Apple TV Set: Any thoughts ?

Interesting idea !
As you say, would never get past the .gov.
It should would help keep the iOS profit gravy train going. heh.

IOS is showing it's age. They are going to HAVE to do a major rework of the interface to stay up with the current software. It's barely changed since the original iPhone came out. Guess it's OK if you want a smart phone that is where the feature phones are now. They are as restricted as the first "smart" phones that Alltel carried (Motorola Q ring a bell). Locked down on the ability to change anything about the user interface.

They are going to HAVE to do a major rework of the interface to stay up with the current software.
The interface? No. The hardware? Absolutely. Some of the apps? Without a doubt. This is why they dropped Google Maps and got into bed with TomTom. Their customers wanted something that Google failed to provide.
Honestly, I don't see a major rework of the interface as necessary though. It works, it's (somewhat) modern, yet simple enough that their customers can use it (even 5 year olds ;)). They just need to get the hardware back up to spec.
I've been using iPhones exclusively for the past 4 years now (switched from win mobile), can't say I'll ever go to anything else. Win mobile any more is a joke, Android, I will never trust, it looks pretty but I've never seen anything so buggy in my life. iOS is where it is, at least for now.

The interface? No. The hardware? Absolutely. Some of the apps? Without a doubt. This is why they dropped Google Maps and got into bed with TomTom. Their customers wanted something that Google failed to provide.

Yes, the user interface. No widgets, no ability to have an active background, being limited to 4 icons in the dock. And on the maps, it wasn't all Google. Apple did not like the fact that Google wanted the same ad revenue capability coming to it that it has in Android. They (Apple) wanted a large chunk of the pie and control and couldn't get it.
Yes, you can get some of these things if you JB your iPhone - but the 5 has no untethered JB as of yet - and Apple lives to lock their phones down.
Total control freaks are that way sometimes.

Honestly, I don't see a major rework of the interface as necessary though. It works, it's (somewhat) modern, yet simple enough that their customers can use it (even 5 year olds ;)). They just need to get the hardware back up to spec.
I've been using iPhones exclusively for the past 4 years now (switched from win mobile), can't say I'll ever go to anything else. Win mobile any more is a joke, Android, I will never trust, it looks pretty but I've never seen anything so buggy in my life. iOS is where it is, at least for now.
That's the problem with it.. it's so easy a caveman can use it! :D You have a choice - locked down and unable to customize it or more like Android on the abilities (like true multi-tasking, live wallpapers, widgets, etc.). I speak from both sides (had a 4, have a 5, have an S3, have a RAZR MAXX, have a MAXX HD, have a Thunderbolt, have a Droid X, had the original Droid - what can I say, I'm a phone whore!). Power user wise, Android is leagues above IOS. Simplicity wise IOS is leagues above Android. As for "buggy", funny I haven't had near the problems with my Android devices as I've had out of the 4 and the 5. iPhone 4 poor cell signal - your holding it wrong, here is a free bumper (unless you are on Verizon). Lose your wifi signal on the 5 - good luck on it switching over to cellular data in a timely manner. At least my current Android's will fluidly do so. Want to do voice and data at the same time on Verizon (my carrier) on the iPhone 5? Oh, that's right it won't do it - only the Android phones will. :rolleyes:
The interface is NOWHERE near modern - staid (the adj. meaning Fixed; permanent) is the word I would use.
Have tested both an LG and Nokia Windows phone - no thanks. About the only thing going for it was it's interface with Windows Live - but I have both an IOS and Android application that does the same thing (XBox SmartGlass)

im rather tired of my iphone being so restricted and locked down. seeing as an ios6-4s jailbreak is going to happen pretty much never, and future breaks will take even longer... im going android with my next phone.

No widgets
Widgets are not necessary. It's a phone. You want widgets, get a real device. You want to know what's killing Android phones? Constant updates from crap like this
no ability to have an active background
Again, it's a phone, an 'active background' isn't exactly necessary. It might be nice , but it certainly isn't required to make the phone work.
being limited to 4 icons in the dock.
Use folders. I store around 30+ icons just fine with folders. If they changed that, they'd have to make the phone wider
And on the maps, it wasn't all Google.
You go ahead and believe that if you want. It was all Google, however, Apple has said it multiple times. Google didn't want to update their apps functionality to something that was needed. Don't blame Apple for Google's refusal to do their job

Widgets are not necessary. It's a phone. You want widgets, get a real device. You want to know what's killing Android phones? Constant updates from crap like this

Again, it's a phone, an 'active background' isn't exactly necessary. It might be nice , but it certainly isn't required to make the phone work.

Then why not use a feature phone... that's a phone and use a REAL device (like a tablet) for your email, your internet, etc. That's the point - you should have the OPTION of them. Consumers decide what is necessary - and apparently enough are tired of the staid IOS platform that the grumble is starting to become audible.

