XF 2.0 Avatar Gifs failing

mikez006

I'm having the same problem they had here, but no one posted their solution.

When I upload some gifs, I get the below error. Some gifs work, but it's very slow normally taking 20-25 seconds to complete the upload. This one is 3.5mb in size, we have a 5mb limit and it can't upload within the 30 second limit.

That same 3.5mb gif uploads to xenforo.com forums in 1-2 seconds, so I don't want to increase the 30 second limit.

Using imagick. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this or how to fix it?

error.jpg

Version: ImageMagick 6.9.10-68 Q16 x86_64 2020-04-01 https://imagemagick.org
centos-release-7-8.2003.0.el7.centos.x86_64
Features: Cipher DPC Modules OpenMP(3.1)
Delegates (built-in): bzlib cairo fontconfig freetype gslib jng jpeg lcms ltdl lzma openexr pangocairo png ps rsvg tiff wmf x xml zlib

Last edited:
It's an intensive operation resizing every frame of a gif.

Does a small gif such as this one work?

If so, that should rule out stuff like mod_evasive or mod_security and it's likely going to need some changes to the server settings.

Attachments

• cat.gif
    cat.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 20
small gifs work, but it's still slow. a 350kb gif took about 10 seconds to process. If I upload that same gif to these XF forums, it's under 1 sec.

Any idea what server settings should be adjusted to try to speed up processing time?

Uploading here isn't really a comparison as we aren't using Imagick and thus resizing a GIF will only use the first frame.

Uploading here isn't really a comparison as we aren't using Imagick and thus resizing a GIF will only use the first frame.
Ah, I thought it was still a gif. In the preview area it shows the gif working, but after I save I now see it's just a still image. Thanks.

Any recommendations on what server settings I should use to try to speed the process up?

There isn't really any direct configuration that can be done. The amount of processing for animated GIF resizing is directly related to the number of frames. A 10 frame GIF would take approximately 10 times as long as a single PNG/JPG. So the only option is really to allow longer processing time if you want to allow GIFs to be resized and maintain animation.

Top Bottom