Implemented Automatic upgrade / update

Shamil

I think that the forum software should be able to do autonomous updates within a minor series, i.e. 1.0 ->1.0.1 ->1.0.2, however, not for 1.1 or 1.2. Might be useful for bugfixes, etc.

This saves a little time downloading and uploading files.

Security could be ensured by means of simple md5 or whatever to verify integrity of the file downloaded by the system.

What do you guys think?

Upvote 57
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
From a security standpoint, having an auto-update/one-click update feature is a BIG no no, as it requires that the files be available for writing by an untrusted user on the server. This either means chmodding the files so that they're writable by anyone, or making them writable by the webserver user. For anyone not on their own hosting, with their own security in place, this means that outsiders could potentially insert custom code into the XF files... a BAD idea. (phpshell anyone?). That said, I do use the wordpress one-click upgrade thing, but I do that on a dev server, commit the changes to bzr, then push them to the server (where the file permissions are locked down)
If this were an open source project, I'd not see much harm in adding it, but as a commercial application, I think this has the potential for some rather horrid problems.

Make them available for writing only when they need to be? If you're that concerned, automatic via FTP will work then.

Doesn't matter, as it's an internal connection (the server is connecting to itself). Anyone sniffing it would already be inside the server. :)
Indeed - but again, shared hosting - this'd then give them access to your account...
Oh, and sometimes - the FTP server isn't the same server hosting.
Oh, and if the hosts file isn't setup properly - well - then it'll use an external connection.

Indeed - but again, shared hosting - this'd then give them access to your account...
If someone else can sniff an internal connection within your server, then you need to get a new host. Or just use SFTP.
Oh, and sometimes - the FTP server isn't the same server hosting.
Oh, and if the hosts file isn't setup properly - well - then it'll use an external connection.
It will still be in the same data center, in which case the internal network would be insecure and you shouldn't be using that host. An FTP abstraction layer is much less dangerous than using FTP from home, which most of us do every day. :)

If someone else can sniff an internal connection within your server, then you need to get a new host. Or just use SFTP.

It will still be in the same data center, in which case the internal network would be insecure and you shouldn't be using that host. An FTP abstraction layer is much less dangerous than using FTP from home, which most of us do every day. :)
Or if you're sensible, use secure connections. SSH ftw

If we can come up with a foolproof, secure and atomic way to achieve semi-automatic upgrades, it is most certainly something we would like to pursue.
How about a shell script which wget/curl (after prompt for customer credentials), extract, and run upgrade script via command line php or bash?
It is "semi-automatic" enough that only those with SSH access can invoke, and automated sufficiently that most people with sufficient access would be able to use it without too much trouble.

It is "semi-automatic" enough that only those with SSH access can invoke, and automated sufficiently that most people with sufficient access would be able to use it without too much trouble.
Someone on the vBulletin team stated that most of their customers don't even know how to use FTP. I would argue that running an upgrade script through an SSH shell is even harder and I'm pretty confident that most people would have no idea how to do it and wouldn't be interested in learning.

It needs to be done through the admin panel, like WordPress. WordPress has been doing it without any problems, so I don't think it would be too hard to write an implementation that is easy, robust, and secure. :)

A WordPress-inspired updater would really make XenForo stand out in the crowd. All of the forums require you to manually upload updates, or go through some irritating process - put an end to this!

Only issue if you use a wordpress-like update script, it will not work on windows server 2008. Well would not work on the setup on i am now with IIS. So if Xenforo did go with something like that they would have to test it on a lot of different configs.

Only issue if you use a wordpress-like update script, it will not work on windows server 2008. Well would not work on the setup on i am now with IIS. So if Xenforo did go with something like that they would have to test it on a lot of different configs.

It works with on my Windows server, but that's me :/

Be interesting to know the statistics of the amount of people who'd run XF on LAMP (or similar) and benefit from WP-inspired updating vs the amount running on Windows Server 2008.

Be interesting to know the statistics of the amount of people who'd run XF on LAMP (or similar) and benefit from WP-inspired updating vs the amount running on Windows Server 2008.
You can always do a manual update, so 80% of users (?) is better than 0% of users. :)

You can always do a manual update, so 80% of users (?) is better than 0% of users. :)

True - but I do wonder if the 80% of users would be less users because of the lack of a facility to easily update. So - would automatic/simple updating attract more users? I think it would.

Wordpress is huge, they have automatic update system, as far as I am aware, I've never heard of any issues/problems/exploits etc.

Just use their system :P

I think when the new version is ready an alert should display with the link to download (customers area). And it must be viewable only to Super-Admins (if xenForo use this system).

Top Bottom