Apple TV Set: Any thoughts ?

Cable companies will be hugely profitable going forward.
They control the pipes. That's about the best place to be.
They'll just jack up their prices to use their pipes if their profits look weak, regardless of the reason.
Wrong.
Please. I like you. Don't invest in cable TV companies!
Invest in apple, google, intel, cisco, etc........
The bandwidth game has been a BIG loss for most involved. Much of the excess infrastructure we are now blessed with is a result of many companies going broke......Enron, Qwest, MCI and probably many others......
Their CEOs are in jail...or, in the case of Ken Lay of Enron, expired due to the stress.
Don't do it. Just be glad for all this fiber paid for by everyone else.....

I have an old AppleTV that's connected to my TV and it's nice to have. I wouldn't mind getting the upgrade though since it's smaller and allows netflix.

Apple Rumor:

But speculation about Apple's next attempt to penetrate the lucrative television market has also been rampant, particularly since a biography of Steve Jobs revealed that the late Apple co-founder believed the company had finally "cracked" the secret of television.
Citing "[r]eliable sources familiar with Apple's upcoming product release," 9to5Mac reported that the company will announce a new Apple TV that's internally code named J33 at the same March 7 event where it will unveil its next-gen tablet.
Previous rumors have pointed to the new Apple TV being full-blown television set, unlike the set-top boxes Apple currently sells under the Apple TV brand. The "J33" product supposedly sports a variation of Apple's dual-core, ARM-based A5 processor that can stream 1080p video, according to the tech blog.
There's been plenty more speculation about Apple's next TV product. One of the most pervasive rumors—made all the more interesting in light of 9to5Mac's reporting—is that the iPad and possibly other iOS-based devices will function as remote controls for the TV set.

The Apple TV picture started coming into focus over the past few weeks with several reports about potential retail and carrier partners gearing up for the launch of a next-generation HD television set that runs iOS, incorporates the Siri digital voice assistant, and could retail for about $1,500 in the United States.

>>>>>> Interesting.

The Verge reported in early February that Best Buy sent out a customer survey that includes a question about an "all-new 42-inch Apple HDTV" priced at $1,499 that sports a 1080p LED flat panel display, works with iPhones and iPads functioning as remote controls, and connects to Apple's iCloud, iTunes, and App Store marketplaces.

That means that users would be able to control the next-gen Apple TV via voice, according to the newspaper—and also, intriguingly, through hand gestures, which indicates that Apple could be building new Kinect-type technology for the television set.

>>>>>>> Kinect = Win / Voice Control = Fail.

More at:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400934,00.asp

I was browing Roku and Boxee earlier .. I am not sure I want an Apple TV anymore ..
Apple TV has iTunes and airplay

Boxee and Roku seem to have a lot more features

iMAC + Apple TV + DirecTV Nomad.

Your DirecTV receiver/DVR records anything you want. Nomad provides the gateway for an iMac shell scripts to move all DVR contents hourly to iCloud. Watch anything from anywhere.

Want to go further? Combine iCloud with your own private 4TB Bonjour server. Move data locally within your own network and still view anywhere at any time.

iMAC + Apple TV + DirecTV Nomad.

Your DirecTV receiver/DVR records anything you want. Nomad provides the gateway for an iMac shell scripts to move all DVR contents hourly to iCloud. Watch anything from anywhere.

Want to go further? Combine iCloud with your own private 4TB Bonjour server. Move data locally within your own network and still view anywhere at any time.
Does this method also allow for the cataloging of the recordings as well as downloading of the channel guide information to be attributed to the recording so that it can be called back in a frontend interface running on a HTPC? This is really what I am interested in.

Also I am wondering if apple tv can deal with anything like a live video signal over a hdmi 1.3 connection? I couldn't consider it as a replacement otherwise. Interested to know though...I am not really in the loop with apple products (I also don't have DirectTV but can use a cable card and whatever comparable dvr supports that scripting if it is available.)

I was browing Roku and Boxee earlier .. I am not sure I want an Apple TV anymore ..

Instead of your TV being made by Sony or Samsung or Panasonic or Visio or TV maker XYZ.
It will have the Apple logo on it.
This thread isn't about Apple TV.
It's about ... what has been how called iTV.

I called it "Apple TV SET".
As it didn't have a real name.

Well, it's not "their" content to begin with... They license it from each network (FOX, CBS, NBC, etc.). They pay each network to be able to carry their channels.

Some of these networks and cable providers are owned by the same parent company. So, they do in fact own both the infrastructure and content in some cases.

Apple's success in taking over distribution in music is exactly why they'll continue to have such a hard time with the cable networks and the tv/film industry in general. Content owners learned their lesson, and that's why you see services such as Hulu, a joint venture between some of those content owners. They know the current model is on its way out and IP is the future, and want to be the distributor themselves. They won't capitulate to Apple like the music industry did. It's also why you see content providers withdrawing from NetFlix. I'm not saying that's good business, but that's why Apple TV will not revolutionize the industry any time soon and why Apple continues to have a hard time securing the deals it needs.

You also have to recognize that the infrastructure such services rely on is owned and maintained by the cable companies. Without their cooperation, you're again fighting an uphill battle, unless someone wants to spend billions building out their own infrastructure.

Apple's television set is predicted to have Siri and iTunes integration, and could possible have a motion controlled games console built in.

"Following our supply chain checks, we have increased confidence Apple will launch a 50-plus inch LCD-TV," said Walkley, who believes that the new product will arrive before the end of the year.

[source]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/27/apple-epix-itv_n_1460239.html?ref=technology
sweet. a tv that would likely only play itunes-purchased mp4's and nothing else. at the very best it sounds like drm hell.

sweet. a tv that would likely only play itunes-purchased mp4's and nothing else. at the very best it sounds like drm hell.
That would be their Apple TV line, which has only been remotely successful.
I would think they've got something different in mind here, as there would be no point in buying an apple tv 'set' if that's all you could do

Not a user of Apple products because they are too much costly here.
What people often forget is these products keep their value much better than most brands. I bought a cinema screen 24" for €800 and sold it almost 3 years later to someone for €600. That's a great monitor for less than 70€/year.

I recently bought a second hand iMac 24" for 735€ and I've been using it for three months. I plan to sell it when the new Mac Mini comes out, but I already got offers for the iMac up to 800€ (advertised it for 900€ just to see what I could get). Very easy to sell and you get good money for second hand.

About the Apple TV rumors, Apple never releases any information on future products so this is all made up / speculation basically. Just some info for people who think otherwise.

I now have an old Roku and an old AppleTV, picked them both up for next to nothing.
Very cool gadget to have, I don't pay for cable so this is how I see television and over the air.

This is something they're going to have to work on, obviously... Distinguising between the ATV line and the Apple Television (if this is true)...
The OLD ATV line (which one would assume they'd discontinue after they launch the new television) shouldn't have anything to do with the new television line, other than of course it would have iTunes , etc on it.

Top Bottom