Any sort of roadmap for Xenforo 2.3 ?

If XF wants to see the profit of continual (secondary) income from those of us that self-host, the way to do so is to provide upgrades/updates so that the forum owners want to pay for the support/updates. I think XF should be releasing more updates if they want to see more incoming income from those of us that will stay with the self-hosting option.

" XenForo 2.3 has been bubbling away for quite some time now and we are coming close to being able to show you the fruits of our labours. I'm confident you will all find something valuable in the new version when all is revealed. "

That was from Kier i believe in Sept... almost more then half a year, has passed so far. Nothing new. Don't get me wrong, nothing is blocking current version but sometimes, folks who are very keen on new version, get frustrated seeing, how months go by without news on the next version.

For me at least "coming close" is like release in next 1-2 months max and not half year.

That's a terrible idea.

They've already got that with XF Cloud anyway. If the monthly payment stops, the site stops.
Cloud comes with hosting and its own benefits and limitations.

Why not turn the hosted product into something that requires annual payments to work? I get pretty upset thinking about the dozen or so private add-ons I created for my site only to have the developer stop releasing updates. At least if they went to a pay to work model then I would feel like I was paying for something.

Cloud comes with hosting and its own benefits and limitations.

Why not turn the hosted product into something that requires annual payments to work? I get pretty upset thinking about the dozen or so private add-ons I created for my site only to have the developer stop releasing updates. At least if they went to a pay to work model then I would feel like I was paying for something.
So, you want to be forced into paying a regular fee to keep your self hosted installation going? That's madness and from the reactions of others here, they think so too.

It's obvious that one must pay monthly for a managed hosting option, so there's no argument against that.

Well, given how frequently PHP vomits out a new update (once a year) and how much stricter things are getting with each progressive update, you might find you have to stay subscribing for patching purposes.

But for the 'I pay when I want to' folks, just consider - you get frustrated that add-on developers disappear. Could it be that they're not able to support themselves or their projects in the 'pay infrequently' model?

So many devs left us. ✅

Many abandoned addons. ✅

Some devs are around but they stopped releasing new stuff or at least nothing frequent and they don't care anymore (be it addons or features in existing ones). ✅

Some people who could provide addons don't want to release any addons because of reasons. ✅

This place is not even 1/10th as active as it was once, meaning the addon market / community is struggling extremely. ✅

XF's development pace is very slow. ✅

This Is Fine GIF

Making it so the software licence is required to keep using the software is a move Woltlab looked at because they weren’t able to continue to support self hosting otherwise.
I'd be happy if they did a system where you can only extend whilst your current license is valid (or up to a certain grace period)

If you miss that then you need to pay a reactivation fee (say $50)

We're in a catch 22 now. No one wants to renew because there's nothing worth renewing for, but I'm guessing because of this there's no inflow of money into the company to actually pay extra staff to hurry development up...

I'd be happy if they did a system where you can only extend whilst your current license is valid (or up to a certain grace period)

If you miss that then you need to pay a reactivation fee (say $50)

We're in a catch 22 now. No one wants to renew because there's nothing worth renewing for, but I'm guessing because of this there's no inflow of money into the company to actually pay extra staff to hurry development up...
If every member of this forum (172,000 rounded down) owned a license with every add-on, XenForo would only need ~12,000 Cloud customers to make the equivalent income.

So, it is unlikely that they are hurting for money right now 🙃.

Adding developers is not going to speed up the current development process, it would slow it down as they would need to get them up to speed on what is currently being done.

Adding developers is not going to speed up the current development process, it would slow it down as they would need to get them up to speed on what is currently being done.
It doesn't take that long to bring an experienced dev up to speed, otherwise companies would never employ anyone new 🤣

It doesn't take that long to bring an experienced dev up to speed, otherwise companies would never employ anyone new 🤣
🙃 employing someone and employing someone when you are drastically behind schedule with a team of 4 (I do not know NixFifty's involvement, as I believe he is still part-time) developers.

Unless the developer was brought in for a very narrow role for 2.3, it would be more detrimental than helpful. Even in larger companies, you do not normally hire for the immediate deadline (that is behind schedule), but in preparation for the next deadline.

Someone has read The Mythical Man-Month. (y)
I haven't actually. 🤣 But my boss doesn't seem to understand as they think throwing more people at it will get it done quicker. Not really the case in my line of work. Well maybe but quality will suffer as it'll be all disjointed.

Top Bottom