Any plans for a CMS?

gmaister22

The reason i still haven't moved to xenForo is that you guys do not have an IP.Content replacement...

Are there any plans for it?

Look here please:

http://www.ps3mania.sk/

phpBB3 with custom modifications and portal landing page. What I want from a portal as an owner of a gaming site? What I have now and probably none of the soultions offer it atm.

1. To have a nice slider. One checkbox for a thread. You check that box and your thread will be promoted and will appear in that slider.
we don't provide this ATM:(

2. I want all threads created in a certain forum automatically to be added to the portal landing page.

is included in the next version

3. Not sure why most of the portals here (XenPorta too) uses thread creators avatar as an image for the portal. I want to use any image and not thread creators avatar. That makes no sense to me. Image realted to that thread makes more sense to me. In my case, it is the thumbnail of my first image from the thread. Image should be by default on the left hand side and text next to it. Just as you can see it on my site. It is not in english, but I am sure you will get the most important info from there :)
included already

4. Also I don't really get it why most people show the whole thread on the portal page, it should really be just the first few sentences and then after click you can read the whole thread. The text shouldn't be higher the the height of image.
included already

and thx for the great feedback ! really appreciative it

Glad I could help. If it will help you in anyway I will provide you my slider so you can implement (include) it in your next version :) Trust me, it puts portal to one level higher ;) And I really don't like the XenPorta's slider :sick:

I forgot one thing though. Tags are very important too. So you click on one tag and it shows you all other portal threads tagged with the same tag :)

If any other things will come to my mind I will let you know.

Look here please:

http://www.ps3mania.sk/

phpBB3 with custom modifications and portal landing page. What I want from a portal as an owner of a gaming site? What I have now and probably none of the soultions offer it atm.

1. To have a nice slider. One checkbox for a thread. You check that box and your thread will be promoted and will appear in that slider.
2. I want all threads created in a certain forum automatically to be added to the portal landing page.
3. Not sure why most of the portals here (XenPorta too) uses thread creators avatar as an image for the portal. I want to use any image and not thread creators avatar. That makes no sense to me. Image realted to that thread makes more sense to me. In my case, it is the thumbnail of my first image from the thread. Image should be by default on the left hand side and text next to it. Just as you can see it on my site. It is not in english, but I am sure you will get the most important info from there :)
4. Also I don't really get it why most people show the whole thread on the portal page, it should really be just the first few sentences and then after click you can read the whole thread. The text shouldn't be higher the the height of image.
XenPorta can pretty much everything in all of your points. There's both auto and manual promotion of posts. You can use any image rather than the author's avatar. You can so specify how much appears on the portal page, it doesn't have to be the whole article.

Incidentally I went from phpBB & WordPress to Xenforo and I've never looked back. :)

I believe that neither of you read my response.
  1. What do you mean by "proper" bridge? I suspect it's "I want feature xyz".
  2. Maintenance of a bridge is not "easy." WP changes constantly and is a moving target.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/any-plans-for-a-cms.48517/page-7#post-593869

1. I want all the features of both worlds, with the same userbase and some additions (like: comments in WP should be real posts in forum - no community fragmentation)
2. Besides namespace colision (that is a true pain) the WP development cycle is well know and established - there's no surprises. And they would like a "partner" like XF

(I have an 5k articles WP and a 3M posts vB4 - I would love to have both really close together. Being a System Engineer myself unfortunately I lack the spare time - now I have a kid to look after :) )

XenPorta can pretty much everything in all of your points. There's both auto and manual promotion of posts. You can use any image rather than the author's avatar. You can so specify how much appears on the portal page, it doesn't have to be the whole article.

Incidentally I went from phpBB & WordPress to Xenforo and I've never looked back. :)
I never used WordPress on any of my sites, custom work always did it for me :) Thanks for this helpful info! Too bad, that Jaxel is not providing support for XenPorta. He doesn't even reply to Conversation. I would gladly buy portal solution and get support for that. Also it is not compatible yet with 1.2 which is another cons for me :(

comments in WP should be real posts in forum - no community fragmentation)

WP comments are posted to the XF forum using XS.

2. Besides namespace colision (that is a true pain) the WP development cycle is well know and established - there's no surprises. And they would like a "partner" like XF

I disagree. This blog post states the current state of WP dev in good context:

There are about fifty ways to perform any given operation in WordPress, but determining which way is best pretty much depends who you talk to.

Of course, I enjoyed laughing at the description of WP code as spaghetti.

I never used WordPress on any of my sites, custom work always did it for me :) Thanks for this helpful info! Too bad, that Jaxel is not providing support for XenPorta. He doesn't even reply to Conversation. I would gladly buy portal solution and get support for that. Also it is not compatible yet with 1.2 which is another cons for me :(
XenPorta has a beta for 1.2, check the XenPorta thread. It will get updated as Jaxel uses it on his site.

I would like to be able to assign categories to my article posts and then people can sort to view content. Then create a customized homepage. Maybe a slider. Community highlights area, etc.

