Apple TV Set: Any thoughts ?

Seems like Nintendo is trying to make TV more social.
nintendo-wiiu-tvii-png.34647

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/wii-u.17253/page-3#post-418145
Wonder what Apple's iTV will attempt ?

In a recent interview with NBC news, CEO Tim Cook revealed that Apple will devote more attention to the Apple TV or similar equipment used in the living room. When answering a question that the product line will be the next target of Apple, Cook said, "When I go into the living room and turned on the TV, I feel like I'm going back 20 to 30 years ago". Perhaps the implications of this is that Apple CEO will make a device that helps the user's living room to become more modern. However, Cook did not disclose more information about the product .

Previously, Tim Cook said that Apple TV launch five years ago, it is only considered as a "hobby" only. But then, in a shareholders' meeting earlier this year, Cook said Apple needed "something more" interesting to push the Apple TV to become the company's popular device.

Have you ever known an apple device not to be locked down?

Or work correctly? I got one of the new Mac Mini's (2012 version) when it came out... and am having tons of video problems (as are a LOT of other people). It's due to the wonderful Intel HD4000 chipset. Black screens at various times and sometimes it will come back with static on monitor. This is using HDMI. I've got mine boxed up waiting on a shipping label to ship it back - only to probably get another one with the same exact problem. The quality control of Apple is getting sloppy.

Or work correctly? I got one of the new Mac Mini's (2012 version) when it came out... and am having tons of video problems (as are a LOT of other people). It's due to the wonderful Intel HD4000 chipset. Black screens at various times and sometimes it will come back with static on monitor. This is using HDMI. I've got mine boxed up waiting on a shipping label to ship it back - only to probably get another one with the same exact problem. The quality control of Apple is getting sloppy.

I usually go to the Apple Store and make them suffer :P

AppleTV16x9gradient[1].webp

http://mashable.com/2012/12/12/5-things-apple-tv-needs/
http://mashable.com/2012/12/12/apple-testing-tv-set-designs/

Apple is currently testing several TV set designs, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing unnamed sources from Apple's supply chain.

The company is reportedly working with China's Hon Hai (better known as Foxconn) and Japan's Sharp on the design of the new television.

This doesn't mean we'll see an Apple TV set very soon, though, as these prototypes are still far from hitting the market.

I usually go to the Apple Store and make them suffer :p

:p Nearest one to me is over 2 hours one way. I shipped mine in and 3 days later got the replacement. Between it and the update that they apparently put out so far (knock on wood) it's bene working fine. One thing I noticed is now I have several different monitor profiles where before I only had one.

Apple needs to release the iTV to help their stock price !​
iTunes for Video is the growth market !​

Apple misses iPhone forecasts; shares skid 11%

SAN FRANCISCO — Apple missed analysts' iPhone sales forecasts in its key holiday shopping period, pummeling shares lower in after-hours trading.

Shares of Apple nose-dived $54.98, or 11%, to $459.03 in trading after the close of markets, raising new concerns.

Shares of Apple have now shaved off 35% from a 52-week high of $705.07.

[More]

Apple needs to make some big changes. The flaw in their business model is beginning to show itself, again (1980s).

Buy Buy Buy (seriously).......
Absolutely.
Apple needs to make some big changes. The flaw in their business model is beginning to show itself, again (1980s).
Naaaah, it's fine. Apple will go back up when they bring in new products. Just because it didn't sell as much as was expected isn't any reason to be concerned. They STILL sold 40+ million phones in the last quarter. This, for anyone else would be phenomenal. They will bounce back, they always do.

More flaws in the reporters and the investors......

Everything is portrayed as a horse race - when it is not! I would never expect Apple...or one company...to have a majority of USA or world-wide smartphone sales. The trick, as we saw in the PC space, is actually making some profit on what you sell.

Basically, most mobile phones from this point on will be smart phones. The market is about 2 BILLION phones per year (looking a year forward). If even one billion are smartphones and apple sees 25 or 30% of that, that's 200-300 million phone sales per year! Heck, they just sold 48 MILLION in one quarter.

No, they won't be supply the Indian or Chinese lower-middle class or the African mine worker. But they are skimming most of the cream.

They also have close to 140 BILLION in cash. This is unheard of.

I think this is a company that is very measured about they way they do things and is not going to react to what every reporter, pundit or investor tells them to do. They will probably buy back shares while it is cheap (that's what some of that cash is for) and perhaps increase the dividend.

But selling now at 10X or less future earnings? That's a joke. Even very low valuations would put it worth 50% or more than the current price - and $1,000 a share is certainly not vastly overvalued in the coming 2 years.

Buy Buy Buy (seriously).......
Absolutely.
I'm not so sure, told people to sell at $700 because I knew this would happen. Most wouldn't listen and were talking about $1000 and more back then, and how cheap it still was. It's a typical short term bubble created by hedge funds. A week ago I thought it could be a good buy at around $450 but since news got even worse I personally wouldn't even touch it above $400. It just doesn't look good with all the competition breathing down their neck. They need innovation again to stay ahead of competition. That's the big question right now. And prices, will they have to come down to stay competitive? Add to the bad news that stocks in general are kinda overbought and relatively high. The good times may be over for Apple, at least until they can surprise the market with some positive news again. They do have plenty of cash though, that's a big plus.

Watch this if you're thinking about buying now:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Of course they could never do it because the government wouldn't allow it, but they have almost enough cash to just buy Google. Now imagine if they COULD do that, and just killed Android. The crazy thing about it would be that at Google's current market cap of $243B, it would probably be a sound investment just to get rid of Android and not even care that the company they bought also makes $50B/year. :)

Let's do the math... there's about 1.5M Android phones activated per day... Say even 1/3 of those started getting iPhones because they couldn't get Android phones anymore... Apple makes roughly $550 profit per iPhone sold. So 1/3 of android activations instead being iPhone activations means Apple is making about $275M extra profit per day, which is an extra $101B profit per year... and you just covered the cost of Google in about 2.4 years by "converting" only 1/3 of Android activations to iPhone by removing Android from the market.

Of course they could never do it because the government wouldn't allow it, but they have almost enough cash to just buy Google. Now imagine if they COULD do that, and just killed Android. The crazy thing about it would be that at Google's current market cap of $243B, it would probably be a sound investment just to get rid of Android and not even care that the company they bought also makes $50B/year. :)
Interesting idea !
As you say, would never get past the .gov.
It should would help keep the iOS profit gravy train going. heh.

Top Bottom