Use folders. I store around 30+ icons just fine with folders. If they changed that, they'd have to make the phone wider

Folders are an additional step to have to do - ease of use would indicate that scrolling the dock right or left for one or two swipes (the same way you switch between screens) would give you 8 - 12 spots for favorites. And why would they have to make the phone wider? 4 already fit in the dock now - 4 would fit in the dock with scrolling. You just have 4 at a time visible.

You go ahead and believe that if you want. It was all Google, however, Apple has said it multiple times. Google didn't want to update their apps functionality to something that was needed. Don't blame Apple for Google's refusal to do their job

Apple also said that their new maps app was the best ever - we all know how that turned out, with Cook eating crow and issuing an apology, Forrestal lost his job. The exact Apple quote was:
"Designed by Apple from the ground up, Maps gives you turn-by-turn spoken directions, interactive 3D views, and the stunning Flyover feature. All of which may just make this app the most beautiful, powerful mapping service ever."
Also the same way that Apple says that turn by turn won't work on an iPhone 4, whereas it works just fine with other Apps and even the new Google Maps? Or the way that they said Siri won't work on an iPhone 4?

Check out ModMyI sometimes - they have some useful information there. There was fault on BOTH sides. Apple still had a year of licensing on the maps application.
Apple wanted the app to their specs and the internet search targeted info that maps has , Google said it would to THEIR specs and use their search with the related benefits to Google. Two headstrong children in the playground. Apple decided to make their own sandpit to play in - and it resulted in the fiasco that is now on their IOS platform. Guess Google was also the reason that they removed YouTube from IOS 6 also?
The REAL problem with it being integrated like it was is that you are then dependent upon Apple to update their IOS to get an app update out. I'm actually happy that they now have the Maps and YouTube as optional apps because they can be updated more frequently.

Then why not use a feature phone... that's a phone and use a REAL device (like a tablet) for your email, your internet, etc. That's the point - you should have the OPTION of them. Consumers decide what is necessary - and apparently enough are tired of the staid IOS platform that the grumble is starting to become audible.
People have been whining about iOS for years, the same, boring, sniveling complainers, with the same, pathetic complaints. Hardly 'audible' at all.
Again, this is exactly the reason that memory issues come up with pretty much EVERY droid device out there. Too much background garbage going on.

Folders are an additional step to have to do
as opposed to
scrolling the dock right or left for one or two swipes
? That's just another additional 'step' (and in some cases more)

Google said it would to THEIR specs.
They refused to update it for years. You can't blame Apple for Google refusing to provide TBT. Funny, you whine about it not being up to date, but then defend Google's decision to refuse to update their software.

People have been whining about iOS for years, the same, boring, sniveling complainers, with the same, pathetic complaints. Hardly 'audible' at all.
Again, this is exactly the reason that memory issues come up with pretty much EVERY droid device out there. Too much background garbage going on.
As opposed to no true multi-tasking, but claiming to have multi-tasking that Apple currently uses.
And it's audible enough that folks have gotten tired of the current stuff and ARE migrating from IOS to Android. Which has more memory - the S3 or the iPhone 5/4s/4? Or the other top tier Android phones. Agreed the cheaper hardware has problems when pushed hard - but would you expect a Ford Pinto to perform the same as a 911 Carrera?
Don't get me wrong - it's an OK phone, but not great - and I'm far from an Fandroid or a Apple fanboi.
As for memory issues - funny, haven't seen any and I do widgets, live wallpapers, several weather applications running in background at once along with some other apps.

as opposed to

? That's just another additional 'step' (and in some cases more)
As opposed to swipe left, click or swipe right click it's open up a folder, scroll through the folder to find it and then click. That is the point of using the dock for a shortcut for that application. Guess it's what you get used to - like Windows vs. Mac OS/X vs. Linux.

They refused to update it for years. You can't blame Apple for Google refusing to provide TBT. Funny, you whine about it not being up to date, but then defend Google's decision to refuse to update their software.
Think that would have anything to do with the fact that Apple still states that the iPhone 4 cannot do TBT navigation with even their current maps? Forced obsolescence to get you to upgrade to their latest greatest by saying it can't be done.

Enough tho' with the pissing match:cool: between which is the side of right and wrong as far as Apple and Google go. Their BOTH against the average consumer.:mad:

Think that would have anything to do with the fact that Apple still states that the iPhone 4 cannot do TBT navigation with even their current maps? Forced obsolescence to get you to upgrade to their latest greatest by saying it can't be done.
Did the 4 run maps? Yes. Maps has been an integral part of the system since day 1.
Can the 4 run TBT with google's map program now? 10:1, yes, though I haven't heard anything about it being done (I don't know anyone with a 4, right now)
This isn't "forced obsolescence to get you to upgrade", this is "that hardware is 3 years old, we can't do everything on it". Think about it. The 4 was released in June 2010. So many changes have been made in their devices, memory wise, chip wise, graphics wise, they really couldn't be expected to let their own TBT system go on this.

