What are you?

• I'm a Mac

Votes: 36 27.9%
  • I'm a PC

Votes: 64 49.6%
  • I'm both

Votes: 29 22.5%

• Total voters
PC here. Macs are very uncommon in my area. Nobody works on them, and very difficult to buy if you wanted one :rolleyes:

I am quiet happy the thread was not a PC vs Mac vs Linux. Good job people. And btw, I am still loving my little MBP 13" more everyday.

I'm a penguin. We can live on Macs and PCs.

And since Macs are now Intel based, they are PCs anyway.
Hey: Mac is a personal computer, since they exists! Only one "****ing" micro-architecture was the diffrence about "PC" and "MAC". ;)

I use Mac since April 2008. I like Mac OS X and i is for me it is easier for the work. :)

I'd like to get a mac, but I'm so used to a windows environment that I've used since 3.1 days, that and the fact I've just threw 2k at a new machine, I can't really afford a mac atm.

The issue with this whole pc or mac issue is this.

I love the slickness of macs and the sexiness of aluminum bodies...but flash players are really starting to take a toll on the mac setup when I'm trying to look at my HiDef adult videos played inside the flash player. I guess this is why some sites are starting to offer HTML5 players.
So I have to use my netbook to watch what I wish I could on my mac.

Why would you want to run OSX on arm/sparc? O_o
I was just saying that linux and osx are just fine, they work on Intel.

I have an old PPC mac mini...not sure what to do with the old girl now. She runs 10.3....don't think she can go higher than 10.5 :(

Why would you want to run OSX on arm/sparc? :confused:
Because you can! (well, if you could, haha)

So just a silly question: ignoring the ability to run Windows alongside on the Intel Macs, how is the user experience for native apps and average computer use for Macs now compared to the experience at the time when they ran on Motorola?
Was the jump to Intel a noticeable improvement, or is it about the same (again, for native apps, not in regards to portability or compatibility)?

So, my cousin asked me to buy her a 27" iMac for her birthday, which I'll do because she asked, and she needs it for University. Being curious what it would take to put together a similar system for a similar price on my preferred custom built PC site (http://ibuypower.com); all specs are as similar as I can make them, and are either the same hardware, or similarly priced (In the case of RAM, I went with 3Gig instead of 6Gig, when the 6Gig is a free upgrade, however it is the same MHz).

27" iMac:
Processor: 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
Primary Hard Drive: 1TB Serial ATA Drive
Optical Drive: 8x double-layer SuperDrive
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Gamer Paladin F875 (http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_F875):
Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case - Red (Default)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache) (Closest in price and spec to 27" iMac)
Liquid CPU: Cooling System [SOCKET-1366] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan (Free, didn't think to change it)
Memory: 3 GB [1 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Corsair Value or Major Brand (Free upgrade to 6 GB, however chose to stay with 3 GB to make the comparison similar)
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 1GB - Single Card (Same as iMac)
Video Card Brand: Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA
Motherboard: ASUS P6T SE
Power Supply: 850 Watt -- XFX Black Edition
Primary Hard Drive: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive (Default drive)
Optical Drive: 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black (Only 8x available was a Blu-Ray)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit (Default OS)
Monitor: 27" LCD 1920x1080 -- Sceptre X270W-1080P

iMac comes to $2,429.40 ($2,199 before tax & free shipping).
iBuyPower comes to $1,984.17 ($1,694 before tax & shipping).

So for bout 450 more you get a clean design, great experience, access to a lot of free and affordable software.
And for 450 less you get not that, but you get to pay a lot for all the software. And after a year you're renewing your antivirus *again* and probably replacing hardware with better or bigger alternatives. While the mac will just run on year 5 as if it was day 2 after purchase.

In 5 years, let me know how it went :) And we will see what's (still?) cheaper.

I am glad I switched, and I am glad my family members switched - and they tell me they're glad they've switched too.

Top Bottom