Audentio Design Membership?

Audentio Design a membership site?

• Yes

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters
Plus, the way the framework is, it's relatively simple to now continue creating different looks.

Simple yes, but inevitably there will come a time when an update will require individual edits across all 50 products. Not to mention supporting them all. If he has 1000 customers who would buy it, and can live on 50k a year, and run this as his full time job, then, yes, by all means id encourage him to go for it.

On the other hand, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count businesses who have started on such a "offer it cheap, get lots of customers" and failed because of it.

On the other hand, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count businesses who have started on such a "offer it cheap, get lots of customers" and failed because of it.

And I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the amount of businesses that jumped in headfirst and took a chance at something and succeeded.

Everything is a risk, regardless of the choice.

What would happen to those of us that spent the price of the 1st style and then another $100.00 for a unlimited license of that style? It now becoming $55.00 you get not just that style, but every style for unlimited sites. I think also this will cut into the quality of the styles and the top notch support you offer as this sort of pricing is going to cause you to get slammed in extra work to support it. How are you going to work renewing too? I could see a lot of people using this to get the styles and not renew the next year continuing to use your styles. Lastly your opening yourself to more piracy, now instead of a warez site purchasing 1 style with a stolen credit card, they now gain access to everything for about the same price.

For the record @Mike Edge , anything we do would be in addition to, I would never ever have someone pay for something and then get screwed out of it because of a policy change. We would apply the amount to your account and then some.

This is all speculative. I just want to help people out in any way I can. I agree I should have more styles before making the thread, but I was kind of curious to see where people are at. @Slavik you make a good point, a point that maybe I should be worried and think about it more (which of course I will). Again, my only goal is to make sure people are happy. I figured some people might prefer memberships. The monthly option does intrigue me though. I feel as though many would find that too expensive.

Instead of so cheap, why not offer the styles the way they are now and then a lifetime club membership.. something like a one time $300.00 cost giving you access to all current and new styles for unlimited usage for life for the single $300.00 fee.

Instead of so cheap, why not offer the styles the way they are now and then a lifetime club membership.. something like a one time $300.00 cost giving you access to all current and new styles for unlimited usage for life for the single $300.00 fee.
Im scared of life-time support, but I appreciate the idea. And we do have life-time licenses such as domain removal and such. Just not the product support license itself. Essentially when you buy a product from me for $30 or whatever, you're paying for support for the year. Thats how I look at it. I get thousands of tickets, its tough to keep up. Not that our products have a lot of bugs, its just people ask a lot of questions. Which I'm OK with so long as there is a small payment for it.

There is another theme site I know (different software), they have a 3 months/30€, 6 months/40€ and 12 months/60€ 'theme club' plan set up, and the number of people who go "I'm not spending 30€ on just one theme" as well as "why can't you have a one month subscription, I don't need support" is surprising.

Hm, that would depend on the software though. For example, I have wordpress sites with the latest version, running on a theme that I put there 4 years ago, and it still runs without problems. But in xenforo, in most upgrades you would need an upgrade of your style.

Like I said, from an end user PoV, fantastic.

From your point of view, are you willing to support and update styles for pennies each year.

Say you got 100 signed up at $50, nice, $5000 in the back pocket. But by the time you divide that between the 50 styles, thats a mere $100 per style to keep it up to date each year. I say "mere" because, I assume at $20-$30 a pop for your high quality work, you sell more than 4-5 a year on each style.

Are you willing to do that?

I'd hate to see a company such as yours disappear due to overcommiting and under funding.
This was one of the things that came up when Kim and I discussed this two years ago.

Another issue is that it would be super convenient for the pirating scene to get a hold of a full catalog of styles.

Bad idea. One person gets a sub, downloads all of the themes, uploads them to a warez site/forum and you're out a lot of money, unlike now where they would have to pay for each theme individually.

I've seen too many coders give up because of this...

Mike, I decided to sleep on this before posting.

First of all, I think $55 is too undervalued, you could easily get away with $75 (or more) a year, especially if that would give access to the entire catalog of skins.

I also personally don't think you should aim for 50+ different skins, this will only increase your work load maintaining compatibility, aim for 25 or so, remember... quality always triumphs over quantity.

If you do this move you won't be happy for a long time. And we as your customers too. I am all with Slavik here.

Continue to sell the styles as you do now. Even think about raising your pricing given the huge success of UI.X.

If you really like (I won't do it) sell such a license in addition to single licenses. Such a global, non-expireing license should be at least 10 times the price of the single license.

Remember: People tend to undervalue products with a low price tag.

Also YOU have to be happy with your income first to make your customers happy with well maintained products. That always trumps a low price tag in the long run.

I don't think the XF market is that big to support such a model. It works well in the WP side because of the huge market of WordPress sites (20 something of the web is powered by WP ..)

Plus most WP authors don't give any much support besides the basic set up.

I feel in the long run you will not be able to sustain your business especially if this is your full time occupation.

Release a theme every month, introduce better membership models based on date; 3 months, 6 months, 12 months and/or number of websites the designs can be used (5, 10 etc.) than it's doable. You’ll make more money, give the subscriber more option, everyone is happy!

Not a model for me. We use 1 style only, i have and never will have the need to download more than 1 style.

Would there still be the option to buy individual styles as well as joining the membership side of things? Just wondering.

Top Bottom