You want to talk 'forced obsolescence', look at Android's distribution method. At least with iOS, my nieces can get updated to iOS 6 without begging someone for it. No plan necessary, just connect, update the 3GS and they're good to go. With (most) Android devices, you have to contact the provider, beg them to give you an update, and hope it works. There's no hope with Apple, it works. Yeah, they have issues with r1, historically, which is why you wait until the first update when they're all cleared up, but that's it. Update, and it works. No obsolescence there at all.

Would you expect a laptop you bought three years ago to handle the 'top of the line' graphics enhancing games today? No, of course not. Or, if you would, you're being unrealistic. The same applies here, really. It's not 'forced' obsolescence, it's just phasing products out because the hardware has limited capabilities by today's standards

Apple.iTV.ring.remote.control.2013.webp

The iTV will boast a 60-inch screen and cost up to $2,500, Brian White, at Topeka Capital Markets, said in a research note.
Apple’s new gadget will come with a tablet the same size as an iPad. Users will be able to send videos from the iTV to the tablet to continue watching a programme as they move around the house.
The concept is similar to the way in which satellite TV companies are starting to let their set-top boxes send videos to iPads and other tablets.
The iTV’s most interesting feature, however, is the “iRing”. The device will allow viewers to control the screen simply by pointing.
Mr White says his research note is based on meetings with unnamed Chinese and Taiwanese companies that supply Apple with components.

Apple doesn’t comment on products prior to launch events, but late founder Steve Jobs said he wanted to revolutionize the television in the same way his company has done with MP3 players and mobile phones.
Apple already sells a small box that connects to a TV to stream movies and programmes from iTunes.
Apple shares rose $1.11, or 0.26pc, to $430.9 in afternoon trading on Wednesday.

Looks like iTV (at TV made by Apple) is coming true.
I was pretty sure it was going to happen.

Apple shares rose $1.11, or 0.26pc, to $430.9 in afternoon trading on Today. I'd say Apple is a [BUY] today.

I predict iTV will be a HUGE success.
Just because I predicted the Wii U would be a huge fail doesn't mean I just predict losers !

I'll see what I can learn about the iRing (the device that will control the iTV).

The integrated ecosystem with Tablets, TVs, phones, insert other devices here will be huge. As I said before: iTunes + TV = crazy win.

He added that it would include an iRing, a small device placed on the finger that serves as a navigational pointer, taking over some of the functionality of a traditional remote control.
Wow ... it's a RING ! Not sure what to make of that.

I'm not convinced about the iRing as what apple is planning.

... Interesting nevertheless !

View attachment 43552

Looks like iTV (at TV made by Apple) is coming true.
I was pretty sure it was going to happen.

Apple shares rose $1.11, or 0.26pc, to $430.9 in afternoon trading on Today. I'd say Apple is a [BUY] today.
Very possible we could have seen the bottom, I didn't see it as a buy at or above $450 and proven right but there seems to be some support now at the 420-430 level. Add to that a strong overall stock market and a new product launch could be very supportive for this stock. Not a buyer though.

Not sure about a bottom.
My [BUY] is based on iTV (which Apple hasn't even confirmed they are working on). (I think they should be).
I don't know if Apple's pressure from Samsung et al. is fully priced into the stock.
Clearly the Galaxy X3 and X4 are a huge success.

The conplaints about the GUI miss the obvious that only Mac users appreciate. Its the same as the MacOS desktop. iOS and MacOS will converge.

Of course they could never do it because the government wouldn't allow it, but they have almost enough cash to just buy Google. Now imagine if they COULD do that, and just killed Android. The crazy thing about it would be that at Google's current market cap of $243B, it would probably be a sound investment just to get rid of Android and not even care that the company they bought also makes $50B/year. :)

Not just government, but it's pretty much impossible for an outside party to buy a controlling stake. Larry and Sergey have about 10x the voting power of other shareholders. They'd have to not only deal with a potential antitrust case, but appeal (publicly) to Google staff -- the two companies' cultures are very different.

That's just not true. Features like turn-by-turn navigation were always on the table. It's not like Google was saying no, you can't ever have that. The two companies just never saw eye-to-eye on some licensing issues. There's definite benefits to Apple providing its own Maps app, and Google being able to provide its own app. The reverse is also true.

Full disclaimer, shall I be accused of being bias, I actually work for Google. However, I think the above is a pretty objective take on the whole matter.

^ Licensing issues. If Google was requesting license fees from Apple along the same lines as what they are trying to extort from MS and Apple in other cases, then I could see why Apple would refuse.

Making a sky-high offer that no company would accept does not give one the right to say "we offered a deal but they refused." Nor should it give you the right to seek injunctions by calling the other party an "unwilling licensee."

Top Bottom