they subscribed to when a new version comes out). So the Email source just "magically" started showing now.

upload_2015-3-3_10-40-52.webp

And now that we can tie the "true source" to transactions going on, you that conversion rate of people coming in via Email is quite a bit higher than any other source (which I suppose makes sense since they are already engaged since they wanted to get emails from you.. heh)

upload_2015-3-3_10-46-32.webp

Last edited:
Well the options/list/stats URL isn't one from Better Analytics, it's the normal options page from XenForo. HTTP Error 500 is just a generic internal server error... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes#5xx_Server_Error

If nothing is showing up in the XF server log, you probably are going to need to check the real logs on your server to get more info about what's going on (PHP error log and web server error log would be a good place to start).

Well the options/list/stats URL isn't one from Better Analytics, it's the normal options page from XenForo. HTTP Error 500 is just a generic internal server error... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes#5xx_Server_Error

If nothing is showing up in the XF server log, you probably are going to need to check the real logs on your server to get more info about what's going on (PHP error log and web server error log would be a good place to start).

Server log:

Serverfeil-logg
Feilmelding
ErrorException: Fatal Error: syntax error, unexpected '[', expecting ')' - library/DigitalPointBetterAnalytics/Helper/Api.php:24
Generert av: admin, 10 min siden
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}
Forespurt status
array(3) {
["url"] => string(55) "http://sitename/admin.php?options/list/stats"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["options/list/stats"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

--

Serverfeil-logg
Feilmelding
ErrorException: Fatal Error: syntax error, unexpected '[' - library/DigitalPointBetterAnalytics/Model/Analytics.php:126
Generert av: admin, 11 min siden
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}
Forespurt status
array(3) {
["url"] => string(56) "http://sitename/admin.php?analytics/computers"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["analytics/computers"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Last edited:
Top Bottom