I would like to be able to assign categories to my article posts and then people can sort to view content. Then create a customized homepage. Maybe a slider. Community highlights area, etc.
Have you had a look at XenZine Articles? It doesn't have a slider as such, but has them available for highlighted content (Editors Picks) and highest rated articles. Has categorisation and can be used as a front page (with a few choices). Not sure if that would suit you, but it's a suggestion at least. :p

XenPorta is also hot.

Have you had a look at XenZine Articles? It doesn't have a slider as such, but has them available for highlighted content (Editors Picks) and highest rated articles. Has categorisation and can be used as a front page (with a few choices). Not sure if that would suit you, but it's a suggestion at least. :p

XenPorta is also hot.
XenPorta is not fit for large sites; nearly every large site I've seen use it has had their server crash constantly.

A lot of the portals I've seen have that issue...
I had planned on jumping into this thread earlier but, honestly, I could not decide whether or not I'd like to see a CMS by Mike and Kier or whether I prefer the focus to remain on the forum side of things.

Do Widget Portal and Simple Portal have the same issues?

Too bad, that Jaxel is not providing support for XenPorta. He doesn't even reply to Conversation.
XenPorta is so widely used that any issues with it I think most members could help you answer.
XenPorta is not fit for large sites; nearly every large site I've seen use it has had their server crash constantly.
No problems using it here on a fairly sized site.

XenPorta is so widely used that any issues with it I think most members could help you answer.

No problems using it here on a fairly sized site.

This was an issue with how certain things are done in XenPorta, and how it has an excessive amount of queries for what it does.

I'm also talking about boards that are upwards 5 million or more posts (Se7enSins and SmashBoards are two of the boards that had issues).

Yes, Scott explains it well:

Why does anyone ask for a bridge to Wordpress for any forum software? It's because they are locked into a "forum only" software, but actually want to do more for their community and their site in terms of content. And to me, a bridge to Wordpress is a really, really lousy solution to the problems they are running into.

I've used Wordpress and am actually using it to start to market our new project too (along side Xenforo without a bridge), but WP is sooo lacking in so much of what I think a good online community (or even CMS) platform these days should have. Most importantly, a really decent discussion engine. That is why so many people try to "attach" a good forum system to it.

Also, from a UI standpoint, Wordpress is a bit of a mess and outdated and when I see how some 3rd party plug-in developers stray away from the few UI standards WP has set, I think the back-end UI then gets even messier and confusing. Add-ons should melt into the UI and become a part of the platform/ system and NOT be a wart on top of it.

Today, I really think a larger and growing number of people are looking for a major step up in the base software they work with for their online communities. Wordpress is great for blogs, but as an overall content creation tool, well, it is only superficially good. And, as I mentioned, it's commenting/ discussion system is horrible.

Forum software pretty much all have a pretty good basis for forums and community discussion, but miss out on other possibilities for content creation. If do you want more, you need add-ons or bridges. And both of these solutions end up being quite restrictive in the end too. The only real solution is to be or have a very good programmer with a good knowledge of the software's framework and programming concepts to carry out your ideas. This is not only a pain, it also gets quite costly over time, because the programming you create constantly needs updating to keep up with newer versions of the software. Or even worse, you get locked into an old version and "staying with the times" is incredibly difficult, if not impossible.

We simply need to break this mold. We need a platform that lets site owners create their own ideas much easier, with less need for programming and be able to attach a very good discussion engine to those "ideas" simply and easily. However, it also needs to be a platform, where a larger number of developers are already aware of how to develop within a standardized platform. It needs to be a platform, where the ideas won't become obsolete with newer versions of the platform. This is actually what we are working on currently with our new project called Skooppa. You'll be hearing more about Skooppa in the coming months. :)

Is that expanded enough?;) I hope it was ok to make that plug here too. It just seemed to fit so well. Hehehe...

Scott

Its clear to me that KAM are so far consistently implementing the top voted suggestions. If you look at the top voted suggestions that are open, many of these relate to content management:
Advanced Navigation Tabs and Sub-Tabs
A personalized entrance page
XenHome: The Multi-Purpose Portal/Front End/Blog/Article System
Xenforo & Wordpress Bridge
native wiki
[Suggestion] Blocks system / sidebar widgets
Task Manager
Integrated Blogs
Add custom pages to the help system

If you consider that these are the top voted feature requests then I don't see how XenForo could not introduce a Content Management System or expand the existing XenForo Content Management functionality. It's simply what customers need.

Its clear to me that KAM are so far consistently implementing the top voted suggestions. If you look at the top voted suggestions that are open, many of these relate to content management:
Advanced Navigation Tabs and Sub-Tabs
A personalized entrance page
XenHome: The Multi-Purpose Portal/Front End/Blog/Article System
Xenforo & Wordpress Bridge
native wiki
[Suggestion] Blocks system / sidebar widgets
Task Manager
Integrated Blogs
Add custom pages to the help system

If you consider that these are the top voted feature requests then I don't see how XenForo could not introduce a Content Management System or expand the existing XenForo Content Management functionality. It's simply what customers need.

This makes it pretty clear what people want. Even years ago when Xenforo launched people were looking for a CMS solution.

Top Bottom