1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Automatic update of "What's new"

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Steve Fabian, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Steve Fabian

Steve Fabian New Member

Provide automatic update of "What's new", with user specifiable update period.

Allow users to select which view is their default. My personal preference is "What's new".
    abdalla17 likes this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Automatic updating of that could be an unnecessary drain on resources. Also, when something is only one click away, does it really need to be automatic?
    Insy and MichaelDance like this.
  3. MichaelDance

MichaelDance Well-Known Member

You'd end up using too much cpu & ram.
  4. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

I guess you could add a meta tag for refresh to your template and achieve this
  5. Steve Fabian

Steve Fabian New Member

Really? On my 2GiB system in a typical usage I have 1.1GiB physical and 1.9GiB virtual RAM free. Setting the update period to 10min and assuming each update uses 1s of CPU time (a gross exaggeration, I suspect) it would still use less than 0.17% of CPU time. If that is a burden, you need a faster system anyway! BTW, Outlook Express is set to download all new mail and news messages every 5min - a much higher system burden.

Not just one click away. I work on the keyboard for 99% of my work (as I suspect is the case for most of those not dealing with games or art) , taking my hand off the keyboard to make a click is a nuisance. Furthermore, I like my mail to be home delivered, instead of going to the post office to check whether or not something new arrived. To me, browsing for news is like taking a trip more often wasted than useful.
    How about someone answering what negative effect would arise from being able to set the "what's new" display as my default, so after I use "Mark forums read" I would automatically see the "nothing new" display, instead of the full list of available fora?
  6. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

If you have hundreds of users online, yes, this is a burden.
  7. Steve Fabian

Steve Fabian New Member

You must be talking about the server, not the client.
  8. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Of course.

It's no problem at all for the client. There's no resource drain at all on the client side. But it puts a heck of a burden on the server side. And that's the problem.
  9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific ?
    If you don't mind me asking, exactly what problem is your request attempting to solve ?

There is real time updating .... ala Digital Spy

Or would this work for your needs ?

10. Steve Fabian

Steve Fabian New Member

Thanks, that seems to be the answer, assuming it can be used on the forum family I am continuously monitoring. I will look into it this week end.