Anyone planning on getting an iPhone 4S? (was iPhone 5)

I'm not sure what the issue is with drag and drop from an iPhone either, as I have drag and drop from my iPhone to my system, whether it be desktop, file manager, photo program, etc... my iPhone pops up using an app, the very same world that Apple computers have now shifted to that has made phones so popular across many variating OS's... and I can drag and drop anything on my phone to my computer, completely disregarding iTunes.

I believe this is why iMac has grown so much in the past year or two as well, due to the sheer increase in iPhone + iPad, and people have discovered that using an iMac with their favourite mobile devices gives them the same functionality on a computer, that PC's just don't offer, being app based desktop computing.

I grabbed an app that does everything you said you can't do on the computer with an iPhone, that does everything you said, except it does even more. It allows me to manage my entire phone, call logs, MMS, SMS, everything, I can see on my desktop via an app when my phone is plugged in. I can even SMS from my desktop instead of using my phone whilst my phone is plugged in.

Combine Apple with Apple = outstanding. Combine Apple with Windows... less than stellar due to Windows functionality.

I recently gave up my 3GS in favor of an HTC Incredible 2. So no, I definitely will not be getting an iPhone 5 or whatever the next release is called.
I'm assuming you like the HTC Incredible 2? The only thing I didn't like about the HTC Evo was the battery life.
VERY short battery life.

How do you deal with the short battery life?
The battery life isn't all that short on the newer Android phones, and if you take off the AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/Random Carrier installed garbage, and take off whatever crap the manufacturer installs as well (TouchWiz/Sense) the phones have a very nice battery life.

You can also root and install apps that allow further control of the hardware (Under clocking for example) which will give it better battery life as well.

I'm not sure what the issue is with drag and drop from an iPhone either, as I have drag and drop from my iPhone to my system, whether it be desktop, file manager, photo program, etc... my iPhone pops up using an app, the very same world that Apple computers have now shifted to that has made phones so popular across many variating OS's... and I can drag and drop anything on my phone to my computer, completely disregarding iTunes.
The issue is that you must drag and drop into an application and use that application only. Here's a great example of what a total PITA it is - regardless of Mac or PC. Let's say you have a Word document that doesn't format perfectly in Documents to Go and you'd like to open that document in QuickOffice. You can't do that on the iPhone - or at least I can't do that on my iPod. It only allows the app that brought the document over to the iPhone to open it. In Android, Blackberry and virtually every other computer a file is accessible by every program so copy it once and any app on the phone can open the document. If I want to open up a document or MP3 of a lecture when I'm on the road, I give my SD card to my friend, he pops it into his PC, I put it back in my phone and done! An iPhone user, from my experience, is SOL until they get back to the safe haven of Appleville to do what they need to the file (or MP3) to get it to be recognized by the phone.

I grabbed an app that does everything you said you can't do on the computer with an iPhone, that does everything you said, except it does even more. It allows me to manage my entire phone, call logs, MMS, SMS, everything, I can see on my desktop via an app when my phone is plugged in. I can even SMS from my desktop instead of using my phone whilst my phone is plugged in.
Finally in 2011 you have an application that does primarily what I've been doing for 6+ years on a Palm, Blackberry or Android phone. You'll always be behind the curve because you have to rely on a solution (patent pending) Apple gives you when they are ready. Android allows anyone to openly create apps and other enhancements. After using a jailbreak iPhone, I realized at how much better the phone was - and Apple is totally against it (and must own every piece of code these coders add.) Rooting an Android phone = jailbreaking and you can get many variations. I don't even root because the OS is just fine as is with so many modifications.

Case in point - I hate iPhone email. For years we couldn't have an individual signature for each email account. I have no idea if that is possible now. Apple did not allow full email apps to be created that could do all of these things and more. Every iPhone app for email was a pathetic overlay for email functions without full functionality - crippled in Apple's API. I used a free app - K9 Email for Android. It was so far ahead of the iPhone email it was a profoundly sad discovery. :D

Combine Apple with Apple = outstanding. Combine Apple with Windows... less than stellar due to Windows functionality.
Apple with Apple is outstanding in the areas that Apple covers and mediocre to non-existant if it doesn't cover those needs. It is less than stellar with any other operating system - Windows, Linux or other. The reason is that Apple wants you to be stuck in its proprietary ecosystem, spending 100% of your money on Apple products and nowhere else. Sure it does some things very well - but it has you believing that is all there is and that what you're playing with is the best.

Best example - I just spent $570 to upgrade my PC to the fastest, smoking hot, state of the art machine with 16GB of super fast RAM. I kept my case, bluray drive, hard drive and HDTV card. An extra $180 allowed me to put in an SSD hard drive to smoke the bejesus out of the load time of any machine. A comparable Mac Pro would cost you over $2500 plus tax. I can only wonder how Apple will do in the new economy when people begin to realize that they have been paying a major luxury tax to look cool and be hip for overall comparable utility. And btw, my system looks *very* cool. :)

I don't begruge Mac users - it does an exceptionally good job if it works for what you need it to do. But make no mistake - there is a LOT out there that would probably surprise you and is the reason why Apple will sue even more than some other company we know in order to defend people from being able to make those very impressive choices of which you may not be aware.

The battery life isn't all that short on the newer Android phones, and if you take off the AT&T/Verizon/Sprint/Random Carrier installed garbage, and take off whatever crap the manufacturer installs as well (TouchWiz/Sense) the phones have a very nice battery life.

You can also root and install apps that allow further control of the hardware (Under clocking for example) which will give it better battery life as well.
And how many people know to do all that? I think it's more valid to compare both of them as they are out-of-the-box.

// What are the new features? I've forgotten.

The only thing I have see for sure is 4G bandwidth and adding Sprint as a carrier. Sprint still has unlimited data plans for smart phones.

Jeff

And how many people know to do all that? I think it's more valid to compare both of them as they are out-of-the-box.
Where did I make any comparison? Peggy asked a question about an Android device, and I gave her information relating to the newer devices, and things that can be done to optimize them further.

And the knowledge isn't uncommon, as the apps in question tend to get a lot of press for making Android devices run faster, smoother and/or longer lasting batteries. Also a lot of them offer automation (eg switching to WiFi when in distance of a certain network, or switching features off at certain times).

Top Bottom