Beta 4 > Beta 5 Upgrade - Fatal Error

Veer

Hi,

While uploading upgrade package I'm getting Fatal error on the forums:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method XenForo_Session::startPublicSession() in /home/user/public_html/library/XenForo/Controller.php on line 286

Also getting on /admin.php

Fatal error: Call to undefined method XenForo_Session::startAdminSession() in /home/user/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php on line 32

Why it comes?

Did you have any add-ons installed in Beta 4?

Did you encounter any problems during the FTP process?

Are you able to access your ACP and check the error log?

Yes, there's nothing wrong but files being upload. There should not be that kind of errors, even I can't access ACP while we are uploading files, upload package is more than 16 mega byte and we are on shared host + slow internet connection, so it takes a lot of time. Error gone for now, thanks.

If you have shell access you can upload the zip to your server and unzip it directly over the existing files. Should take a matter of seconds.

I strongly believe that those who are serious about their site are no longer considering shared hosting and go with at least a start-up VPS account that's a few bucks more a month than shared hosting; giving them super user access to control, configure and manage their site, backups and operating systems+programs+tools.

While a lot will disagree with me, but in that aspect I believe that shared hosting is dead. And no, I am not saying it's already gone, just saying that those who care about their site shouldn't consider it.

I strongly believe that those who are serious about their site are no longer considering shared hosting and go with at least a start-up VPS account that's a few bucks more a month than shared hosting; giving them super user access to control, configure and manage their site, backups and operating systems+programs+tools.

While a lot will disagree with me, but in that aspect I believe that shared hosting is dead. And no, I am not saying it's already gone, just saying that those who care about their site shouldn't consider it.
I have to disagree.

If people have no clue about server managment,unix systems,etc they are really lost with a own server/vps/whatever.
They have to take care about security, spam managment, system updates, etc.......

There are managed solutions for this as well. But if you care about your site and you want to make backups and get shell access and learn a few things .. This is the way to go.

There are managed solutions for this as well. But if you care about your site and you want to make backups and get shell access and learn a few things .. This is the way to go.
Even managed has limitations, they won't do everything. And you have to have a clue about what is going on to know what help to ask for in a managed solution.

I do agree that people need to learn how to do it tho. That's one of the best things I got out of running my own server for my own sites for almost a year (about 4 years ago).

Even managed has limitations, they won't do everything.
Depends on the host. The last managed server I had they did do everything, you only had to ask them and they'd do it. Mind you, it wasn't cheap - in the end I had to move providers because of the cost, but I intend to go back to them next year as they are simply the best hosting company I've ever used. (Positive Internet in the UK).

Depends on the host. The last managed server I had they did do everything, you only had to ask them and they'd do it. Mind you, it wasn't cheap - in the end I had to move providers because of the cost, but I intend to go back to them next year as they are simply the best hosting company I've ever used. (Positive Internet in the UK).
Steve, the problem is, even if they will do it, you have to know enough to ask for it.

If you have shell access you can upload the zip to your server and unzip it directly over the existing files. Should take a matter of seconds.
yeah that would be useful but hosts don't allow shell access on shared hosting packages.
thanks anyway.
With cPanel and I'm sure other webhost admin programs, I upload the entire zip file to my root directory.
But first I select all files in my forum_dir and compress to make a backup.
Export my database file.
Unzip XF. Open the upload directory. Select all files. Move to /public_html/forum_dir. Run upgrade. Quick and simple.

Top Bottom