Implemented Banned Users still in Members List

MYstIC G

Howdy,

Had my first drone user signup on my Xenforo installation today. Used the spam cleaner, everything worked fine. Only issue is that the user that's been dumped is still visible in the members lists.

This means that their profile can be accessed and the signature links that are complete spam are still visible and effectively on the site.

Is there some special way of excluding banned users from the members lists and/or preventing their profile url's being loaded? If not is this likely to be introduced as I think it would be much more effective than having to manually delete every daft spammer account.

Cheers!

Upvote 13
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I agree banned members should show up as guests and there profiles should be hidden.
I think they should show up as banned, but with permissions of guests (same as logged out). Profile should be inaccessible and just display banned member message or something. Or maybe overlay a transparent image of jail cell bars over their avatar too, lol. Hmm, that last one was a joke, but now I kinda want to do it.

I created 2 new usergroups for this purpose: Banned and Ex-Member.

I manually add users to one of those groups depending on why their account is cancelled.

Banned members are excluded from the member search but their profile page is still accessible if you click on their username or enter the url manually.

I created 2 new usergroups for this purpose: Banned and Ex-Member.

I manually add users to one of those groups depending on why their account is cancelled.

Banned members are excluded from the member search but their profile page is still accessible if you click on their username or enter the url manually.
Maybe I'm being daft or missing something but how does that work Brogan? I've gone through the permissions for groups but can't see anything like "display in member search" that I can deny?

I meant to edit my post to state that banned members are in fact shown in the search.

It's members which are "awaiting approval" which aren't.
It's done automatically, there isn't an option for it.

Apologies for the confusion.

Could someone possibly move this thread into the suggestions forum then please. I think this is fairly important as anything that prevents spam spreading is always a plus :)

Done.

In addition to removing them from the search and member list, changes would also have to be made when clicking on their username next to posts or trying to view their profile page.

Scenario:
  1. Bad user signs up with an extremely vulgar name
  2. Bad user spams all over the place
Admin is away so a Moderator decides to perform the following:
  1. Delete all threads/posts made by Bad user
  2. Bans the user

That is all well and good as the offensive Bad user(name) and their posts has been removed from the forums except their profile still exists and they still show up on the Member list. Extremely vulgar name is still visible.

Moderator has to wait for someone with the ability to delete the Bad user before he can he happy that Bad user (and his vulgar name) have been completely removed.

I'm going to bump this. This is only going to get worse going forward and it's still not been addressed in the 1.0.4 point release.

Here's an example of a banned member, removed using the spam cleaner.

Click on the info tab and there's all the spam rubbish anyway.

The only way around this is to delete the account and then it's not possible to keep track of the spam users (ip address, etc.) which then undermines the effectiveness of the spam cleaner, no?

This really does need sorting out guys, come on!

I agree as well, banned members profiles should not be accessible to search engines. etc, while its in its current forms its just going to encourage XF to become a bigger target for spammers, as they know even if they are banned they can still get a few links in the profile.

I'd go as far as also saying that there should be a centrally controlled option to hide new members profiles that have under x number of posts, to also stop those spammers that just register to slip in a sig link on the profile page.

I think XF has goen down the right track with the Spam Cleaner etc but they need to take this even further to help deal with the ever growing influx of spam.

I agree as well, banned members profiles should not be accessible to search engines. etc, while its in its current forms its just going to encourage XF to become a bigger target for spammers, as they know even if they are banned they can still get a few links in the profile.
Totally.

Pre-emptive action is definitely the best plan here because it's only going to take one smeggy spammer to figure it out and it'll become a problem across numerous customers boards.

Member Lists are near useless anyway !
I don't think they are frequently used.
I don't understand why "an alphabetical listing of all members" is a good thing for members to have access to.

In Xenforo's implementation:

(1) Highest-Posting Members : looks pretty, but not essential.
(2) Newest Members: Could be useful to get people to engage the newbies. Of course, surely there are better ways to let people know about newbies.
(3) Find Member: really the only important part of Members. Should only be accessible to people whom are registered (and probably have 5 legitimate posts). Shouldn't be visible to unregistered guests.
(4) An alphabetical listing of all members (currently 453 pages of members at xenforo.com) - near useless !
(5) Current Visitors: (accessible from Forum Home) ... can be useful.
(6) Recent Activity: seems like a good idea (but I myself dont use it). Probably a good Admin / Mod tool.

For those that don't think that Recent Activity is important .... Find a method of allowing people to "Find Members" somewhere else other than the Members Tab .... and then ditch the entire Members Tab !

Banned users and users waiting approval should NOT be in the input field dropdowns, nor in the members list.
Agreed.

What parts of the Members Tab are actually used and useful ?
xenforo.members.tab.not.that.useful.webp

Well, either that or an option in the admin control panel "Show this member group in members list". I really want a feature where, while banning a member you can automatically shift that particular member to a different group (I.E: Banned) instead of manually shifting. You can then set the banned group permission to your liking.

I can see that working well, if the option to shift members automatically is given we can disable avatar uploads, signatures etc for the banned group thus removal of all silly links from signatures and removal of avatars if any. Yes the username problem still persists, but at least makes it easier for us to finish the minor parts up fast (i.e, removing links/text from the signature etc)

Top Bottom