Anyone planning on getting an iPhone 4S? (was iPhone 5)

I bought an iPhone 3GS back in July 2009 and it was brilliant, best phone I've ever had. I skipped the 4 hoping to get the 5 in July 2011 but it's almost October and there's still no sign of it.

My 3GS takes ages loading apps and even the general settings load slowly. The battery life doesn't last for more than a few hours unless I switch off the 3GS/Wifi which makes having an iPhone pointless.

I'm very tempted to get myself a Samsung S2. If Apple try and fob us off with a cheap 4S instead of a proper new phone then I'll be moving over to Android. Which is a shame as I bought a Macbook and iPad a few months ago.
Don't expect any improvement in battery from the S2. WiFi is a battery killer no matter what you use.

Don't expect any improvement in battery from the S2. WiFi is a battery killer no matter what you use.

I know. Some Android phones like the HTC Desire are supposed to be worse but you can purchase extra batteries and not have to worry about finding a charging point when ur out and about. The iPhone battery is sealed and u need some form of external power source.

I know. Some Android phones like the HTC Desire are supposed to be worse but you can purchase extra batteries and not have to worry about finding a charging point when ur out and about. The iPhone battery is sealed and u need some form of external power source.
Seriously, that mostly marketing FUD. For the same amount as extra batteries for other phones, you can get a battery pack for the iPhone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19W2F8072PFD4N0Q1BJS

I carry three of these in my computer bag. What's even better is where an external phone batter is only good for the phone, this works on my iPhone, iPad, and iPod. Pretty damned useful on a long flight.

I carry three of these in my computer bag.

I have two of those exact same batteries myself. They're a handy way of recharging but if you're moving about then they keep getting disconnected from the iPhone. Im always checking my bag/pocket to see if it's still charging or if I need to push it back together with the iPhone. They also make the iphone nearly 50% longer and hard to put in a pocket, you really do need to be carrying a bag to use this charger properly.

A friend of mine has an iPhone juice jacket, which is a case that fits around your iPhone and includes a built-in battery. It adds unnecessary weight and thickness to the iPhone killing the benefits of having a slim and light phone.

That's why I much prefer swappable internal batteries, I used to buy extra batteries for the phones I had before my iPhone and I would buy them for my iPhone too if Apple weren't so controlling about their products and services!

I'm still on 3Gs. When iPhone 4 came out, the 3Gs went on sale for $49.
I'm hoping that when iPhone 5 comes out, the 4 will go on sale as well. That is when I will get the iPhone 4.
I never ever get a new release. Always too many bugs. If/when the iPhone 6 is release, is when I would get the 5.
I've always bought the newest models, and they have always been flawless :D

That's the main reason I avoid all Apple stuff to be honest.

Non user-replaceable batteries are simply unacceptable in this day and age.
Why do you want to replace the batteries? I have owned 3 iPhones and never has there been any need to do that :confused:

And, avoiding a certain phone-producer just because the media has hyped them to be "controlling" is weak. Apple has been always been like this, it's just that when they got more 'mainstream' everybody have a sudden urge to mean something about them.

The ones with the roughest critiques against Apple is almost always those who doesn't even own an Apple product themselves.

Why do you want to replace the batteries? I have owned 3 iPhones and never has there been any need to do that :confused:

And, avoiding a certain phone-producer just because the media has hyped them to be "controlling" is weak. Apple has been always been like this, it's just that when they got more 'mainstream' everybody have a sudden urge to mean something about them.

The ones with the roughest critiques against Apple is almost always those who doesn't even own an Apple product themselves.

Apple's actions speak louder than any supposed media hype. And, some of the most critical comments I've seen about Android devices seem to come from those who don't own one, as well. Same could be said for Microsoft, or any other company's products really. Hardly a reason to dismiss them outright.

As someone who owns several Apple devices and develops for the iOS platform, I still find some of their policies questionable and downright controlling. People make more of fuss over it precisely because they are more mainstream now. Honestly, who would care much about a "controlling" company with little reach or appeal to the masses. Exactly why you see more people being critical of Facebook nowadays.

I wouldn't say "always." You used to be able to quickly open your Mac and replace any part you needed. Not so much anymore. You used to be able to quickly take the battery out of your notebook and replace it. Now you can't, at least not very easily.

Apple has certainly become more restrictive over time, because it allows them to have tighter vendor lock-in and thus higher profits.

