Lack of interest Automatic update of "What's new"

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
You'd end up using too much cpu & ram.
Really? On my 2GiB system in a typical usage I have 1.1GiB physical and 1.9GiB virtual RAM free. Setting the update period to 10min and assuming each update uses 1s of CPU time (a gross exaggeration, I suspect) it would still use less than 0.17% of CPU time. If that is a burden, you need a faster system anyway! BTW, Outlook Express is set to download all new mail and news messages every 5min - a much higher system burden.

...Also, when something is only one click away, does it really need to be automatic?
Not just one click away. I work on the keyboard for 99% of my work (as I suspect is the case for most of those not dealing with games or art) , taking my hand off the keyboard to make a click is a nuisance. Furthermore, I like my mail to be home delivered, instead of going to the post office to check whether or not something new arrived. To me, browsing for news is like taking a trip more often wasted than useful.
=======================
How about someone answering what negative effect would arise from being able to set the "what's new" display as my default, so after I use "Mark forums read" I would automatically see the "nothing new" display, instead of the full list of available fora?

Of course.

It's no problem at all for the client. There's no resource drain at all on the client side. But it puts a heck of a burden on the server side. And that's the problem.

Provide automatic update of "What's new", with user specifiable update period.
Can you be more specific ?
If you don't mind me asking, exactly what problem is your request attempting to solve ?

There is real time updating .... ala Digital Spy
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/digital-point-spy.85/

digitalpoint submitted a new resource: Digital Point Spy

Spy for realtime monitoring of things going on within your forum.

Or would this work for your needs ?

dropdown.new.posts.vB3.webp

Top Bottom