Backing up and restoring

Am I missing something? I don't see any way to backup or restore the xenforo database through xenforo. That's one of the things I really liked about phpbb3, it made regular backups a breeze, and made moving the forums and making test forums really fast and easy. I see the import option (used it to import from vb4, but it's a bit more complicated, and only has vbulletin options.

There is no backup option in the ACP.

If you have access to phpMyAdmin then you can do it from there.

It's worth mentioning that everything except avatars and attachments (plus any custom images) is stored in the database so there is no need to backup the server files apart from the /data and /internal_data directories.

Hrm, that's too bad. Time to zip over to the suggestions forum, I guess!

Thanks.
smile.png

Am I missing something? I don't see any way to backup or restore the xenforo database through xenforo. That's one of the things I really liked about phpbb3, it made regular backups a breeze, and made moving the forums and making test forums really fast and easy. I see the import option (used it to import from vb4, but it's a bit more complicated, and only has vbulletin options.
Yes I really liked that about phpbb also..

I'm gonna look into that, thanks.

I have another question though, in the mean time (because my database is NOT that big right now), and I need to backup while I figure out your link...

Can anyone explain what, if anything, is the difference between backing up my xenforo database through phpmyadmin and backing it up through the CPanel backup wizard?

Can anyone explain what, if anything, is the difference between backing up my xenforo database through phpmyadmin and backing it up through the CPanel backup wizard?

Both methods work well. But the CPanel backup can handle larger databases that phpmyadmin cannot. So if phpmyadmin fails then try CPanel.

The best backup method is a shell command. See this guide.

My vB3 forum database is 1G. I use a program, Backupsmart which downloads database files through cPanel. The serverload goes very high and eventually takes down my site.
So even cPanel has it's limits. Or maybe it's my server?
For those who do not have shell access, or are intimated like me, I've been using the program in post 5 to save the database to my website and use Backupsmart to download all my files late at night.
It's been working out very well. To back up all my sites to my local drive it takes probably 4 hours.

Top Bottom