Best Registrar

turtile

I'm looking to use a registrar rather than my host (shared) for my next domain registration.  Does anyone know which one is best?

Thanks 

godaddy would be my recommendation. some people do not like them for how they bug you with too many product offers when you are trying to purchase a domain. but they do have some incredible deals on domains pretty much all the time! and their control panel is very powerful.

There are many that like namecheap.com

Personally I like name.com extremely well. You may want to do research. Some methods of communication work better than others for each registrar. I get quick, random, answers on the phone from godaddy. I get quick, accurate, answers from name.com.

Don't even waist your time shopping around. Go with godaddy for 5 simple reasons :

1. price
2. price
3. price
4. endless coupon codes
5. price

did I mention price enough ! :D BUT do not use them as a host ;)

Yer... GoDaddy suck for pretty much everything else, except domain names. I have used some cheap one before, but the problem depends on what you want to do with the domain/s. I have lots, so I need to manage them. Some really cheap hosts only sell them, with no other ability than to forward the domain somewhere, else pay more $$$ to use further management tools. GoDaddy is dirt cheap + has all the tools to fully manage your domains.

and i am totally on their network ever since they added support for .in domains. god i hate using indian companies for my 2 .in domains! made my life a bit less painful!

And for hosting I recommend Linode.com
I use to be with slicehost but I have discovered linode :D they offer twice the ram and bandwidth for the same price ;)

Very reliable very happy with linode.
PS. it is unmanaged service you must know your way around without webadmin or whatever it is you are use to ;)

Don't even waist your time shopping around. Go with godaddy for 5 simple reasons :

1. price
2. price
3. price
4. endless coupon codes
5. price

did I mention price enough ! :D BUT do not use them as a host ;)
NameCheap does the above. :D

Their only weakness is redirection - its wonky. Oh, and don't do hosting with them.

I only use Namecheap, or Gandi (http://www.gandi.net/).

Gandi will protect your domain and your identity, which helps if you're doing something that is more of a gray area for topics. They also have one of the -best- selections for domains. 

well faced with a legal notice, i would assume that any legally operating company would do what the law requires! :)

but then i have never been in that position. i played around with their private registeration on 2-3 domains for one year.

pretty much had no use for it. did not renew that... i can confirm that i really have no experience running a service where i would want to hide the real whois info. :p

well faced with a legal notice, i would assume that any legally operating company would do what the law requires! :)

but then i have never been in that position. i played around with their private registeration on 2-3 domains for one year.

pretty much had no use for it. did not renew that... i can confirm that i really have no experience running a service where i would want to hide the real whois info. :p
Not all legal notices are actually fully legal.

You'd be surprised at how many companies will abuse different legal outlets, just to put more expedient pressure on people.

RIAA/MPAA are excellent examples of this. 

Having heard and seen too many problems with GoDaddy, even with domains, I stay far, far away from them. Namecheap hasn't given me any problems so far since I used them. :)

i assume almost every domain company provide private registration service :) godaddy included.

They do. It costs extra, and it is handled through another corporate entity, but it's easy to setup.

I also register most of my domains through GoDaddy. Most of my domain names will then either be acting as forwarders to my main sites, or get their nameservers pointed to my VPS to be hosted there.

I tried hosting with GoDaddy in the past, and was not overly impressed with it. My hosting is done at globalgold.co.uk, who might be a wee bit more expensive, but their customer service is excellent. They really go out of their way to help me get stuff done whenever I run into trouble I cannot solve myself, and to the best of my knowledge, they never charged me extra for it.

I'm using Namecheap.

And I'm really happy that I have nothing to do with GoDaddy anymore. Stay away from them.

Top Bottom