Ive got the S2 and have no issues with the battery life since I started using an app called Juice Defender. Its pretty much doubled how long my battery lasts, and im a heavy browser.

Plus for £10 I got from ebay 3 spare batteries and a wall charger. Charged them all up and keep one in the car, one at home and one in my work locker. Always handy for emergencies!

Apple's actions speak louder than any supposed media hype. And, some of the most critical comments I've seen about Android devices seem to come from those who don't own one, as well. Same could be said for Microsoft, or any other company's products really. Hardly a reason to dismiss them outright.

As someone who owns several Apple devices and develops for the iOS platform, I still find some of their policies questionable and downright controlling. People make more of fuss over it precisely because they are more mainstream now. Honestly, who would care much about a "controlling" company with little reach or appeal to the masses. Exactly why you see more people being critical of Facebook nowadays.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/09...icized-for-its-is-my-son-gay-app-for-android/
If thats an example of the less controlled environment, I'll pass.

And if you think your son's gay, don't download a stupid app. Try talking to him honestly. If he is gay, you might be surprised to find out he is still the same son you've always loved AND gay. Wow! The two can coexist! I image that might even lead to - perish the thought - acceptance, tolerance and a more open mind?

But back to Apple's App Store. Mostly, their concerned with quality control. Thats a good thing.

Secondly, they don't want apps that reflect poorly on them. You know, like apps to see if your son is gay.

As for the battery, I use a mophie external battery. Pretty much covers me for any time I have needed (long airplane flights, though, the longest I have flown is US Coast to Coast). I suppose this is not big news, but I am always surprised that the video function seems to just sip battery power....a lot of this is now rendered a non-issue for me as I have an iPad2, so most of my earlier issues have now been obviated by the use of two devices.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/09...icized-for-its-is-my-son-gay-app-for-android/

And if you think your son's gay, don't download a stupid app. Try talking to him honestly. If he is gay, you might be surprised to find out he is still the same son you've always loved AND gay. Wow! The two can coexist! I image that might even lead to - perish the thought - acceptance, tolerance and a more open mind?

But back to Apple's App Store. Mostly, their concerned with quality control. Thats a good thing.

Secondly, they don't want apps that reflect poorly on them. You know, like apps to see if your son is gay.

So out of 520,000 android apps currently available, you've found an article about one which is a bit dubious. Pretty poor reason to dismiss an entire smartphone OS. :rolleyes:

Seriously?
If you dont want the game, then dont download it! Theres plently of games out there for the PC, dosent mean I have to download them and play them.

Also with security - A bit of common sense needs to be applied here. Same with anything in life.

Out of interest, do you own an android device?

Your argument might actually hold some weight if Apple didn't approve "Anti-Gay" apps (eg., "Gay Cure", "Ex-Gay", etc.) and only withdrew them after heavy criticism.

Apple is not concerned with the content of most apps, that's one of the reasons "fart" apps exist. They're not even too concerned with the quality of the app either -- there's plenty of poorly developed apps in both the App Store and Android Market. They just want control over the process, and try and ensure apps are not malicious in nature (and keep out those they arbitrarily deem inappropriate (Google Voice anyone?)) -- and occasionally things slip by. I'm not arguing one process is better than the other. As a developer though, I prefer Android, not because Apple maintains a walled-garden but because I disagree with some of their policies. But as long as there is money to be made on both, I'll continue to develop for both.

Oh, how I wish someone would pick up WebOS!

Well, you know, if you happen to be away from a power source and want to have power in your phone, or of course, if the battery packs up. If you've owned 3 iPhones, you probbaly haven't had them long enough to experience any battery related issues. If you're happy to pay Apple $100 or whatever they charge to change a duff battery then fair enough.

Personally, if I know I'm going to be out of reach of a charger (admitidely, that's pretty hard these days) or have a duff battery, I know I can go and buy a replacement and fit it myself.

Want more storage on the phone - no problem, go and buy a larger memory card and upgrade it myself, try doing that with an iPhone.

They are great devices, I just don't agree with the way Apple ties you into them, hence the iPhone 1 I bought from new didn't last more than a week before going back (admitidly, that was because it didn't work with Vista 64bit at the time). Great iPod, shoddy phone in that case, the newer ones aren't quite so bad though.

Still, the battery in my xperia play will start lasting longer soon, when I pick up a Vita, it'll no longer get used for games.

Top Bottom