Any good news? Please help to stop rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit out of date and not what many are asking maybe good enough for you if you have no ambition to grow in online activity.

People are asking for up to date information not something that's a month old and in internet terms month old equals years at the moment. The only company that gives at the moment good information about up coming releases is IPB they have the art of involving people in development and product figured out and make good use of it.

I can't help you there. This is all of the 1.2 information at this time:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/development-update.25726/

my old software was YEARS behind in carrying out their upgrade promises...which never happened at all. I used the software the whole time and could still use it fine today. So the very idea of a month or two...or even a year at this point (with the stable release) means much seems strange to me.

We all have to make decisions, i. e. using/buying a certain cms or buying certain addons - and get on with it. I still remember vB promising this and that... and I kept waiting... weeks, months, finally more than 1 1/2 years. I am not going to accept this sort of "miscooperation" again. It might be ok for you... but I am not happy with it. And, citing we_are_borg:

"but they also need to think about their customers that have entrusted them with development of software that they use to make a living. "

we_are_borg is definitely right.

Still: All I wish is just a reliable sign that there is nothing to worry about (I would not mind a delay), i .e. not a link to an old message.

We all have to make decisions, i. e. using/buying a certain cms or buying certain addons - and get on with it. I still remember vB promising this and that... and I kept waiting... weeks, months, finally more than 1 1/2 years. I am not going to accept this sort of "miscooperation" again. It might be ok for you... but I am not happy with it. And, citing we_are_borg:

we_are_borg is definitely right.

Still: All I wish is just a reliable sign that there is nothing to worry about (I would not mind a delay), i .e. not a link to an old message.

To be fair you see it with lots of companies lately some add-on developers that promised stuff haven't even completed it.

But in the end even with Xenforo lots of hype but when people are affected by not updating sales will get lower and renewals to. The big boards list 2 moved away from Xenforo one is on vBulletin again.

It's crap like this that makes me hesitant to even visit this site anymore.

XenForo is alive and kicking, all the rumors are spread by FUD driving trolls who have a history of doing so. The only thing dying on XenForo is the community, and that is because people are buying into the rumors which leads to fighting, even when there are official statements.

Kier, Mike and Ashley have all made statements regarding the current state of development, there is news regarding the court case (Which has been positive), and there is no basis for any of the what-if rumors.

To be fair you see it with lots of companies lately some add-on developers that promised stuff haven't even completed it.

But in the end even with Xenforo lots of hype but when people are affected by not updating sales will get lower and renewals to. The big boards list 2 moved away from Xenforo one is on vBulletin again.

Which projects? There are a few that have reasons for their delays.

Two big boards might have moved away, but I know of about 10 who are planning to move to XenForo (I've already been contacted to do designs for all of them). There are some boards that aren't exactly big, but are well known due to their niche on XenForo, which sometimes means more than stats.

We all have to make decisions, i. e. using/buying a certain cms or buying certain addons - and get on with it. I still remember vB promising this and that... and I kept waiting... weeks, months, finally more than 1 1/2 years.
So, if they promised and strung us along for a couple years...we'd be happier?
:)

You can't win! There are no sure bets in the internet software game - open source probably is really the closest thing. At least that has a semi-good chance of not being abandoned.

As it stands they have missed zero deadlines. That's a pretty high standard.
As I remember, they were shooting for (not promising in stone!) BETA releases of the next update by the end of this month.

I'd say a reasonable person would add another 60 days to that for the usually delays - so if we hear nothing within about 90 days from now, I think we can then say "they are far behind their own release schedule". But that is complete speculation at this point!

I'm with you in spirit. They definitely don't seem to have the business sense (PR, communication) needed to succeed in the long run. But this is often the case with programmers - which is why there is usually someone else running those departments!

I'm with you in spirit. They definitely don't seem to have the business sense (PR, communication) needed to succeed in the long run. But this is often the case with programmers - which is why there is usually someone else running those departments!

And usually costs money also, of which, they have none going spare due to the lawsuit.

Sorry to burst folks bubble but even if 1.2 gets released this Q2, more rumors will start. If you keep up with the certain folks talking about these rumors, they take everything out of context and twist it beyond belief. Sure... it's worrisome at times but... in the end we still having an amazing functional forum board. We don't need maintenance releases every week, I'm looking forward to 1.2 this quarter, and believe me, my pitchfork will be out as well if they don't announce a delay and fail to release it.

Let's layoff these shenanigans until the end of Q2, and if no announcement is made, then we'll come out swinging.

Sorry to burst folks bubble but even if 1.2 gets released this Q2, more rumors will start. If you keep up with the certain folks talking about these rumors, they take everything out of context and twist it beyond belief. Sure... it's worrisome at times but... in the end we still having an amazing functional forum board. We don't need maintenance releases every week, I'm looking forward to 1.2 this quarter, and believe me, my pitchfork will be out as well if they don't announce a delay and fail to release it.

Let's layoff these shenanigans until the end of Q2, and if no announcement is made, then we'll come out swinging.

This is not about Xenforo 1.2 or even the new add-on that will come out eventually. People want involvement of developers not fan-boy behavior like nothing can or will go wrong, that all ready costed me a website with vBulletin. To be fair the quality of Xenforo is high and detail is good to, but that is not the whole equation. The whole equation is development+what's to come+features+improvements = software that is ahead of its time and can keep up the pace with the evolution of websites. Then what are the developers thinking of scratching and will never make it in the software for at least a year, that way we can invest resources our self's and have it for at least a year. I can hope everything people in the suggestion forum will make it but even KAM are not that good, but by knowing what has a real shot of making it we can plan ahead.

