Anyone planning on getting an iPhone 4S? (was iPhone 5)

And the knowledge isn't uncommon, as the apps in question tend to get a lot of press for making Android devices run faster, smoother and/or longer lasting batteries. Also a lot of them offer automation (eg switching to WiFi when in distance of a certain network, or switching features off at certain times).
Maybe I should get to know my Droid X better (after one year).

I am "thinking" about giving up my iPhone for a phone that doesn't "require" a data plan.
It sucks that I have to have separate data plans for my iPhone and my iPad. It occured to me a couple of days ago........
Since my iPad goes with me everywhere, what do I really need my iPhone for now, other than texting?
I don't need it for browsing, or getting email. I do all that with the iPad.
So I may just go back to a regular flip-camera-phone.

Just taking in all of the rumors and from where they're sourced, here's what I believe is going to happen.

No iPhone 5. This is going to be the iPhone 4S.

Dual-core A5, 1GB internal memory, better power management, upgraded camera, improved antenna. No 4G network support, no larger screen.

IMHO, a PR nightmare for Apple.

Trying to stay on top of the rumors. From what I've been able to piece together, the original plan was to unveil several new iPhones this fall. One was an iPhone nano, an inexpensive model for emerging markets targeting the <$100 price point. The second is an iPhone 4S, which I definitely think is going to happen. The third, may or may not be an iPhone 5. The iPhone 5, when it is eventually released, will be thinner and wider than the iPhone 4 with an edge to edge, wider screen.

The iPhone 4S will be a dual core A5 with 512 MB of RAM. This is where the question of an iPhone 5 comes in. If it is released, it will be a dual core 1 Ghz A5 with 1GB of RAM, which will make it slightly slower than the Galaxy II. It is possible that Apple is delaying the iPhone 5 so that they can deliver it with the quad-core A6 processor.

I don't know what I believe at this point, to be honest. Everything I've read says TSMC won't be able to mass produce the chips for a product delivery any sooner than June 2012. If that's the case, this year should be the iPhone 5 and next year the iPhone 6, with the iPhone 6 launching with the iPad 3.

But then why have an iPhone 4S? The only reason I can think of is if the 4S only supports 3G and the iPhone 5 is 4G LTE compatible. I think the only people who are going to be happy after Apple's 4 Oct announcement is anyone who buys the Galaxy II - but only for the next 365 days.

Apple is falling behind on apps, because apple is overly strict on them. Try to find apps for slightly controversial things. Apple rejects that. Many forums cant get their app approved because of trivial reasons, like an avatar that was too sexy. (I thought apple was supposed to be sexy?)
Then there is the issue of apple software complete screwing windows up and adding a bunch of crapware on top of it. I've set up another pc just to update the iphone & ipod software.

With the latest samsung devices Android does everything iphone does and without the issues. I like my galaxy s2 much better than my iphone 4. My ipod touch is now also catching dust.

With the latest samsung devices Android does everything iphone does and without the issues. I like my galaxy s2 much better than my iphone 4. My ipod touch is now also catching dust.

My only concern is:
http://www.cnet.com.au/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-339309232.htm
We don't often give battery life its own subheading in our mobile reviews, but it seems pertinent to do so with the GS2. Our review until now has been an outright love-fest, in line with our experience with the handset, though it's not a clean sheet for Samsung this time around. The battery life on the GS2 is a problem, especially for heavy users, and though this is true for most smartphones, the GS2 does appear to drain the juice faster than comparative handsets, sometimes up to twice as fast.
Using an hour of web browsing as our benchmark, the GS2 powered through 20 per cent or more of its available charge in this time frame, while other Androids might use 10 or 15 per cent of charge performing the same task. The end result is a phone you'll either charge during the day or rush home to a power point each evening. Adjusting the screen brightness to one of its lower settings will help, as will switching your connectivity off when it's not being used, but this still doesn't make a big enough difference to mitigate the battery drain for when you are using the phone. To rub salt in the wound, we found it took at least three hours to recharge the phone back to 100 per cent
We also found the handset would get extremely hot during processor-intensive use, like gaming, and especially if we continued to use the phone while it charged. This isn't an uncommon occurrence for smartphones, but it was hot enough and often enough to become irritating during our tests.
Information we've gathered from online forums suggest that the poor battery life could be a symptom of the way Android deals with dual-core processors in version 2.3.3, and that the most recent 2.3.4 firmware fixes the issue. Samsung has committed to releasing a 2.3.4 update for GS2 handsets, so don't be surprised if we bump up the score of this review if it makes a significant difference.

I've been thinking about getting a 5 when it comes out, but might end up waiting for my 3gs to die. The things I use the most on my iphone are safari, mail, and the camera. It would be nice if the GPS worked when you are out of the cell area, as i snowboard alot in the backcountry and can't map any of my locations. It would also be nice if you could get a USB/SDHC reader in there somehow so I can upload photos without pulling out a laptop.

Yes, that may be an issue for some people. However, there are solutions. Start by installing Juicedefender and you will see a big increase of battery time. Add a docking station or a charger to also load it at your work and use the USB charger for in your car, if your car allows it. Or else for charging from other devices. The battery life is not optimal, but I do not have issues with it, since I can charge it basically everywhere I go.

It appears the iPhone 5 screen size is going to be somewhere between 4.3 and 4.6 inches, depending on how it is framed. That explains the slightly wider and longer casing.

There is also confirmation on the 8 Megapixel camera. An Apple engineer publicly posted a number of pictures online. After discovery, he album was immediately made private. The EXIF data shows:
  • GPS data for Apple HQ, 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA
  • 3264×2448 pixel resolution (8 megapixels)
  • 4.3mm f/2.4 lens

I bought an iPhone 3GS back in July 2009 and it was brilliant, best phone I've ever had. I skipped the 4 hoping to get the 5 in July 2011 but it's almost October and there's still no sign of it.

My 3GS takes ages loading apps and even the general settings load slowly. The battery life doesn't last for more than a few hours unless I switch off the 3GS/Wifi which makes having an iPhone pointless.

I'm very tempted to get myself a Samsung S2. If Apple try and fob us off with a cheap 4S instead of a proper new phone then I'll be moving over to Android. Which is a shame as I bought a Macbook and iPad a few months ago.

I bought an iPhone 3GS back in July 2009 and it was brilliant, best phone I've ever had. I skipped the 4 hoping to get the 5 in July 2011 but it's almost October and there's still no sign of it.

My 3GS takes ages loading apps and even the general settings load slowly. The battery life doesn't last for more than a few hours unless I switch off the 3GS/Wifi which makes having an iPhone pointless.

I'm very tempted to get myself a Samsung S2. If Apple try and fob us off with a cheap 4S instead of a proper new phone then I'll be moving over to Android. Which is a shame as I bought a Macbook and iPad a few months ago.
The 4S would still have updated hardware, so there wouldn't be anything really wrong with it.

Your best bet is to try out using the iPhone 4 (Though it is going to be different from real use) and then try a Samsung Galasxy S II. This way if you do not like the way Android runs, or the phone in general, you won't be stuck with it on contract.

The 4S would still have updated hardware, so there wouldn't be anything really wrong with it.

What I meant was that (for the price) it wouldn't present a significant enough leap to justify spending £5-600. Especially when you can pick up an arguably superior phone like the S2 for two-thirds of that price

I'd still have the 3GS and the 4S wouldnt be that much different, just a bit faster whereas the s2 + 3GS would be a better option

Top Bottom