Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

It’s not really something that can be decided on in that way.

What looks like a good editor to use could be a terrible one to implement or poorly maintained.
I get where you're coming from.
I only said it because if it's difficult for you to make a choice and it's the only thing left i'd take it to all of us.
Hence why i have my own theory that 2.3's editor could look like vBulletin's editor. I know you hate it but look if you had it as an option and we all voted for it you'd get our way of thinking.
Even the one from Simple Machines is good - but i don't know if it would suit us here.
I've seen phpbb's one and think what a load of work to get that coded up.
vBulletin's one is a visual basic studio code something that is easy to follow but hard to code.
I know this because i used to learn visual studio programming in an information technology course i did. Found it was the hardest thing to pass.
But if you know that type of programming go for it.

But it is.
Sounds like that's down to the vagaries of HMTL and the way different browsers interpret it, perhaps?

This is why universal standards and adhering to them are so important, but you know that, of course.

I get where you're coming from.
I only said it because if it's difficult for you to make a choice and it's the only thing left i'd take it to all of us.
Hence why i have my own theory that 2.3's editor could look like vBulletin's editor. I know you hate it but look if you had it as an option and we all voted for it you'd get our way of thinking.
Even the one from Simple Machines is good - but i don't know if it would suit us here.
I've seen phpbb's one and think what a load of work to get that coded up.
vBulletin's one is a visual basic studio code something that is easy to follow but hard to code.
I know this because i used to learn visual studio programming in an information technology course i did. Found it was the hardest thing to pass.
But if you know that type of programming go for it.
You do know by editor people are talking about the post/reply editor right?

This thing
1690467170788.webp

vBulletin uses CKEditor which is not a visual basic studio code something.

I don’t see anything wrong with the current editor. Why is it mandatory to change? What isn’t broken, doesn’t need a change imo here.

I don’t see anything wrong with the current editor. Why is it mandatory to change? What isn’t broken, doesn’t need a change imo here.

It depends on what you are posting from and how much functionality you care to use to make a post. The overwhelming majority of posts in this forum for example consists of no more than typed text and therefore members are less likely to encounter an error.

Indeed. Froala was a dream to implement and, at the time we chose it, was relatively cheap and incredibly well maintained.

Unfortunately, that didn't last forever.

Cost isn't really an issue, we would probably pay $1000s per year for a decent editor, and, indeed, the license we need for Froala is supposed to be around $2,000 a year. But, when you contrast that against the problems it has, it's really very bad value for money.

Thankfully, XenForo Limited hasn't paid a bill that high for quite some time due to timely offers, discounts and bulk discounts for buying multiple years up front.

We don't intend to renew our license again. It expires in 2025.

I think we've said it elsewhere, but a new editor is unlikely to make it into XF 2.3. Although this does give us ample time to get it right.

Indeed. Froala was a dream to implement and, at the time we chose it, was relatively cheap and incredibly well maintained.

Unfortunately, that didn't last forever.

Cost isn't really an issue, we would probably pay $1000s per year for a decent editor, and, indeed, the license we need for Froala is supposed to be around $2,000 a year. But, when you contrast that against the problems it has, it's really very bad value for money.

Thankfully, XenForo Limited hasn't paid a bill that high for quite some time due to timely offers, discounts and bulk discounts for buying multiple years up front.

We don't intend to renew our license again. It expires in 2025.

I think we've said it elsewhere, but a new editor is unlikely to make it into XF 2.3. Although this does give us ample time to get it right.
Fair enough. Is there any other editor you have eyes on?

What about updating it to the latest Froala editor, or at least a recent version? Surely that would have less* bugs in it?

*Said with trepidation lol.

At the time of release, XF 2.2.13 had the latest Froala release.

But, traditionally; most new versions introduce more bugs than they fix.

The big issue I think is that it’s a proprietary license and we’re at the mercy of however many developers they have with little to know oversight of the code or any significant community behind it who can submit fixes or vet the quality.

The next editor we choose will very likely have an open license and a community behind it to contribute bug reports, oversee them and publicly collaborate on fixes and quality control.

But, traditionally; most new versions introduce more bugs than they fix.
And they charge so much money for this? Yeah, I'd change the product, too.

I do know that if you guys did ever set your mind on developing your own editor, it would be high quality like the rest of your product.

Are you looking at the editors of Wikimedia, WordPress or any other open source CMS platform with a mass of end users and contributors?

Not really. The Wikimedia one is really just for their software and, honestly, I don’t think the Wordpress editor is the solution.

They undoubtedly have a lot of battle testing and group effort to maintain but also they’ve both been designed for other apps specifically and I don’t feel they’d be a good fit.

Top Bottom