And usually costs money also, of which, they have none going spare due to the lawsuit.

But good PR will bring in more money and it has not to be a full time job the first 3 months or so you need more time but after that only a few hours a month. But good PR needs full access to developers and so on, that way he can be on the message. Take for example the resource manager people want it but it does not matter if it comes to day or 3 months from now that tells me they want it but have not set real goals for its use, people that say they want it yesterday have thought about it and are willing to spend money on it. Good PR is key and he/she can do a bit of marketing and research what people want etc etc.

This is not about Xenforo 1.2 or even the new add-on that will come out eventually. People want involvement of developers not fan-boy behavior like nothing can or will go wrong, that all ready costed me a website with vBulletin. To be fair the quality of Xenforo is high and detail is good to, but that is not the whole equation. The whole equation is development+what's to come+features+improvements = software that is ahead of its time and can keep up the pace with the evolution of websites. Then what are the developers thinking of scratching and will never make it in the software for at least a year, that way we can invest resources our self's and have it for at least a year. I can hope everything people in the suggestion forum will make it but even KAM are not that good, but by knowing what has a real shot of making it we can plan ahead.

Unfortunately with Internet Brands draining time, energy, and reputation from XenForo, it is very much unlikely this will change anytime soon. The revenue generated by selling licenses of XenForo I would bet is probably covering a fraction of all legal expenses incurred. The rest of the money is probably coming out of pocket to cover XenForo operations, and living expenses.

So somehow between developing XenForo code, maintaining XenForo code, supporting XenForo customers, supporting their families, and maybe taking an extra job or two Kier, Mike, and Ashley needs to discuss how their day is? I'm thinking it's pretty lousy at the moment.

Actually this thread was to address the rumors regarding development, hence my reference to 1.2. However it seems as if you're trying to sidetrack the thread. It's been asked many times for some sort of road map, and KMA have obviously chose not to deliver one recently. That's their choice, it's their software, would I like one? Absolutely, I love finding out details about XenForo but it's not up to me. It's been said many times before, buy XenForo for what it does now, or you'll end up being that one board on the big forum list that converts back to someone else.

But good PR will bring in more money and it has not to be a full time job the first 3 months or so you need more time but after that only a few hours a month. But good PR needs full access to developers and so on, that way he can be on the message. Take for example the resource manager people want it but it does not matter if it comes to day or 3 months from now that tells me they want it but have not set real goals for its use, people that say they want it yesterday have thought about it and are willing to spend money on it. Good PR is key and he/she can do a bit of marketing and research what people want etc etc.

I think there's also a consideration that having any additional "paid" staff would result in prolonging the lawsuit, something that all XenForo stakeholders do not need at this point in time.

Stakeholders, yes. Everyone who is involved in some shape or form with XenForo, including, but not limited to, vendors, customers, owners, board of directors, investors, etc.
Makes sense now. I guess I was mistaking stakeholders for shareholders.

Actually this thread was to address the rumors regarding development, hence my reference to 1.2. However it seems as if you're trying to sidetrack the thread. It's been asked many times for some sort of road map, and KMA have obviously chose not to deliver one recently. That's their choice, it's their software, would I like one? Absolutely, I love finding out details about XenForo but it's not up to me. It's been said many times before, buy XenForo for what it does now, or you'll end up being that one board on the big forum list that converts back to someone else.

There should be more then 1.2 on peoples mind like i said i plan stuff on long term not a few weeks or one or two months.
I can buy what the forum software does now at this time and space but why would i then have to renew the software it does what it did when i bought it nothing more nothing less. But planning ahead that's another story all together that means that i need information on ahead and not after everything.

For me i am looking what i would do in the next months. vB get´s vB5, but i am feeling not happy because now they will cut the german support.
So i will look at vB 5, and if there are no minor improvements i will change.

I also have an eye on xenforo for some months and on ipb. I can´t understand why nobody here can say anything. Just look here:
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/

Sinth about one year there has nothing happened?

I really like the look and feel of xenforo and think it has big potential, but i can not understand why it is looking so poor at the moment. It seems to me that the developers have lost their interest. And that´s a bad sign.

So for me i think ipb is actually on the best way. They ask her customers and inform their customers, and that´s what i am missing ant vb and xenforo atm.

I look at this topic a little different from what others are posting.

If the devs of XF have some cool features to release and vB and others are getting ready to release their major products then the company "speaking" first will lose. This is because the others quickly copy new features. Instead, let vB release so that they show their hand. XF devs can speak up after. This also helps them legally to show they are not using vB ideas because XF 1.2 would be different. I suspect this is also an approach to "anything you say can and will be used against you." So stay silent regardless of the complaints and hope XF fans will help each other.

Hopefully that all makes sense - it's the shape of an idea not fully developed :notworthy:

This is because the others quickly copy new features. Instead, let vB release so that they show their hand. XF devs can speak up after. This also helps them legally to show they are not using vB ideas because XF 1.2 would be different.
Ok that is a god point.
But for me as a customer i need no feature list with all the points, but something like this: http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-7634-license-changes-ipboard-34-and-the-future/ will give a very goog feeling.
I think there is not sayed to much, but you as a customer get an idea about on what things would be worked in the next time.

It would be nice to reed something like this from Kier in the next time. Or just to see a killer 1.20 Release. ;-)

Hah, this made me laugh. The same reason was brought up by IB why they didn't want to post about new features or a roadmap. In the end it turned out there wasn't anything to talk about. You get the analogy?

If there were something to announce it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom