Anyone going to ForumCon?

I went to the Forumcon in San Francisco back in the spring, and while I enjoyed my time there it really wasn't worth the expense. The target market seems to be novice level, and while I did enjoy meeting with some friends at the SF one, most of those people aren't going to the Chicago one for the same reasons as me. It seems that beside Kier and the Vanilla guys, the speakers are very much the same, and the thought of travelling all that way and paying airfare and hotels for an extensive sales pitch isn't all that appealing to me.

OTOH, if there are any forum admins here in the New England area and want to set up a less formal type of event, send me a message.

I wish I could attend but I'm too busy this year to make it. I'd mostly be interested in going to meet some of the guys I've known via the net for years. Maybe next year, do they ever hold one in the south or on the east coast?

To anyone that's going: hope you have a safe trip and a good time. Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun! :)

It will never be here in Australia lol, but if I could afford it I would go to one, my preference would be in the UK though, as two of the major commercial softwares are Brit, I think it would get a good crowd.

The one that is on in Chicago could be good, I dunno, but I think it needs expanding to include PHPBB and SMF or other free community softwares and a much wider audience than it appears to be aimed at.

I am hoping someone does do a vid of Kier's keynote at least :D would be fun to see!

The one that is on in Chicago could be good, I dunno, but I think it needs expanding to include PHPBB and SMF or other free community softwares and a much wider audience than it appears to be aimed at.

The feeling I get from seeing the list of speakers is that it is geared toward larger "big board" forums that in many cases, would not use the free forum solutions out there. I see it being mainly for forum admins and developers who install, configure and administer forums for a living, and board owners who are seeking to gain search engine positioning and monetization options.

I'd go if you came to Chicago...but then again, one can get into a lot of trouble in Chicago. ;) Seriously, I live close enough to Chicago that it is a four to five hour drive for me, and it really is an impressive big city. I live near Detroit and let me tell you, the city is an embarassment. Chicago, downtown, puts ours to shame with its multiple museums, the shopping, nightlife and restaurants...we have a few museums and one or two spots to go after hours, but beyond that, it is a ghost town after dark. Not to mention being run down, strewn with litter and populated by the homeless.

The feeling I get from seeing the list of speakers is that it is geared toward larger "big board" forums that in many cases, would not use the free forum solutions out there. I see it being mainly for forum admins and developers who install, configure and administer forums for a living, and board owners who are seeking to gain search engine positioning and monetization options.

I'd go if you came to Chicago...but then again, one can get into a lot of trouble in Chicago. ;) Seriously, I live close enough to Chicago that it is a four to five hour drive for me, and it really is an impressive big city. I live near Detroit and let me tell you, the city is an embarassment. Chicago, downtown, puts ours to shame with its multiple museums, the shopping, nightlife and restaurants...we have a few museums and one or two spots to go after hours, but beyond that, it is a ghost town after dark. Not to mention being run down, strewn with litter and populated by the homeless.

Hi Rudy, Yes I am sure it is aimed at that market, but I would like to see it opened up to a wider audience, and don't forget many people who start forums on free solutions end up with the paid alternatives down the line, or not, the biggest board in the world is a PHPBB board apparently.... I just think it should be a more inclusive and wider audience myself.

LOL, I have heard Chicago is a great place, I have a friend here who visits there at least once a year and she loves it! But still, it's a loooooooong way to go for a Convention, and I am holding out for the barefoot picnic one for Xenforo .... http://xenforo.com/community/threads/alternative-revenue-stream-for-kier.4537/page-2#post-72111

:D hehehe

Have fun to anyone that is going, and please do report back with how it was!!

LOL, I have heard Chicago is a great place, I have a friend here who visits there at least once a year and she loves it! But still, it's a loooooooong way to go for a Convention, and I am holding out for the barefoot picnic one for Xenforo .... http://xenforo.com/community/threads/alternative-revenue-stream-for-kier.4537/page-2#post-72111

I wish I could go...thing is, I don't know if they would allow anyone to shoot a video of any particular lecture. It just isn't in the cards for me this year. In fact, I have to make a trip in the opposite direction (about 11 hours each way) to pick up some audio equipment I have waiting for me in Connecticut, and it has to be done within the next month or so.

And I was really looking forward to a deep dish pizza at Pizzeria Uno in downtown Chicago... ;)

mmmmmmmm That would be a dang expensive pizza for me though! lol

:D

True dat! :D Last time I went, though, there were two of us. We each had a small deep dish, split a spinach salad, and it cost us almost as much to park in the nearby garage for two hours (which ran $22!). Parking is outrageous down there. I'd probably stay with a friend of mine in Lyons, and just catch the train from his neighborhood to downtown. All bus routes are clearly marked, so it is easy to get around.

There is one in Birch Run (I've been there--it's goood), though I'm sure it doesn't match the actual Chicago location. *drools*

(anyway... :p)

In Chicago, I think that Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due (which is only a block or two away) are the same owner. The other "Uno" restaurants I think are franchises. I recall they had a few similar menu items, but due to the size of the location I've been to downtown, their menu is rather limited since it is not all that large. The franchises had more variety. Downtown, you also place your pizza order 45 minutes ahead of time, while you are waiting in line. The crust at the downtown restaurant is thick, but it is not like dough--it is actually airy and a bit crisp.

Do you live in the area? I've been to the Birch Run location a couple of times. They used to have one in the Downriver area in Woodhaven (across Allen Rd. from the Target), and also had one near me in Westland (on one of the Westland Mall out-lots); both have been closed for a few years now. I am not sure if the location in Shelby Twp. (Mound Rd. near M-59) is still there or not.

I'm a fan of the Detroit-style pizza from Cloverleaf Bar in Eastpointe, though... :D

Actually it is not as bad as I thought... $ a shade under 2000 - plus accommodation plus entry to the event, plus food, plus alcohol, plus presents to bribe my hubby and son to let me go.... nawwww don't think it's doable :p

Sydney to Chicago Airfare

from $1,953*

chicago_theater.jpg

Want to talk to a travel expert? Call 133 133

• Return economy class airfare to Chicago per person. Prepaid taxes.

Experience Chicago

More Information

Chicago is the 3rd visited city in the United States and is located at the tip of Lake Michigan. Home to the Chicago Cubs, Al Capone and the "L" trains (L for elevated), Chicago is a city worth exploring .

Travel Dates

• 20 Sep 2011 - 20 Nov 2011 // 02 Feb 2012 - 30 Mar 2012.

In Chicago, I think that Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due (which is only a block or two away) are the same owner. The other "Uno" restaurants I think are franchises. I recall they had a few similar menu items, but due to the size of the location I've been to downtown, their menu is rather limited since it is not all that large. The franchises had more variety. Downtown, you also place your pizza order 45 minutes ahead of time, while you are waiting in line. The crust at the downtown restaurant is thick, but it is not like dough--it is actually airy and a bit crisp.

Do you live in the area? I've been to the Birch Run location a couple of times. They used to have one in the Downriver area in Woodhaven (across Allen Rd. from the Target), and also had one near me in Westland (on one of the Westland Mall out-lots); both have been closed for a few years now. I am not sure if the location in Shelby Twp. (Mound Rd. near M-59) is still there or not.

I'm a fan of the Detroit-style pizza from Cloverleaf Bar in Eastpointe, though... :D
Ah, OK...guess I'd have to try the Chicago restaurant the next time I'm in Chicago (though I've only been there once, lol). :) Yes, I'm from mid-Michigan (about 45 minutes south of Lansing), currently at MSU for school.

Actually it is not as bad as I thought... $ a shade under 2000 - plus accommodation plus entry to the event, plus food, plus alcohol, plus presents to bribe my hubby and son to let me go.... nawwww don't think it's doable :p

Can't help with airfare, but I should ask my buddy: "Would you mind if about three dozen XenForo forum admins stayed at your house for a few days?" :D

I usually stay in the suburbs; downtown accommodations are convenient but very expensive. I stayed out in Naperville five years ago for $64/night (a deal at the Best Western hotel), and a bit more on a trip the following year. There are other less pricey places to stay in the suburbs; finding one near a Metra station should not be difficult. A ten-ride Metra ticket costs less than parking for an hour downtown...

In Chicago, I think that Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due (which is only a block or two away) are the same owner. The other "Uno" restaurants I think are franchises...
I've been to several, nothing matches the one in downtown Chicago.

:)

Can't help with airfare, but I should ask my buddy: "Would you mind if about three dozen XenForo forum admins stayed at your house for a few days?" :D

I usually stay in the suburbs; downtown accommodations are convenient but very expensive. I stayed out in Naperville five years ago for $64/night (a deal at the Best Western hotel), and a bit more on a trip the following year. There are other less pricey places to stay in the suburbs; finding one near a Metra station should not be difficult. A ten-ride Metra ticket costs less than parking for an hour downtown...

LOL now that could be an interesting couple of days.. 3 dozen XF admins in one house... we had better have Dean and the Broganator on hand to make sure we don't all burst into flames :p

Ah, OK...guess I'd have to try the Chicago restaurant the next time I'm in Chicago (though I've only been there once, lol). :) Yes, I'm from mid-Michigan (about 45 minutes south of Lansing), currently at MSU for school.

Given that I'm a casual Wolverines fan, I can get over the fact that you are in Spartan territory. :D Actually, I'm attempting to get a degree from Schoolcraft, and may go on to Lawrence Tech (something I should have done 20 years ago) if I decide to stay here. Too hard to find work, so I could end up anywhere at this point. I'm taking a semester off to either find work or try to get more development business coming in. Although having done it for 15 years, I'm really getting tired of the ups and downs of freelance work.

If you were to take I-96 to I-696, and take it all the way to the eastern end of the freeway, I'm about a mile from there (and a mile away from Lake St. Clair). Small world eh? :D

Top Bottom