Anyone going to ForumCon?

LOL now that could be an interesting couple of days.. 3 dozen XF admins in one house... we had better have Dean and the Broganator on hand to make sure we don't all burst into flames :p

There's enough to do in Chicago that I wouldn't worry about erupting into flames: we'd be using his place as a bunkhouse. :D

That is why I stay cheap out there: a hotel room is somewhere to sleep and shower. Sure it would be nice in a fancy downtown hotel, but for the small amount of time spent in the room, it's not worth it.

I've been to several, nothing matches the one in downtown Chicago.

:)

I have the same argument here. Detroit-style pizza was originated by one person in the late 1940s, and all of the imitators IMHO just can't get it right.

My Chicago buddy likes a stuffed crust pizza they make out there...that is too much for me! Carb coma. :D

BTW, this is turning into PizzaCon, not ForumCon!

LOL well now that's a Con I could get into! :D

Not sure about this whole deep dish pizza thing though... having googled it - I have to agree with the "Casserole" comment by tmb... but I would try it.

Chicago-pizza.webp

BTW, this is turning into PizzaCon, not ForumCon!
PizzaCon? Ooooh, oooh, where do I sign up?! Better yet, schedule both cons in the same building so I can be munching pizza while listening to the speakers. :D

Not sure about this whole deep dish pizza thing though... having googled it - I have to agree with the "Casserole" comment by tmb... but I would try it.
Trying true Chicago deep dish style pizza is definitely on the recommended list, as opposed to the "called deep dish pizza but is really just really thick crust pizza" stuff like Pizza Hut. Personally though I'm from the East coast so I prefer a nice thin crust (in particular, 'boardwalk style' where the cheese is put on first and then a slightly sweet sauce on top).
franzonepizza.JPG

But, to stay on topic.... :D

I would be interested in ForumCon if it was on the East coast so I didn't have to have a considerable expense to layout. So far everything I've read about last years con says to me that either (a) the intended audience is really a small percentage of forum owners who might benefit from it and/or (b) it is an interesting idea for a con but needs to mature a bit before it becomes a destination event instead of something going to because it is convenient.

Chicago is very loud, very crowded, scary drivers, you can't see the starts.

I have been there about 20 times. My nerves are shot by the time I leave. Just to big for me.

Trying true Chicago deep dish style pizza is definitely on the recommended list, as opposed to the "called deep dish pizza but is really just really thick crust pizza" stuff like Pizza Hut.

That's a big difference. Most of what they call "deep dish" by me is just a thick crust that half the time, isn't cooked all the way through. There are some truly awful local pizzas like that. I don't know how Uno does it, but the crust is somewhat thick, but also a bit airy and not like dough at all. Cloverleaf's crust is different, but it is also lighter than it looks.

Personally though I'm from the East coast so I prefer a nice thin crust (in particular, 'boardwalk style' where the cheese is put on first and then a slightly sweet sauce on top).

Funny, that's how Cloverleaf makes theirs--although the sauce is actually put on after it is baked.

Back to ForumCon: we have to remember that anyone who organizes conferences and conventions don't necessarily plan them solely for the convenience of attendees. All of us could make arguments as to where it's held. But, at least if it is in a major city, airfare is usually cheaper and accommodations easier to find (especially if you are willing to stay a short distance from the venue). Given the number of presentations and presenters, and the companies they are from, this seems like an event that could only happen once per year anyway. Attendance this year might dictate if they expand in future years (add another day, or add another venue, such as on the west coast or in Europe/UK ). I don't see this as being much different from other trade shows, many (most?) of which are held only in one location per year anyway.

So are we going to be able to see the presentation via live feed and/or recorded video uploaded later? Even if it's not anything majorly new I'm sure there's general interest to watch it. :unsure:

Back to ForumCon: we have to remember that anyone who organizes conferences and conventions don't necessarily plan them solely for the convenience of attendees. All of us could make arguments as to where it's held. But, at least if it is in a major city, airfare is usually cheaper and accommodations easier to find (especially if you are willing to stay a short distance from the venue). Given the number of presentations and presenters, and the companies they are from, this seems like an event that could only happen once per year anyway. Attendance this year might dictate if they expand in future years (add another day, or add another venue, such as on the west coast or in Europe/UK ). I don't see this as being much different from other trade shows, many (most?) of which are held only in one location per year anyway.
Some trade shows take place at two different locations. ForumCon took place here in San Francisco earlier this year, and now it's in Chicago. In my industry of video games we sometimes have different locations depending on the circumstance. E3 is one of the world's largest entertainment convention(s) and it switched locations a few years ago in response to publishers threatening to leave the ESA over oversaturation of "journalists." Then ESA put the event back at it's primary home - the Los Angeles Convention Center.

A lot of the conventions that I've seen so far don't always expand to new locations - they only do it if there's demand for a new location. For example, PAX [Penny Arcade's convention] switch(es) between Boston, and Seattle depending on the demographic they want to target. There was 3 different PAX events this year alone.

So are we going to be able to see the presentation via live feed and/or recorded video uploaded later? Even if it's not anything majorly new I'm sure there's general interest to watch it. :unsure:
Ooooh yea, if someone could drop a feed link, that would be good :)

Top Bottom