Attention Add-on Developers: Would this suffice or ... ?

LPH

The community I'm fixing has numerous add-ons. In fact, so many add-ons that if credit was given on each line within the footer then the site style would be overwhelmed. Some developers are asking for links back to their sites - and this is fine with me - but it can be a bit too much. Some developers are asking for copyright removal payment for removal.

I don't want to remove the links or developer credit but would like one page with all of the credits. This is the current page.

Tux Reports Network Connect Credits | Tux Reports Network Community Connect 2013-06-20 10-42-57.webp

As a developer, what are your thoughts? Is this meeting your expectations or do you really insist on being in the footer of every page?

Thank you for your feedback.

Its really up to the add-on developer, and it was discussed at length previously. Its best to seek permission from each individual add-on author.

Its really up to the add-on developer, and it was discussed at length previously. Its best to seek permission from each individual add-on author.

I understand each developer would have to consent but it's getting to be a bit much to carry all the credits in the footer. Worse, developers are hooking into different templates.

I understand, that's why I personally only put copyright notices on the pages where my add-on is used. However, its up to the developer, and you still need to request permission. I'd give that thread a read through to see most of the arguments, since I won't rehash this here.

I understand, that's why I personally only put copyright notices on the pages where my add-on is used. However, its up to the developer, and you still need to request permission. I'd give that thread a read through to see most of the arguments, since I won't rehash this here.

Way ahead. I'm reading that thread now because I didn't know it existed. After all, it started in 2010 ;)

Maybe Brogan or another would merge.

Waindigo and I think a few other add-on authors let you remove the copyright. Waindigo supplies an add-on, or you can just use CSS.

Honestly though I would suggest avoiding add-ons with a copyright notice if you do not want them. It limits you to less add-ons.

While I'm fine with displaying copyrights, I usually only use add-ons that don't use a copyright, or ones that I can remove.
Way ahead. I'm reading that thread now because I didn't know it existed. After all, it started in 2010 ;)

Maybe Brogan or another would merge.

The thread should be burned and salted.

Honestly though I would suggest avoiding add-ons with a copyright notice if you do not want them. It limits you to less add-ons.

Interestingly though, since that thread, i've noticed most addons either
a) display no copyright at all
b) put a very unobtrusive link on the addons page only
or c) let you remove the copyright FoC.

Seems the days of a novel at the bottom of a forum are behind us :)

Waindigo and I think a few other add-on authors let you remove the copyright. Waindigo supplies an add-on, or you can just use CSS.

While I'm fine with displaying copyrights, I usually only use add-ons that don't use a copyright, or ones that I can remove.

The thread should be burned and salted.

Well, after reading that thread, I can see some challenges which need to be avoided.

First, removal from the footer must be done with developers' approval.
Second, branding free options are available and if that is the developers' wish then it should be honored.
Third, some free add-ons are not getting any links and this type of page would help them.

But I apologize if this was a re-hash. I only meant a credit's page in a positive way. So, I've developed the page, have it linked, and will use it so that all the free add-ons without footer requirements can benefit. Next, I've left the footer add-ons because that is the developers' wish ...

On the note of would it be enough, since BBCM doesn't include a copyright to begin with, yes, I'm fine with you putting it on there. ;) lol

Well, after reading that thread, I can see some challenges which need to be avoided.

First, removal from the footer must be done with developers' approval.
Second, branding free options are available and if that is the developers' wish then it should be honored.
Third, some free add-ons are not getting any links and this type of page would help them.

But I apologize if this was a re-hash. I only meant a credit's page in a positive way. So, I've developed the page, have it linked, and will use it so that all the free add-ons without footer requirements can benefit. Next, I've left the footer add-ons because that is the developers' wish ...

No need to apologize, my issue with the other thread was that it was forceful and that people in it were talking of forcing developers to do as they wished.

No need to apologize, my issue with the other thread was that it was forceful and that people in it were talking of forcing developers to do as they wished.

Developers should never be forced. I've learned that lesson after helping out with an add-on here. Sometimes people have a misunderstanding of what it takes to develop something. Consumers are not just paying for the hours of developing a single product but all of the time to learn how to do the developing, too.

You'll also notice the previous one is locked.

Yes. The other thread provides enough information. I just didn't know it existed. Anyone interested in this topic should definitely read that other thread.

I see no problem at all with voluntarily having a credits page and in fact it's a good idea.

I should probably do that myself to give some recognition back to the developers of the add-ons I use.

Top Bottom