Best Registrar

Thanks for all of the info!

It sounds like Namecheap may be the best since I want to use domain privacy.   How hard is it to transfer to Namecheap?  I want to move one of my domains over to the registrar I choose as well.

Thanks for all of the info!

It sounds like Namecheap may be the best since I want to use domain privacy.   How hard is it to transfer to Namecheap?  I want to move one of my domains over to the registrar I choose as well.
If you're with GoDaddy, I'm fairly sure they have a guide for transferring away, but once you do all the GoDaddy side, things should be fairly simple when switching to Namecheap.

http://namecheap.simplekb.com/kb.show?show=article&articleid=876&categoryid=83

Theres a guide there. 

Everyone does it! Especially namecheap and enom

Not sure how they operate these days, I haven't done business with them in a while, but couple of years ago that's how they roll, and if they stopped robbing people give credit to godaddy because they are the walmart of registrars and THEY are the market movers and shakers. Numbers numbers ....

OK, I admit I didn't actually transfer a domain out of Namecheap yet as I'm actually a happy customer there.

But I would be very surprised if that's true. The Disable Registrar Lock and Get EPP Code functions are easily accessible. What else do you need?

And I most definitely transferred several domains out of eNom. It didn't cost me a dime.

By the way, we are talking about active domains aren't we? They do charge you for expired domains in the redemption period. But so does GoDaddy. It's as well business as usual.

godaddy would be my recommendation. some people do not like them for how they bug you with too many product offers when you are trying to purchase a domain. but they do have some incredible deals on domains pretty much all the time! and their control panel is very powerful.

Yes that's one thing I can't stand about them. Make it simple and let me buy my domain and call it a day.

I've been using DomainSite for years now, never had a problem with them. :)

GoDaddy works well if you're just going to get a domain and point it somewhere. Just be prepared to deal with their constant advertisements.

[geeeeeez]

By the way, we are talking about active domains aren't we? They do charge you for expired domains in the redemption period. But so does GoDaddy. It's as well business as usual.

i am not really sure about that. i have renewed some domains after the date has passed by. i do not think i paid a premium for that. from what i remember, i was actually able to use one of their discount coupons to renew it! .com domains usually cost me around 8 dollars after using the coupons.

i am not really sure about that. i have renewed some domains after the date has passed by. i do not think i paid a premium for that. from what i remember, i was actually able to use one of their discount coupons to renew it! .com domains usually cost me around 8 dollars after using the coupons.
Theres a month or so leeway period in which you can still renew the domain after expiration.

argh. you are talking about registering after that period? :D

i think godaddy books them themselves and offer them for a higher price. yes.

i was talking more like 3-4 days after the expiry date.

argh. you are talking about registering after that period? :D

i think godaddy books them themselves and offer them for a higher price. yes.

i was talking more like 3-4 days after the expiry date.

I believe some years ago even at GoDaddy you had 30 days or something to re-activate a domain by renewing after the expiration date, for the regular renewal fee. I think that's pretty much how ICANN imagined this whole redemption period to work.

Quite some time ago GoDaddy changed their TOS and started charging you an extra fee for it. I think it's still the regular renewal fee for 12 days. But they charge you a $80 redemption fee for the remaining days of the 30 day period. Something like that.

At least that's the way it works for .com. Not sure about other TLDs ...

i cannot recollect the term for this thing... it made major news a while ago.

most domain registrars include godaddy used to do this. not sure if it is still on.

you went to a domain search service... you searched for a domain.

you wanted for a day or two. and then you decided to purchase it.

you would find out that the same domain has been booked by one of the domain registration companies and they have them on sale for a premium.

in fact. godaddy had a blog post about it a while ago where they criticized ICANN for allowing it to happen. i guess it was posted after they had stopped doing it themselves.

apparently, ICANN allowed domain registration companies to book a domain for a temporary period like for 5-10 days for literally free or for very low charges. probably to allow them to lock domains their customers might be interested in.

and this was being misused.

and if i remember correctly, the searched for data was at one time available to all the authorized registration companies! so they could at any time checked for popular domains being searched for by potential customers.

i cannot recollect the term for this thing... it made major news a while ago.

most domain registrars include godaddy used to do this. not sure if it is still on.

you went to a domain search service... you searched for a domain.

you wanted for a day or two. and then you decided to purchase it.

you would find out that the same domain has been booked by one of the domain registration companies and they have them on sale for a premium.

in fact. godaddy had a blog post about it a while ago where they criticized ICANN for allowing it to happen. i guess it was posted after they had stopped doing it themselves.

apparently, ICANN allowed domain registration companies to book a domain for a temporary period like for 5-10 days for literally free or for very low charges. probably to allow them to lock domains their customers might be interested in.

and this was being misused.

and if i remember correctly, the searched for data was at one time available to all the authorized registration companies! so they could at any time checked for popular domains being searched for by potential customers.

I see this happening all the time, there have been times I've tried to get certain domains that were just parked and the companies were trying to get $1000 U.S.D. from me. I was like are you on crack? I could just go buy another domain for $10 or less. Now, even years later the same domains in some cases are still just parked there. It's a shame but the more people allow them to do this by purchasing them, the more people are going to do it and domains will just continue to get harder to purchase.

Top Bottom