Any plans for a CMS?

gmaister22

The reason i still haven't moved to xenForo is that you guys do not have an IP.Content replacement...

Are there any plans for it?

The responsive design (closer to adaptive, though not entirely that) needs work too... It's much too limiting in the way things have been done and it's had me almost punch a hole in my monitor in frustration at how limited it has become to differentiate styles.

LMAO - you too? I've been juggling getting things to resize and hide on the various responsive widths and still not quite there yet and it had me banging my head on the desk. :ROFLMAO: Totally agree that it needs more improvements made to it.

Edit added.

Last edited:
You really going to make me type out a list? It would be easier to just disagree with my opinion. :D

- Trophies system needs extended there's just so much more that can be done with this.
- Smiley system needs vital functionality (mass uploading)
- TM (needs extending) to cater for the styling side.
- More Spam prevention features.
- More tightly integrated members profile system (so much can be done to this)
- User management extended
- Navigation Manager
- More permissions

Just a small list from the top of my head. The forum core whether you agree or disagree needs more maturing hence I hope the focus remains on the forum side. Don't even get me started on the Resource Manager I have 3 add-ons tied into it that I feel i shouldn't mainly permission type add-ons. :)
i really have no issues with any suggestions... throw them up i say (will do mine too).. and make it a better piece... but are you sure XF will see the way you want it improved?

i really have no issues with any suggestions... throw them up i say (will do mine too).. and make it a better piece... but are you sure XF will see the way you want it improved?

Some of the stuff I do expect (smiley management functionality) there's just no getting away from that, most of it probably not since it depends on Mike & Kier and what direction they want to go with the features that already exist.
Tag username I expect to be extended so tags can be used in profiles.

It's really a guessing game. I mean my list doesn't necessarily mean it will all be implemented, or even a fraction on what is on my list but I do think the devs and the majority want to see the forum side mature more even though 1.2 has made great strides in giving us alot of much need features and functionality.

I would vote for a official bridge for wordpress (or Joomla or Drupal or any other nice CMS). They all are open source and any changes are known very long before each new version.

Easier to maintain, by far.

A CMS would be so handy, is there any development going at the moment?
That would be usefull information, just knowing that they are developing it is for me good enough.

Unfortunately, no.
With Simple Portal, we collected a lot of feedback and experience (still learning). It is a great free addon, but it was never meant to be a full CMS. So, awhile ago, we decided to take Simple Portal to the next level, the CMS.
We also have a few addons that need upgrading and support for 1.2, so that is slowing us down a bit as well.

Unfortunately, no.
With Simple Portal, we collected a lot of feedback and experience (still learning). It is a great free addon, but it was never meant to be a full CMS. So, awhile ago, we decided to take Simple Portal to the next level, the CMS.
We also have a few addons that need upgrading and support for 1.2, so that is slowing us down a bit as well.
I'm waiting! :D

Hopefully I can buy branding free version. :)

Unfortunately, no.

Good to see that existing add-ons are taken care of first before moving on to other projects. Seen many times where a developer will move on and neglect existing resources and good to hear that this is not the case here. I'm not a portal/CMS kind of person but your portal was a portal I did like. It's the one I'd still use if/when I add a landing page.

Unfortunately, no.
Really looking forward to a great portal and I am sure you will deliver it :) Simple Portal is not really that kind of portal I would use (it lacks necessary features for me), but I would be more than happy to give you my feedback. If you will need any help or ideas, please let me know :)

Simple Portal is not really that kind of portal I would use (it lacks necessary features for me),
What's lacking? We are really grateful for any feedback!

A portal istn't a CMS!
A portal is a landingpage, delivering all kind of important informations for the user. (widgets are the only missing feature, but you're already able to use bd widget framework to show widgets on the portalpage and the next version will have a much better interface for the bd widegts framework addon. We still think, that it's not necessary to provide just another widget framework type like xenporta. It's IMO much better to provide support for a already existing addon with dozen existing widgets! Including just another widget type would be a horror for great coders like @bobster65 because they would have to provide more widgets for their addons)
That's also the reason, why we hope to see a official xenforo implemention of widgets/sidebar blocks.

A proper bridge would probably persuade some to buy Xenforo licenses. If only a tiny share of wordpress sites bought a xenforo license, Xenforo could grow a lot also.

They all are open source and any changes are known very long before each new version.

Easier to maintain, by far.

I believe that neither of you read my response.
  1. What do you mean by "proper" bridge? I suspect it's "I want feature xyz".
  2. Maintenance of a bridge is not "easy." WP changes constantly and is a moving target.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/any-plans-for-a-cms.48517/page-7#post-593869

What's lacking? We are really grateful for any feedback!
Look here please:

http://www.ps3mania.sk/

phpBB3 with custom modifications and portal landing page. What I want from a portal as an owner of a gaming site? What I have now and probably none of the soultions offer it atm.

1. To have a nice slider. One checkbox for a thread. You check that box and your thread will be promoted and will appear in that slider.
2. I want all threads created in a certain forum automatically to be added to the portal landing page.
3. Not sure why most of the portals here (XenPorta too) uses thread creators avatar as an image for the portal. I want to use any image and not thread creators avatar. That makes no sense to me. Image realted to that thread makes more sense to me. In my case, it is the thumbnail of my first image from the thread. Image should be by default on the left hand side and text next to it. Just as you can see it on my site. It is not in english, but I am sure you will get the most important info from there :)
4. Also I don't really get it why most people show the whole thread on the portal page, it should really be just the first few sentences and then after click you can read the whole thread. The text shouldn't be higher the the height of image.

Top Bottom