Anyone planning on getting an iPhone 4S? (was iPhone 5)

Yes - I water damaged my iPhone 4 yesterday :/

Congratulations?

I remember when I had my 3gs and the amount of times I "accidentally" dropped it the thing would just not break. I remember once leaving it out in the garden and remembered after it rained I ran out to retrieve it and to my amazement the thing was still working great. I eventually gave it away, one of the best decisions I ever made. Not sure how robust the iphone4 is but judging by your comment I'm assuming not very?

title said:
Anyone planning on getting an iPhone 5?

If my circle of friends ever decrease I'll more than certainly look into purchasing an iphone5 or <insert model reflecting time line>.

I was going to get the Android Nexus S last week, until i´ve heard about the Nexus Ice Cream coming in October... so, i´ll have to wait a couple of weeks.... :mad:

Congratulations?

I remember when I had my 3gs and the amount of times I "accidentally" dropped it the thing would just not break. I remember once leaving it out in the garden and remembered after it rained I ran out to retrieve it and to my amazement the thing was still working great. I eventually gave it away, one of the best decisions I ever made. Not sure how robust the iphone4 is but judging by your comment I'm assuming not very?

If my circle of friends ever decrease I'll more than certainly look into purchasing an iphone5 or <insert model reflecting time line>.

Well, I expected it to be a bit more robust - there are stories of the iPhone sinking to the bottom of an ocean and it still being found and in working order. Mine turned off, and I could hear it short circuit.

MobileMe + DocsToGo. No problem. I do it all the time.
I was just about to post: http://gigaom.com/apple/iphone-doc-editing-documents-to-go-vs-quickoffice-pro/

That took me all of 3 seconds to search for an app, 'doc edit iphone' and up popped the answer. That was reallyyyyyyy difficult stuff.

I don't use my iPhone for anything media based actually... I don't use the iPod aspect, or any other media aspect... I use it purely for web, reading and editing documents on the go, banking, just about everything EXCEPT media.

Again, Android is a good OS, but its just an OS that is often compared to a full product, being singular phone and OS. Put them into the correct perspective, and you see vastly different figures.

Trying to argue that iPhone or Android cannot do something is just ridiculous nowadays, as Apple set the standard for app based phones, which Android also use... features has nothing to do with the OS, it has to do with the apps, and both OS have an app for just about everything and anything, and the cost of an app is not controlled by the OS manufacturer.

Hence the API... which Apple patented, thus their lawsuit against mobile providers using Android on their phones.

Its not illegal for Google to create a program, thus its obviously illegal to distribute it IF that program has infringed a patent, which it seems, Android has the moment its put onto a phone. Apple are taking phone companies to the cleaners as a majority.... so long term, not sure whether Android will be what it is today if Apple patents hold their substance in courts around the globe with phone manufacturers distributing it.

Saying that... such arguments are also fruitless at present, until courts continue to rule and we see whether Android continues, or has to be substantially changed to continue, that no longer infringe Apples patent. Tech experts say that if that is the case, then Android will die, as its the app based API approach that everyone is in love with... coming back to... the OS has little to do with it, as its just an API for app developers to launch their own apps that do just about everything and anything possibly thought of. IOS & Android are just API's.

MobileMe + DocsToGo. No problem. I do it all the time.
Not quite. From what I recall, drag and drop is not possible. When I used Docs to Go I had to use WiFi, pair the desktop App to Docs to Go in the iPhone and then transfer the files using that method. What a total pain. And what happens if Docs to Go fails - as did on my iPhone on one trip? Guess what... you're SOL. The iPhone OS doesn't allow any other app to open up that doc that you just transferred using DTG.

Regarding MobileMe, I hate relying on anything wireless. I'm on a train or traveling in areas that don't have a mobile data connection - you're out of luck. What I hate about the iPhone is that it always assumes you're connected or that you should be.

MobileMe has been discontinued btw. It's AirDrop and iCloud now.
In other words: they wanted dropbox and dropbox said no.

I don't have most of these sync issues btw. Don't know why - just don't experience them.

Using an Android for office work = Just can't imagine that. But different flavors, blah blah I guess.

I do agree with some of the comments you mention - it's not all perfect, of course. As with everything.

That took me all of 3 seconds to search for an app, 'doc edit iphone' and up popped the answer. That was reallyyyyyyy difficult stuff.
Yeah, searching in Google was pretty easy Anthony - but have you ever tried to actually drag, drop and edit a Word file from your PC to your phone? ;) Can I edit an office document on the iPhone? Yes. How much work does it take? A LOT more than on Android...

Trying to argue that iPhone or Android cannot do something is just ridiculous nowadays, as Apple set the standard for app based phones, which Android also use... features has nothing to do with the OS, it has to do with the apps, and both OS have an app for just about everything and anything, and the cost of an app is not controlled by the OS manufacturer.
NOT TRUE AT ALL. You need to understand how each OS works, what it excels at and what it does not. If you want to distributed premium media, e.g. copy protected music, video, etc. with pizazz and style, the iPhone OS is excellent. But let's take another practical example:

How do you get your songs, media whatever off of your phone and onto your new desktop computer?

Android: Plug in the phone, drag and drop.

iPhone: Best of luck to you buddy. Go ahead and invest time in the changing ways to try to do this, which essentially comes down to defeating Apple's one way media process -- data goes into the phone but only certain items that are clearly not copy protected can go out easily. Otherwise, Apple assumes it's not permitted.

Hence the API... which Apple patented, thus their lawsuit against mobile providers using Android on their phones.
Patent law... Apple isn't quite the innovator its happy customers like to think they are. They are probably one of the greatest causes of destruction of innovation and they are brutal. Apple didn't allow any developers to create a today screen for my iPhone 3GS - why? Didn't any of you wonder why something that simple could happen on a Palm Treo in 2005 but not on your new iPhone?

http://iphone.click2creation.com/2008/09/apple-patents-today-screen-for-iphone/

Here's another one for you, in the name of better quality of life for all.

http://www.macgasm.net/2011/06/22/apple-wins-pretty-vague-touch-screen-patent/

And now we can be prepared for legal Armageddon, thanks to Apple hiring a team of lawyers larger than some countries to patent every minor creation and overmatching an overworked and undermanned USPTO.

Don't get me wrong - I was a huge Apple fan and was actually in MacWorld at one time. But they are not the company and underdog they were back in the 80s. They are now as brutal if not moreso than Microsoft ever was. When purchasing equipment, I realize that Apple isn't just about building a set of tools for my data - it's about building a system that unfortunately leaves you with a very proprietary sunk investment with no other choices but relying on Apple completely.

Not quite. From what I recall, drag and drop is not possible. When I used Docs to Go I had to use WiFi, pair the desktop App to Docs to Go in the iPhone and then transfer the files using that method. What a total pain. And what happens if Docs to Go fails - as did on my iPhone on one trip? Guess what... you're SOL. The iPhone OS doesn't allow any other app to open up that doc that you just transferred using DTG.

Regarding MobileMe, I hate relying on anything wireless. I'm on a train or traveling in areas that don't have a mobile data connection - you're out of luck. What I hate about the iPhone is that it always assumes you're connected or that you should be.
Drag and drop is more of a Windows user semantic. I don't do it on my Mac desktop, so I have no need for it on my iPhone.

All I have right now is a first-generation iPod touch and a crappy Samsung phone that came with the contract when I switched to AT&T.

I've been waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out. so I can combine the two. :cool:

I have had my iPhone 5 since its introduction. I have been very pleased with it. I use it constantly for business and pleasure. It is still perfectly functional. I see no need to upgrade regardless of the new features introduced.

I got the iPhone4 in November, so I have no reason to upgrade.
So I am waiting for Tim Cook to give me a reason to upgrade.
But I also have no problem waiting until I have my 2 years done with, and renew it - and invest in a new phone.
Ditto.
I just got the iPhone 4 about a month ago, I can't see any good reason to upgrade when it's still got that new phone smell. :D

Thats kind of like arguing that the car that can parallel park for people is better than a Dodge Charger. o_O
The analogy is more like two identical cars, one that has a very good sound system and allows for full movement of the steering wheel and the other with an amazing sound system with restricted wheel movement - only as much as Steve Jobs thinks you need to park. Apple controls everything going in and out of the iPhone via iTunes, the world's most advanced copy protection mechanism for media transfer and distribution. Android doesn't -- the "con" being in the minds of the MPAA and big corporate content publishers. If the limits of the iPhone work for you -- someone like yourself who rarely deals with file management -- then you'll be OK. Another analogy is that 99% of the time you're going in and out of a dedicated parking space and don't need to parallel park. :)

I have had my iPhone 5 since its introduction. I have been very pleased with it. I use it constantly for business and pleasure. It is still perfectly functional. I see no need to upgrade regardless of the new features introduced.

What are the new features? I've forgotten.

Top Bottom