Implemented Automatic upgrade / update

Shamil

I think that the forum software should be able to do autonomous updates within a minor series, i.e. 1.0 ->1.0.1 ->1.0.2, however, not for 1.1 or 1.2. Might be useful for bugfixes, etc.

This saves a little time downloading and uploading files.

Security could be ensured by means of simple md5 or whatever to verify integrity of the file downloaded by the system.

What do you guys think?

Upvote 57
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like this idea but i would like to see it set out like this,

1) not an auto update but one-click update
2) only super administrators (set in config or something) can run the updates.
3) only for bug fix releases.
4) its optional to use the update system so dev still release updated files on site for the people that modify files.

So if this would to come to xenforo that's how i would like to see it set out.

I agree, future updates and or upgrades should be from Admin CP with the Super admin's permission similar to WordPress or SMF
(Or should we lower our expectations :rolleyes: )

A Wordpress-like FTP update would be great. I can't guarantee I won't edit files though, so auto-updates are a definite no-no for me.

Even before my vBulletin license expired, a few file edits here and there were always necessary, so can't have those removed. Besides, I'm a control freak. ;)

v3arcade used to have an auto-install games script where you'd log into the admincp and it'd install them by default.

I would like to see some form of automatic install AFTER clicking an upgrade link. I would also only want to update files that haven't been modified (or have them suffixed with .old or the previous version number).

vBulletin has a new upgrade script

Okay, not quite on topic (but a bit)... but did Internet Brands finally something good when they will be releasing this improved vBulletin upgrade process? :
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry.php?2434-4.1-feature-Improved-Upgrader

Not that I minded it that much, but on every vBulletin upgrade in the past you had to click 'Next' many many times, because the upgrade was 'paused' after every single step. Curious to find out how it all will work in XenForo.

Okay, not quite on topic (but a bit)... but did Internet Brands finally something good when they will be releasing this improved vBulletin upgrade process? :

Not that I minded it that much, but on every vBulletin upgrade in the past you had to click 'Next' many many times, because the upgrade was 'paused' after every single step. Curious to find out how it all will work in XenForo.
//OT LOL, maybe they've grabbed the idea from this thread?

Looks pretty slick. I wonder how this is working behind the scenes. Is it running another PHP script and constantly making AJAX requests to update the status? The command-line option is also interesting. I assume it's PHP from the command-line and not a stand-alone executable? :)

Even the old SMF has the updates from within for modifications and system updates. Its so nice to have and hope that is here as well.

I disagree with this mod for the same grounds you disagree with mine. People wont go to the website to discuss said update...which in your own words is not good. ;)

I disagree with this mod for the same grounds you disagree with mine. People wont go to the website to discuss said update...which in your own words is not good. ;)
Actually, he wasn't the one that was against your suggestion, he was stating there was a previous post regarding it.

Also, my statement was concerning the decentralization that Wordpress plugins and skins deal with due to the way they've implemented their system; most feedback, suggestions and bug reports are done directly to each developers site.

Being vindictive is all fine and good, but at least say it to the proper person. 

If xenForo has a strict set of rules for modifications and template edits [well not really template edit] then i don't see this being a problem, It can actually be quite nice :)

From a security standpoint, having an auto-update/one-click update feature is a BIG no no, as it requires that the files be available for writing by an untrusted user on the server. This either means chmodding the files so that they're writable by anyone, or making them writable by the webserver user. For anyone not on their own hosting, with their own security in place, this means that outsiders could potentially insert custom code into the XF files... a BAD idea. (phpshell anyone?). That said, I do use the wordpress one-click upgrade thing, but I do that on a dev server, commit the changes to bzr, then push them to the server (where the file permissions are locked down)
If this were an open source project, I'd not see much harm in adding it, but as a commercial application, I think this has the potential for some rather horrid problems.

on every vBulletin upgrade in the past you had to click 'Next' many many times, because the upgrade was 'paused' after every single step
We never documented it, but vBulletin 3 supported automatic advancing right from version 3.0

define('UPGRADE_AUTOPROCEED', true); in config.php

Top Bottom