Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

You should not have to worry about php level requirements because that's something your web host monitors.
That being said some older versions of xf won't work if you have it above 7 as they have chosen not to upgrade.
I have mine at the latest version

Less than 22% of PHP installations are on version 8.0 or higher. So even if XenForo wanted to make the minimum 8.0, it would be a terrible business decision because most users/servers wouldn’t be able to run it.

Our own stats give a slightly more favourable picture when looking at active installations running 2.2 already.

IMG_8643.jpeg
But that big chunk of 7.4 and below is far too big to ignore.

We could probably comfortably make 7.4 the minimum but for now it’s gonna be 7.2.5. Maybe we’ll bump up to 7.4 after 2.3.

Reactions: Dkf
Ya makes sense XenForo users are higher on average since they are going to be running their own servers with a higher probability than an average site owner. I’d think anyway…

I don't get why hosts don't routinely support the most common older version, eg 7.4 here as well as the more recent ones, eg 8.0.x including the very latest 8.2.x. Upping the PHP requirements then wouldn't be such a problem.

This restriction was one of the big reasons why I used AWS to create my own hosting so that I could run the latest PHP that XF would allow and it worked very well.

Our own stats give a slightly more favourable picture when looking at active installations running 2.2 already.

View attachment 290116

We could probably comfortably make 7.4 the minimum but for now it’s gonna be 7.2.5. Maybe we’ll bump up to 7.4 after 2.3.

I hope we can do something like this to encourage people to hit update. https://xenforo.com/community/threads/encourage-site-admins-to-update-php-during-beta-hys.216093/

It's definitely important that you all can use new language features sooner.

View attachment 290116

I have already said it before here, but it is frightening that such a huge proportion of sites are running on versions of PHP that no longer receive even security updates. Xenforo have ensured that everything has been done to allow XF to run on the latest versions, and PHP itself is relatively stable and easy to upgrade.

Less than 22% of PHP installations are on version 8.0 or higher. So even if XenForo wanted to make the minimum 8.0, it would be a terrible business decision because most users/servers wouldn’t be able to run it.
I noticed that other forum software do increase their minimum version to PHP8 or higher:
Woltlab Burning board 6 has a minimum of PHP 8.1
vBulletin 6 has a minimum of PHP 8.0
Not many details about IPS 5 are released yet. Minimum PHP version is unknown.

Hey guys,

I noticed that you had some sort of server issue/maintenance problem yesterday.

Any danger of giving us a heads up notice when it next happens so that we can relax.

Because seeing [a Cloudflare error page] has us a little worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FTL

"BREAKING 🚨

XF 2.3 will be released in 2023."

Just wondering, is this still true? I don't really expect an answer but figured it was worth asking. 🤞(seems to be a secret on purpose!)

Last edited:
Just wondering, is this still true? I don't really expect an answer but figured it was worth asking. 🤞(seems to be a secret on purpose!)

BREAKING 🚨

XF 2.3 will be released in 2022.

🫣

He said 2022, it didn't turn out to be true, I hope this time it is true.

Reactions: Dkf
Top Bottom