Implemented Be able to merge Users

Jesepi

I'd like to be able to select 2 usernames and merge all posts/likes/ect into one. I would like to be able to pick which username the merge would leave as the single username.

Sometimes people have multiple logins for one reason or another. Being able to merge them is nice.

Upvote 100
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I've had to use merge users countless times in the past for one reason or another. I'd say, because the importer can already essentially do this, it would be great to see it become an option in the core product.

It would be desirable to have this feature, I keep running into the situation where it's required to merge.

I agree that this would be a good feature to have, although the suggestion that it should be easy because the Importer system already has a merge user system is invalid, as the importer does not have to work with existing data, it only works with data that is to be imported.

In order to work with existing data, we must take into account data belonging to users that is not part of the XenForo core. To that end, a solution must be developed whereby add-on developers may register the content types of their applications so that they too may have their authors merged.

This will require consultation with add-on authors in order to agree on the best approach. I have a few ideas that should work, but I will need add-on developers to sign up to the scheme in order to make it fly. Perhaps we could organise an online chat sometime, if Floris would agree to host it in his IRC room.

Yeah, irc.xenfo.ro channel #xenforo would do just fine. if you show up in there as registered user ill set you as founder so you can manage it.

I agree that this would be a good feature to have, although the suggestion that it should be easy because the Importer system already has a merge user system is invalid, as the importer does not have to work with existing data, it only works with data that is to be imported.

In order to work with existing data, we must take into account data belonging to users that is not part of the XenForo core. To that end, a solution must be developed whereby add-on developers may register the content types of their applications so that they too may have their authors merged.

This will require consultation with add-on authors in order to agree on the best approach. I have a few ideas that should work, but I will need add-on developers to sign up to the scheme in order to make it fly. Perhaps we could organise an online chat sometime, if Floris would agree to host it in his IRC room.
It shouldn't be that complicated... Just create a user model function mergeUsers($sourceID, $destinationID)... Then we can simply extend the model function, so that when it is run, we can use the $sourceID and $destinationID and update our own mods. Simple.

It shouldn't be that complicated... Just create a user model function mergeUsers($sourceID, $destinationID)... Then we can simply extend the model function, so that when it is run, we can use the $sourceID and $destinationID and update our own mods. Simple.
That's certainly one valid approach - and that's the sort of idea I was soliciting with my idea of a little conference so an approach could be agreed :)

Why not create an thread for this?
Why it must be a "complicated" irc chat, where not everybody would be able to discuss if he have no time?

My 0.02$

This is something which is essential :) Looking forward to the talks with developers, or a thread being posted by Kier/Mike, or whatever you decide to do. Hopefully this gets decided and slated for a XenForo 1.1 release at the least..

It's an important feature. But it is also important, that addons can easy interact with this system, to make own merge routines.

Top Bottom