Implemented Automatic upgrade / update

Shamil

I think that the forum software should be able to do autonomous updates within a minor series, i.e. 1.0 ->1.0.1 ->1.0.2, however, not for 1.1 or 1.2. Might be useful for bugfixes, etc.

This saves a little time downloading and uploading files.

Security could be ensured by means of simple md5 or whatever to verify integrity of the file downloaded by the system.

What do you guys think?

Upvote 57
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
one of the biggest hassles with vB upgrades for me is that... for some reason i have to rename the htaccess file in root to get the installer to work (it shows a blank page otherwise!). i have to download the image less version to save my existing smilies (of course!). and i have to edit the index.php file to make sure that forum file is the homepage and not the cms file...

things have gone rather weird with vb4... and i am not a very big fan of these changes.

wordpress is the way.

A forum system with automatic updates/upgrades and no styles changes after that is a dream.

Only issue i see with this is well you need style changes, As well a bug that has been fixed mite of needed changes to the style.
I do not know how the template system works but if it has a master style it could update that and the default or what ever style your using you can update them manually using a diffing tool.

This shouldn't be automatic, but doing it the same way WordPress does its updating would be utterly fantastic. I love just logging into WordPress seeing the little notice about an update, hitting "Update" and letting it do it's magic. I might need to adjust some things in my custom themes, but for the most part it does it all for me.

So maybe having it set up so that when it does the quick update it creates a seperate default style so we can just do comparison and migration ourselves? The merge feature for vB in all honesty is not that great. I don't trust it, would rather do it myself and make sure it's done right.

I don't think it should update automatically (without the admin's permission), but updating within the Admin CP would be awesome. WordPress has it and it is simply a spectacular feature. You would no longer have to go through the process of download, extract, upload, run upgrade script, etc. One click in the Admin CP and you're done. :)

If they could provide a feature like this, I think it would be completely great for XF.

This shouldn't be automatic, but doing it the same way WordPress does its updating would be utterly fantastic. I love just logging into WordPress seeing the little notice about an update, hitting "Update" and letting it do it's magic. I might need to adjust some things in my custom themes, but for the most part it does it all for me.

Totally agree. This should be part of the software!

This shouldn't be automatic, but doing it the same way WordPress does its updating would be utterly fantastic. I love just logging into WordPress seeing the little notice about an update, hitting "Update" and letting it do it's magic.

So do I !
It's almost a bit too easy !
For security updates, it would also significantly increase Administrator compliance with getting the updates installed quickly.

I seriously hate updating my forum software. I've converted all my forum software to wordpress/buddypress just because it's easy to update and lets me act as a member, which is all I really want anyways. +1 to this idea.

No plans for this? I think it would make XenForo stand out from the crowd even more than it already is. Or at least make it optional for those that doesn't have a very customised forum.

would be nice to have an upgrade button within the ACP, obviously with enough alerts if anything is going to break :)

A dashboard with important information... XenForo updates available... even go so far as providing notice as to which addons have updates available... this would require a repository where developers can place their addons.

Top Bottom