Best Ads Placements For Forums

TheBigK

Forums have been notorious for lower click through rates and we can't really go aggressive in our ad-placements. While I'm aware that CTRs are mostly influenced by topics of the forum; and what works for you may not work for me.

In past, I've had excellent results with 300x250 banners just below the title ( very aggressive ) but then gave up the spots after I read that if the ad-spots push your content below the fold; it's a no go.

Please share your experiences, A/B testing results so that we can offer value to our users and also maximum returns to our advertisers.

So far, 300x250 ads have been working the best. I recently started trying 200x200 ads in the sidebar and those pay absolutely sh*t.

I'm trying to figure out what will be a good combination of ads. I'm thinking about changing my design up a bit to include a taller banner (I made a small banner so the 300x250 ads wouldn't push the content down too far)...by making it taller, I'm thinking about putting a leaderboard ad on the right side of the banner. Then after that, Idk, I've been reading about Z patters which the eyes apparently take when they first come to a site, so at least the leaderboard ad would show up on the right end of the top part of the Z.

Also, I'm thinking about widening the sidebar by a few pixels and go with BuySellAds and using their 125x125 ads in the sidebar (gotta make room for a 1px border and 1px inbetween the ads). That would help complete the last part of the Z then.

But I haven't done any of this yet so I have no numbers for you...just giving you my thoughts.

My best ever is 336*280 just under title, but it is bad for some reasons what you described.

A banner 728*90 or 468*60 ou 336*280 as a second post may be a solution.

What I liked with VB was a banner as last post, but can't make it with xenforo, because there is no condition "last post"

What I liked with VB was a banner as last post, but can't make it with xenforo, because there is no condition "last post"

There is, it's listed here somewhere to display banner after last post on every thread page. I think Bruce posted it and I used it before, works fine.

This code below taken from what I posted here: AdSense Revenue Sharing.

This would show advert on all other pages in a thread (in the first post), along with excluding members from seeing ads and letting you choose which forums can be excluded. Not the last post I know, but shouldn't be hard to change to that instead.

Put in: ad_message_body template

Code:
<xen:if is="{$post.position} % {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} == 0 AND !in_array({$forum.node_id}, array(99,126,129)) AND !{$visitor.user_id}">
BANNER CODE HERE
</xen:if>

If you look in ACP settings, the default is to show 20 messages per page "which can be changed". So you have your numbers there to go off and I change that to (10 posts) instead, you'll get more ads displayed. Also, I think your using the wrong template, not sure it's been a while now. Try using the ad_message_body template and see what happens taken from other thread.

I'll test this out myself later, because like I say it's been a good while and would need to double check things really first hand.

Yes, if I use ad_message_body, you can say, ok display Adsense to the post#20 or post#10, right.
But, what if the page is not complete, with, for example, post#7 is the last post.

Yes, if I use ad_message_body, you can say, ok display Adsense to the post#20 or post#10, right.
But, what if the page is not complete, with, for example, post#7 is the last post.

I see your point on that, it wouldn't get displayed would it. I was testing then using "9", as I have it setup to show only 10 messages per page (not 20) and the ad gets displayed in last post after 9th (10th). But, if you had 7 like you say listed? hmm!

I have had some warnings for Adsense by the past, if ads under title, you have to add "Ads by google" juste above Adsense.

I have had some warnings for Adsense by the past, if ads under title, you have to add "Ads by google" juste above Adsense.
Well, if I add a label; can I add 300x250 rectangles below the title? Did Google adsense support executive approve your ad placements?

This link might help you out: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-add-an-ads-block-after-first-post-on-every-page.9629/

Just tested that and it shows ad in first and last post (no matter how many listed). It also displays them on every page. The conditional also hides ads from members and allows you to exclude forum ID's, such as private staff forums etc.

Code:
<xen:if is="({$post.position} % {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} == 0 OR {$post.position} % {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} == {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} - 1) AND !in_array({$forum.node_id}, array(99,126,129) AND !{$visitor.user_id}">
    AD CODE HERE

I see your point on that, it wouldn't get displayed would it. I was testing then using "9", as I have it setup to show only 10 messages per page (not 20) and the ad gets displayed in last post after 9th (10th). But, if you had 7 like you say listed? hmm!

Sure, but if your page have 6 posts (whatever you set up 10 or 20 or 30 messages per page). Post#6 become your last post. And Adsense not displayed in the last post.

Well, if I add a label; can I add 300x250 rectangles below the title? Did Google adsense support executive approve your ad placements?
yes no problem.
My adsense account manager said me it's ok, and many websites do that.
but about seo, I don't know if it's a good idea in the future to put big square above the fold

This link might help you out: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-add-an-ads-block-after-first-post-on-every-page.9629/

Just tested that and it shows ad in first and last post (no matter how many listed). It also displays them on every page. The conditional is there also included to hide from members and exclude forum ID's

Code:
<xen:if is="({$post.position} % {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} == 0 OR {$post.position} % {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} == {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} - 1) AND !in_array({$forum.node_id}, array(99,126,129) AND !{$visitor.user_id}">
    AD CODE HERE
Thanks, I am going to test it.

yes no problem.
My adsense account manager said me it's ok, and many websites do that.
but about seo, I don't know if it's a good idea in the future to put big square above the fold
Wow, you have an account manager for your adsense! Premium publisher? :) I'm jealous!

Could you PM me your forum link? I'd like to have a look.

You can add a DIV to ads to create some bottom spacing before the posts text starts.

<div style="margin-bottom:20px;">
AD CODE HERE
</div>

I've spotted since that the code above does not display an advert after last post, not if you have less than max posts needed to fill the page. The only option, is to do what Bruce said in this thread and use the other template to show an advert after last post that way, just use the "ad_message_body" template" to show an ad in first post only.

Go back to using this instead: ad in first post only!

Code:
<xen:if is="{$post.position} % {$xenOptions.messagesPerPage} == 0 AND !in_array({$forum.node_id}, array(4,5) AND !{$visitor.user_id}">
AD CODE HERE

Top Bottom