XF 2.2 Automated bounced email handler

Chad

I enabled Automated bounced email handler and I see so far over 1k bounced emails from a newsletter sent after the option was enabled. However, I started looking up some of the bounced emails and they are still showing "Receive news and update emails" enabled option in their profiles. Am I misunderstanding how this works? Where do the bounced emails show in admin panel and their logs?

The email bounce log section is empty, baffling me.

they are still showing "Receive news and update emails" enabled option in their profiles.
Profile options are not updated for members with bounced email addresses.

The status is updated to Email invalid (bounced).

It is the status change which prevents further emails being sent.

I just checked a bunch of accounts and they show "valid" instead of "email invalid (bounced)" for user state field even though their emails return as bounced. What am I missing here?

See attached. Updated email settings. Logs still empty for bounced emails and sample of one user who had 554 returned, bounced email. Profile still shows as valid.

Edit: added 4th and 5th images

Attachments

• bounced-logs.webp
    bounced-logs.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 90
  • email-setting.webp
    email-setting.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 65
  • user.webp
    user.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 67
  • handler.webp
    handler.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 64
  • threshold.webp
    threshold.webp
    61.4 KB · Views: 91
I see 4 of these in admin home page.

Code:
Server error log
Zend\Mail\Protocol\Exception\RuntimeException: Bounce connection error: last request failed src/vendor/zendframework/zend-mail/src/Protocol/Pop3.php:166
Generated by: Unknown account Aug 12, 2020 at 12:53 PM
Stack trace
#0 src/vendor/zendframework/zend-mail/src/Protocol/Pop3.php(104): Zend\Mail\Protocol\Pop3->readResponse()
#1 src/vendor/zendframework/zend-mail/src/Storage/Pop3.php(148): Zend\Mail\Protocol\Pop3->connect('talkjesus.com', 587, 'tls')
#2 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(260): Zend\Mail\Storage\Pop3->__construct(Object(stdClass))
#3 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(15): XF\EmailBounce\Processor::getDefaultBounceHandlerStorage(Object(XF\Pub\App))
#4 src/XF/Container.php(28): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->XF\SubContainer\{closure}(Object(XF\Container))
#5 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(43): XF\Container->offsetGet('storage')
#6 src/XF/Job/EmailBounce.php(20): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->storage()
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(253): XF\Job\EmailBounce->run(G)
#8 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(195): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, G)
#9 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(79): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, G)
#10 job.php(42): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#11 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(8) "/job.php"
  ["referrer"] => string(37) "https://www.talkjesus.com/login/login"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Connection error means you are unable to connect to that email account.

Check the configuration settings for the account in cPanel: port number is different for IMAP vs. POP, encryption none vs. SSL; hostname (e.g., mail@yourdopmain.com); username for the bounced account=email address usually; password.

Try unchecking the email unsubscribe option until you get the bounced option working.

Are you certain? It says TLS for encryption up there. Try SSL. Or unencrypted with 110 (see below).

Also it says port 587. That's an SMTP port for non-SLL (unencrypted) outgoing mail. That's correct for your main forum outgoing mail account but not for incoming bounced mail.

Check Enable automated email handler and use POP3 (incoming mail) with port 110 below that.

I figured it out, but want to use a mail service now like Mailgun or Sendgrid. Problem is, their low bounce rate threshold before they suspend the domain. I have about 13k members and need to find a way to stop emailing accounts that get bounced. Is there a safe way to do validation for all, some sort of export/import option? I know mailgun has a validation tool, but not sure how that works with XF.

Well I tried sending a newsletter and my bounce back email is showing over 500 bounced (554) errors, yet only 3 in the admin bounce log area and I checked those accounts, user state is still valid instead of "email invalid" state.

Why is this happening @XenForo ?

Depending on your settings, an email has to bounce at least X times (default 3) OR in X days before it is added to the bounced email list. This is to protect against flagging accounts due to server down or other temporary server or site issues.

Last edited:
Does this look accurate? I now see 52 in the logs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-13 Email options Talk Jesus - Admin control panel.webp
    Screenshot_2020-08-13 Email options Talk Jesus - Admin control panel.webp
    92.7 KB · Views: 181
I think that means your member will be flagged the very first time the email bounces. That may not be a good thing - see above:

Depending on your settings, an email has to bounce at least X times (default 3) OR in X days before it is added to the bounced email list. This is to protect against flagging accounts due to server down or other temporary server or site issues.
Please note the correction here: it's either/or not and. Whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom