Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

Will I be able to load up OoT on it?

Also please don't use whatever reddit uses. Whenever I paste in a link it deletes everything I had written.
That's part of their new elaborate scheme for losing even further user engagement.

First piss off volunteer moderators and alienate the whole robust third-party app makers that basically remedied the lacking features and UX nightmare that was Reddit, and now alienate users by forcing a terrible editor down their throats.

Will there be support for WebP in the new version? Is it true?
Will it be possible to convert all existing content from JPEG to WebP?

I know webp is coming in 2.3, but I don't know if a built-in conversion will be offered too. I'd expect the usual suspects to write an add-on converter in short order, if not. :)

Last edited:
What about AVIF? Some countries skipped physical phone lines and moved straight on to cellular rather than sequentially pass each milestone in technological innovation.

2.3 has been in active development for quite some time and we expect to start running HYS threads in the coming weeks.

It appears that the development of version 2.3 has taken longer than expected. The statement mentioned that they expected to start running HYS threads within a few weeks back in July 2022.

However, as of August 2023, the new version has not been released yet.

It appears that the development of version 2.3 has taken longer than expected. The statement mentioned that they expected to start running HYS threads within a few weeks back in July 2022.

Won't be released until the developers are ready to release it.

Why do you think this thread is so long...

Font Awesome 6 doesn't offer commercial licenses which allow redistribution, and we use icons that are only available in the commercial edition:

So we would have to remove all "pro" icons and leave it to administrators to purchase a license of their if they wish to use them. We're sticking with v5 for now.

Please find attached an ODT and its HTML counterpart, containing the most basic paragraph and inline formatting properties. I hope you will find it useful when testing the text editor candidates.
My (paid) Advanced bb-code pack add-on copy&paste support handles (of the HTML) everything from that sample document except a few things:
  • First line indent
    • No plan to support this.
  • Body indent
    • Not sure why this isn't working.
  • The h5/h6 tags.
    • XF (and my add-on) just don't implement these tags. Adding them is quite easy and extending copy & paste is just a matter of updating the header tag list.
Copy & paste from LibraOfficeworks fine (baring the above issues). Copy & paste from OpenOffice fails weirdly (guess I need to fix that).

I've shared with @Chris D how that support has been done and a bunch of other samples.

Your sample document miss a pile of pain around newline/paragraph support.

Webp support is fairly painful as Safari browsers are a nightmare to detect support without client-side detection

Last edited:
Can we just treat Safari like everyone treated old versions of IE? It literally is always behind, always problematic, and always suffers the weird edge case issues that no other browser (even non-Chromium) experience.

WebP is supported on Safari 14+ for ~3 years now, AVIF support is comparatively ~1 year old. New version adoption tends to be pretty quick for Safari though, thankfully.
You need Safari 16+ for unconditional webp support :(

After enabling some custom webp support on my own sites, I had a number of firefox* and safari users bitterly complain about it until I added a bunch of pessimistic user-agent sniffing and client-detection on if webp is really enabled.

*Firefox's webp support is conditional, and dumb.

WebP is supported on Safari 14+ for ~3 years now, AVIF support is comparatively ~1 year old. New version adoption tends to be pretty quick for Safari though, thankfully.
Itā€™s also not so much browser support as it is server-side/PHP support. PHP has reasonable support for WebP in versions from the last few years. AVIF not so muchā€¦ you would more or less need to move XenForoā€™s minimum required version to PHP 8.1 if AVIF were to be supported. You could of course so logic based on PHP version to support it, but not worth that effort imo. WebP is ready, AVIF not so much (at least not without requiring people to be on the latest versions of PHP which isnā€™t realistic from a business standpoint).

You need Safari 16+ for unconditional webp support :(
That's true. If you want to support Safari on macOS <11 (released the same year as Safari 14), then WebP is not supported. Safari 16 dropped support for macOS <11 entirely. Though I do think it's worth taking into account that iOS tends to make up the bulk of Safari traffic (especially since there are no alternative browser engines on iOS).

*Firefox's webp support is conditional, and dumb.
Interesting. I know some people run older or forked versions of Firefox, but I thought it was supported unconditionally in Firefox 65+.

Itā€™s also not so much browser support as it is server-side/PHP support. PHP has reasonable support for WebP in versions from the last few years.
Yeah, adding AVIF support isn't particularly difficult but I'm not sure it's worthwhile just yet given the limited support.

Top Bottom