Anyone going to ForumCon?

The reason why I tried reaching him is because he invests in some forums/sites, and one category that catches my eye is "games" I know he meant games like those you find on facebook, myspace, and whatnot.... but the relevance is there. When I go to his venture website, I can't find his e-mail [well, not one directly at him].

EDIT: Hmm.... That's funny, there's a profile of him and his ...e-mail. I never saw that before.

EDIT: This thread reaches 2,000 views. *Faints*

Games - his comment was that they are looking for sites that have "gamization" which involves investment of users - don't have time to elaborate now since time is short. Suffice it to say he doesn't invest in general "gaming" sites and you better have shown a huge ROI, emphasis on past tense "shown" and in "huge" and in ROI. They only want cherry pickings and the feeling they can get them - at least that was my feeling.

Games - his comment was that they are looking for sites that have "gamization" which involves investment of users - don't have time to elaborate now since time is short. Suffice it to say he doesn't invest in general "gaming" sites and you better have shown a huge ROI, emphasis on past tense "shown" and in "huge" and in ROI. They only want cherry pickings and the feeling they can get them - at least that was my feeling.

Sounds like gamification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification

It's a form of manipulation.

:), glad I didn't attend...it isn't that far from where I live and I was considering it but the only real reason to attend would have been for Kier...thank god I didn't attend afterall.
Likewise, rather glad I didn't book it up either (not that I was likely too, even without the forthcoming arrival). I hope Kier didn't need to cancel for any bad personal reasons.

I have suggested to the organisers that they have the next one in Europe, preferably the UK (personal bias of course).

I'm also surprised they don't offer these for free as well, I guess they have their reasons.

Some trade shows take place at two different locations.

The CES used to have two trade shows per year: winter (Vegas) and summer (Chicago, at McCormick). 1994 was the last year of the CES in Chicago--they had planned to take the summer CES to different cities, but it finally faltered after a few years. Ironically, the 1995 summer "traveling" CES was in Philadephia the same weekend that the first E3 was taking place on the west coast, so a lot exhibitors bowed out of CES. After a few years, they canceled the summer CES altogether.

Depends on the industry. Some industries that are popular or growing can sustain multiple trade shows per year. CES scaled back to one a year...and it's actually a lot bigger than it ever has been. If Vegas weren't so expensive to book a room during that week, I'd be going.

There is no way that Forumcon can even be comparable to CES, the latter of which appeals to a far wider audience. In addition, there aren't really "exhibitors" at Forumcon although one would think there should be - but exhibit what? It's online and you'd sooner spend the money marketing your forum online. This is more geared to "the future of forums" and "where they are going" and "tips from people who run very successful forums whom you can also establish a personal rapport" day.

They want to do 2 per year but I don't see that happening yet. Turnout this past event was excellent and I think the next one can be even larger, now that the formula is getting better and the desire of the market is being identified and addressed. I was grateful to meet so many people whose names I heard before and whom I've interacted with online but had never met in person. Was truly great to meet so many of them. Is it beneficial to the public at large - will they continue to patronize this event? It's difficult to say. As long as they keep events in major cities and the price reasonable (I think $150 might be a bit too high) you'll see a decent turnout. I will say that, at least for me, I had a blast and really enjoyed seeing everyone, including making several excellent new contacts.

There is no way that Forumcon can even be comparable to CES, the latter of which appeals to a far wider audience.

That isn't my point. The point is, trade shows, conferences, etc. come and go. What works in two locations this year might only be feasible at one location next year, or could be so popular that a third or fourth may be added. Even as the field of CE has grown, they can still only pull off one show per year.

Also thought it interesting that while video games are considered CE, the end of the summer CES more or less coincided with the rise of E3.

I did consider ForumCon, but after re-reading the agenda, I really didn't see what value it would have had for me. It is a disappointment that XenForo did not have at least a representation there of some sort (if not a speaker, at least a representative, someone on the floor who could at least ignite some interest among the attendees who think the world revolves around vB, IPB and the others who showed up).

BTW, anyone getting spammed by Huddler? Whoever keeps contacting us keeps pissing me off. Not one word about visitor experience: no, all of the email rattles on about how they're going to make me more money. And looking at the examples they sent over, the forum looked like a trainwrecked older version of vB. Too aggressive. I don't like that.

I also made the same end-connotation in this thread, Rudy. :)

Conventions' times, locations, and expansion(s) are revolved around the show's popularity. For example, a video game convention called "E for All" didn't have a strong showing, so the convention died off within a year. In 2009, they merged the convention into ....E3. Go figure.

Anyone who thinks conferences should be free or "inexpensive" should call their local convention center and ask them about rates. That should disabuse you of the notion of free conferences very quickly.

$150 for this conference (that I've never heard of before) is dirt cheap. HostingCon is two or three times that, the upcoming BlogWorld & New Media Expo in Los Angeles is over a grand (see you there!), and what is TED? Five grand? And sold out a year in advance. Most conferences are looking to attract professionals in a given field, not end users. No offense to anyone that excludes.

$150 for this conference (that I've never heard of before) is dirt cheap. HostingCon is two or three times that, the upcoming BlogWorld & New Media Expo in Los Angeles is over a grand (see you there!), and what is TED? Five grand? And sold out a year in advance. Most conferences are looking to attract professionals in a given field, not end users. No offense to anyone that excludes.
Don't disagree but it's a matter of the market - and the hosting world is far different (vast, readily monetized and sophisticated) than forums. Unless you can draw tens of thousands and have hundreds of exhibitors pay to be at the show (e.g. I'm going to Interop Word at the Javits Center), you're going to be stuck primarily getting your revenue from admissions fees and from a handful of vendors. But in this space, who will pay more than $99 for this? I'm struggling to identify them although I hope this conference continues, even if it grows slowly.

Top Bottom