ArrowChat - Facebook Style Chat

ArrowChat - Facebook Style Chat v4.1.1

No permission to download
@ArrowSuites could you please list the exact permissions that can be set for each usergroup?
Here's a screenshot of the permissions for a user group.. These are taken from the Arrowchat admin panel, they are not added into the permission system for XenForo. The user groups are all listed in the Arrowchat admin panel after being pulled from the database. I don't have a problem with the fact that they are here, my issue is the implementation which is contrary to how XenForo permissions work.

upload_2015-5-17_18-16-6.webp

Changing all of these options to "Enable" rather than "Disable" would go some way to solving the issue for XenForo. However it wouldn't address the "Never" option which is needed when you want to override an "Allow" permission from another user group. I have a Naughty Step group that I would remove the Arrowchat permission from. As I would add people to this group (it uses Never to override some of the XenForo permissions they have from other groups they are in) then having "Enable" instead of "Disable" for the above would mean I couldn't disable Arrowchat for that group unless a "Never" permission was also added.

I managed to get 1.8.3 to work even with permissions, the only broken thing is the specific main usergroup Registered, could not see the chat rooms even when enabled.

Found the culprit.

Arrowchat vanishes when I have caching on the site enabled.

Code:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;
$config['cache']['frontend'] = 'Core';
$config['cache']['frontendOptions']['cache_id_prefix'] = 'rpn';
$config['cache']['frontendOptions']['automatic_serialization'] = true;

$config['cache']['cacheSessions'] = true;

$config['cache']['backend'] = 'Memcached';
$config['cache']['backendOptions'] = array(
        'compression' => false,
        'servers' => array(
                array(
                        // your memcached server IP /address
                        'host' => 'localhost',

// memcached port
                        'port' => 11211,
                )
        )
);

Not going to stop caching our large site for arrowchat >_>....

I think it would work a lot better if ArrowChat usergroup permissions would be in the xenforo usergroup settings. This way it makes sense to use the same standards as XF.

I'm sure the reason why it was done this way is so that they didn't have to tailor it to every single integration they support, so don't count on it.

Also any one have the same issue as I with the caching issue?

Not setting any usergroup permissions should make ArrowChat behave exactly like 1.8.21. You could simply ignore usergroup permissions for now if there is an issue with XenForo. Although, it sounds like there is not technically an issue, it's just that the registered usergroup cannot be touched as it is a group for every user. I am working on the best way to address this problem, though.

I think it would work a lot better if ArrowChat usergroup permissions would be in the xenforo usergroup settings. This way it makes sense to use the same standards as XF.
There are a lot of reasons why this won't quite work, unfortunately.

Also any one have the same issue as I with the caching issue?
The solution is here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/arrowchat-facebook-style-chat-paid.66365/page-7#post-926955

I'm sure the reason why it was done this way is so that they didn't have to tailor it to every single integration they support, so don't count on it.
Likely, but if they would have then the permissions would work for XenForo. Plus and that's the more important thing: are the new permissions really turning off functions or just hiding by css?

@ArrowSuites any idea why I can't get it to work with someone who is only a member of the Registered group? As I have said, as soon as I add them to another user group that chat bar appears. Its not the Registered group permissions settings either as when theyvare disabled no-one can see chat.

@ArrowSuites any idea why I can't get it to work with someone who is only a member of the Registered group? As I have said, as soon as I add them to another user group that chat bar appears. Its not the Registered group permissions settings either as when theyvare disabled no-one can see chat.
I'm going to take a look at this later today. Theoretically, it should work. However, there might be some funky thing causing this.

Not setting any usergroup permissions should make ArrowChat behave exactly like 1.8.21. You could simply ignore usergroup permissions for now if there is an issue with XenForo. Although, it sounds like there is not technically an issue, it's just that the registered usergroup cannot be touched as it is a group for every user. I am working on the best way to address this problem, though.

There are a lot of reasons why this won't quite work, unfortunately.

The solution is here: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/arrowchat-facebook-style-chat-paid.66365/page-7#post-926955

Worked like a charm for an older version, lets see what happens with the latest one.

I'm going to take a look at this later today. Theoretically, it should work. However, there might be some funky thing causing this.

Whereas the issue I had was it showed for registered usergroup but the chat rooms did not show even with the correct permissions set.

@ArrowSuites I've narrowed this down to being an issue with someone being in a single user group.

I created another user group on XenForo with all permissions. For a test user, I made this their primary user group. They were in no other user groups. They could not see the chat bar. I then added the Registered group as a secondary user group and the test user could see the chat bar.

Looking at the user details in the Arrowchat ACP, there is a trailing comma when there is only one user group:

upload_2015-5-17_19-16-27.webp

There are no trailing commas when a user is in multiple groups.

Last edited:
Those are pretty essential usergroup permissions.
You can add individuals as mods and admins in Arrowchat. This is no different to how these work in XenForo. The mod and admin user groups in XenForo do not allow you to do full moderation or to ban users etc.

@Martok

This is completely untested, but I'm fairly confident in it being the issue. Open the includes/integration.php file.

Find:
Code:
$group_ids[] = $val;

Replace with:
Code:
                    if (!empty($val))
                        $group_ids[] = $val;

@Martok

This is completely untested, but I'm fairly confident in it being the issue. Open the includes/integration.php file.

Find:
Code:
$group_ids[] = $val;

Replace with:
Code:
                    if (!empty($val))
                        $group_ids[] = $val;
I've only carried out a quick test but it appears to work.

Sigh.

The site is still too large even with this new update. The push service while it does sync tabs and stuff, has minimal impact on load and turning on the push service suddenly makes it so some users have their browsers question.

The hide tab doesn't stick when you click on it, basically the chat cries for mercy and that is us trying to contain it to about 800 users at the same time.

Might try pubnub, anyone had any decent experience with them?

Might be a better alternative to the arrowsuites push service.

Top Bottom