Allow editing ban reason in banned users list or user details

SeToY

Hey there,

it's currently rather cumbersome to edit a ban reason for a user that was banned a long time ago.

Reasons:
  • The banned users list does not allow searching
  • When searching for the user clicking on the "banned" link in the user details only allows to lift the ban, not to edit the ban itself

Cheers!

Upvote 8
Why would one wan to change the reason for the ban after any length of time? I can't really think of a valid reason to do so.

Because when a user was banned due to multi-accounting, we add a list of the names of the multiple accounts to the ban reason. If they register for another multi-account after a period of time, we would like to add that account to all the reasons of the banned accounts also.

Sounds like what you want more-so is the ability to have a "notes" section for a user profile/account. The "ban reason" really doesn't need to be edited more than to reflect "used multiple accounts" or similar. That way, it takes the clarification totally out of the "ban" function and places it into the user account where it really belongs. And this is something that could really be useful, especially if it's pushed to what it could allow.

Sounds like what you want more-so is the ability to have a "notes" section for a user profile/account.
Might be, but the difference is that a so-called "user note" would preferably not be shown to the user, whereas the ban reason is (and should).

Maybe something for @Xon's "User Essentials" or "Signup abuse detection and blocking"?

Might be, but the difference is that a so-called "user note" would preferably not be shown to the user, whereas the ban reason is (and should).

Maybe something for @Xon's "User Essentials" or "Signup abuse detection and blocking"?
But why would you want to say:
You are banned for using the usernames: willyno, willyyes, willymaybe, willyidontknow <ad-nauseum>
instead of it simply showing:
You are banned for use of multiple usernames/accounts

My point is, the detailing of the usernames, etc. would be better controlled in the ACP for documentation - I think you are thinking one massive "notes" location.... and I'm thinking more for specific areas, like .... and it doesn't have to be exposed to the user. I guess it's simply a difference in opinion. I personally don't think it's important to detail to the user every user name they may have tried to register with being "reason for ban". You simply place that username in the banned list and they don't get (and don't NEED) any feedback for it. All the end user really needs to know is that his/her knuckles got rapped for using multiple accounts.
The ACP could be expanded to allow for "general user notes" and "security issue notes" fairly easily.

I still agree with this feature.

We've dealt with problem users that were temporarily banned, and they're causing further problems while they're in the time out. Creating new accounts, abusing contact form, etc.

Being able to update the message to add further warning and extensions to the ban would be nice, rather than having to lift the ban and re-ban to adjust the message and time frame.

and extensions to the ban
Seconded; that's something I haven't thought about. But yeah, extending a ban due to bad behavior while in time-out might justify that feature as well, not just amending the ban reason but the entire ban (including its time) as well.

I STILL don't see the point in the request. Who REALLY cares if you tell them you are banned for <yet one more fake user account> That information is better tracked elsewhere. ALL the ban function really should do is show WHY a ban happened. They are ALREADY banned.
What I see being wanted is a "na-na, you got caught again so here's one more name to the list that ONLY you will see" function.
And as for "extending the ban"... pretty sure you can already do that with existing bans and detail WHY the ban was "extended". Your issue seems to be more to do with TRACKING it, which once more, IMHO the ban process is NOT the correct place to do it. There DOES need to be better trackiing/documentation of bans, but I don't see your suggestion making a drastic improvement.

I STILL don't see the point in the request. Who REALLY cares if you tell them you are banned for <yet one more fake user account> That information is better tracked elsewhere.
Uhm... have you read the previous two posts at all?
adjust the message and time frame
(including its time)
--
And as for "extending the ban"... pretty sure you can already do that with existing bans and detail WHY the ban was "extended".
You can already go into the acp and edit the length of the ban and the reason why. Nothing else is needed.
If you only have a couple of bans - sure. But try to find the corresponding user in 75 pages worth of bans. The ban list doesn't even have a search function. Sure, you could search for the user in the Admin CP, but the user details don't let you edit any ban details (just lifting the ban).

--

If you only have a couple of bans - sure. But try to find the corresponding user in 75 pages worth of bans. The ban list doesn't even have a search function. Sure, you could search for the user in the Admin CP, but the user details don't let you edit any ban details (just lifting the ban).
Actually I just checked, this can be done even by using the member profile card in the front end. With the edit ban option.

But why use ACP when you are already in the front end? I do agree however that you should be able to search the banned users section for a specific member but you can do the same thing to a banned user in the ACP or the front end.

yes, and extending a ban can already be done, and documented (even though it's not the best location to do such).
You are actually shotgunning what you want. It's "searching banned users. Pretty sure that can already be done via the ACP. Now, are you asking to be able to search via the moderator functions from the forum itself for moderators?

Your PRIME comment was the "being hard" to edit the ban reason for someone who was banned in the past. MY point is... what's the concern other than rubbing their nose in the fact that they may have done something else that aggravated you to "add to a ban reason"? The fact that they are banned remains a fact that they are banned. If you want to DOCUMENT such reasons, there are BETTER places that can be used to do such.

Being able to update the message to add further warning and extensions to the ban would be nice, rather than having to lift the ban and re-ban to adjust the message and time frame.
This can be done without lifting the ban, can be done in ACP or in the member profile page under moderator tools. You edit the ban time and put in a new ban reason then save all without lifting the ban.

can be done in ACP
Alas, I'm repeating myself.

Top Bottom