Any good news? Please help to stop rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that whatever the release date is, it will be a great release! I have great faith in this software and am hoping to see great things soon. Whether is is on the the date suggested or not, I look forward to updating as soon as it is ready.

Best wishes, guys!

Do they put up a beta site version and let existing customers log in and use it?

They havent been following their previous modus operandi so I cant really say for sure. Previously they had a very good system.

They would upgrade xenforo.com with the new version to test it and release betas, then they would use feedback to bring the new release up to gold. Plus they would release 'Have You Seen' videos to keep us hooked.

Kier stated they AIM to have it out in Q2 of this year, not they WILL have it out in Q2 this year.

Bear that in mind.

I have, which is why I said I'll be happy either with the release of 1.2 or a timely announcement of a new schedule.

Look, how can there be a "countdown" to an ESTIMATED release date?

Worse yet, a countdown to a BETA???
:)

Funny how we notice, and somewhat excuse, stuff like Vaultwiki being 6 months or a year behind, but then count the days down to an estimated beta!

But, just for fun, my prediction is that 1.2 will rock and will include more than just a few bug fixes and upgrades. Speculation, of course, but guys like K&M could make fixes and small features in a week. Something that is under development for months is probably much more serious!

The deadlines are just approximates.

Only when served with jumbo shrimp.

1. The owners/developers go dark after being chatmandus promoting and fluffing their product (good communicators and promoters)
2. The website goes offline for non-renewal. With Network Solutions renewal, even auto renewal, you have to beat the reminders off with a stick.
3. The developer's own website is down for hours/days and no communication to members (the "What's with Spacebattles.com?" thread).

At some point we've got a dead parrot or an absentee landlord (to go with the jumbo shrimp).

Even if everything was on the stairway to heaven, it's just plain rude not to communicate with customers, members, supporters. Even if everything is to hell in a handbasket, it's still rude. Worst case, XenForo folds . People will remember how they handled it, upfront and communicating with those who supported them is always the way to go.

The deadlines are just approximates.
Let's be real people.

They are, but most people just want solid information and not when it will be released. Take IPB for example they blog and make sure every one knows in advanced when new stuff is coming it does not have to be a full A4 page full but a couple of lines. Also updates take the resource add-on would be nice if we could have some updates like whats happening in development and if it needs special stuff etc etc. I think most want the updates that they did before. For me its the vision behind the software and whats the ideas is i hate short term stuff i want to plan ahead. Like i said before do it like this take all the big suggestions that are made in there and then prioritize like this for example:

1. CMS (No plans for 12 months)
2. Recourse manager (Work in Progress in development)
3. Gallery (Discussion internal)
4. Blogs (Discussion internal/Forum for features)
5. Groups (Rejected)

etc etc etc, it can be a lot of work but when done people will know what to come without knowing a date then they can start investing in bridges or other stuff so they do not invest in unnecessary stuff that will be made within 12 months. Like i said i hate short term thinking. For others it might be deliver it on time like Q2 is Q2 but for me it then becomes quality before releasing on time.

Apple has been quite successful without letting folks know until the product hits the streets (or close).

There are various methods for such marketing - each have their pros and cons. I think the concerns here was really the change in communication type. That too could have been eliminated with a short note explaining such...

As far as knowing what to develop based on road maps, I'd refer you to the usual case of other companies announcing road maps, plans and promises and then being years late or not doing them at all. In other words, if you are going to announce such things, you have to have a decent record in follow through.

5. Groups (Rejected)

etc etc etc, it can be a lot of work but when done people will know what to come without knowing a date then they can start investing in bridges or other stuff so they do not invest in unnecessary stuff that will be made within 12 months. Like i said i hate short term thinking. For others it might be deliver it on time like Q2 is Q2 but for me it then becomes quality before releasing on time.
Groups was rejected? Happen to have a source for that, because that's a huge downer. I know there's the social groups addon, but that one doesn't quite cut it for me.

Either way:
Take IPB for example they blog and make sure every one knows in advanced when new stuff is coming it does not have to be a full A4 page full but a couple of lines. Also updates take the resource add-on would be nice if we could have some updates like whats happening in development and if it needs special stuff etc etc. I think most want the updates that they did before. For me its the vision behind the software and whats the ideas is i hate short term stuff i want to plan ahead.
I'd settle for a commit log, e.g.

Mon June 4 - Kier : implemented feature X
Mon June 4 - Mike: bug fix, Y
Mon June 5 - Kier : added sparkly unicorns to Z links.
Mon June 5 - Mike: reversed sparkly unicorns.

Apple has been quite successful without letting folks know until the product hits the streets (or close).

There are various methods for such marketing - each have their pros and cons. I think the concerns here was really the change in communication type. That too could have been eliminated with a short note explaining such...

As far as knowing what to develop based on road maps, I'd refer you to the usual case of other companies announcing road maps, plans and promises and then being years late or not doing them at all. In other words, if you are going to announce such things, you have to have a decent record in follow through.

In all fairness, there have been a lot of promises made, I think it's more a matter of knowing what is being worked on and how much it has progressed to many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom