XF 2.1 Approval queue improvements, Admin options UI tweaks, Guest page caching and more!

Welcome to the fifth in our "Have you seen...?" series for XF 2.1. In case you've not yet seen the previous entries, (why not?!) you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend giving that "Watch forum" link a tap and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

@Chris D with guest page caching, is there any support for this to have a dedicated cache backend or will this require an add-on?
That was the cache "context" mention, though it actually goes further than that as it applies everywhere now. There was going to be more explanation in a future HYS.

But page caching is explicitly setup in a way that you have to enter a specific cache configuration for it. It won't ever use the "global" cache configuration, on that basis that if you are doing things like caching sessions, page caching is very likely to push out most other content. (You could of course explicitly enter the same configuration if you wanted to, though we're not expecting that.)

In the end of this hys not same like previously hys, exspecially for this word

So this mean this last hys? 😙 perhaps no, because i want see more, like portal and featured thread feature 🙏😁
I think you're looking too far into it haha, there'll probably be another thread lobbed up on Thursday.

Last edited:
Oh and I forgot to add you are bad people for implementing guest page caching as you're LIREALLY taking money out of my mouth by reducing the amount of reasons I would have for porting DragonByte Optimise to XF2

😛

Fillip

When deleting, for example a thread or a resource, will there be an option to provide a deletion reason, like there is for rejecting a user? This is one flaw of the current system, as you have to navigate to the resource and delete from there, rather than directly from the approval queue, if you want to provide a deletion reason.

That was the cache "context" mention, though it actually goes further than that as it applies everywhere now. There was going to be more explanation in a future HYS.
I realized that on re-reading. Nice to hear that there is more per-context cache setup going forward.

But page caching is explicitly setup in a way that you have to enter a specific cache configuration for it. It won't ever use the "global" cache configuration, on that basis that if you are doing things like caching sessions, page caching is very likely to push out most other content. (You could of course explicitly enter the same configuration if you wanted to, though we're not expecting that.)
Sounds good!

I've got session cache and general cache separate out at the moment, and it works quite well.

Widget display conditions

If you have ever had to display a widget, but only conditionally based on user group or some other criteria, then you'll know that this isn't exactly straightforward. The current approach actually requires you to create the desired widget without assigning it to a position, and then create a HTML widget to add your conditions manually and call the widget you want.

One of the things many people have told us they like from our Navigation feature is the ability to use template syntax-like conditions so it made a lot of sense to bring that feature to widgets too.

If you have a widget that you only want to display to a specific user group then it's as simple as adding something like this to the new "Display conditions" field:

View attachment 186076

My favorite :) along with the spam option on approval queue. We moderate all first posts so I’ll have my queue filled with spam posts only to have to click on every username to clean it.

Keep up the great work XF team!

Great enhancements, but there seems to be one thing missing: It does not display why content is in the moderation queue in the first place. We only moderate content if it is triggered by something.
In many cases it is a complete mystery why content is moderated. We struggle to find out what triggered moderation every day of the year.

Please add a simple moderation source/cause/reason:
'Cause: Spam Keywords'
'Cause: Moderated Usergroup'.

At least then the moderator knows what they are looking at/for.
On a busy board you need to add a lot of spam & abuse addons, which send a post to moderation. Here are some reasons why a post or profile can land in moderation:
  • Spam keywords / phrases
  • Links
  • Spam blacklist / addons
  • Askimet
  • User is in 'moderated' usergroup.
  • Too many reports
  • Too many negative ratings
  • Suspect posting pattern / flooding
  • Multiple accounts
  • Name change request
Obviously some of the above is triggered by addons.

Top Bottom